The latest on Bluefield's 2005 schedule...

Bluefield_Rules

This info comes from Fred Persinger:

--He hasn't talked to Mr. Godfrey in a couple of weeks, but he has heard that the South/Bluefield football game was going to happen. He'll talk to Godfrey tomorrow night to find out for sure.

--Grundy will be on the schedule

--He has heard that for a 10th game Bluefield might be picking up a team from the Roanoke area, but he didn't have a name. Hopefully we'll have more information after Friday night and as soon as I find out something I'll post it for everyone.

I'd guess that Grundy will play at Bluefield since they play Graham at Grundy this year...then flip flop it next year having Bluefield at home and Graham on the road...plus Bluefield was wanting both games at home at one point so I'd guess they would want the first one at home if they do agree to play one home and one away...but..that's just a guess I haven't heard anything official.

I dont care where they play that game, im gonna go to it no matter what. But i wish they had scheduled this a few years ago. It would have been a real good game, plus i would have gotten to play the beavers.

I honestly don't recall george simon's crew officiating any game at mitchell stadium in '04. I could be wrong, but I thought the crew for the martinsburg game were from the charleston area.

I know a charleston area crew officiated the bluefield graham game.

I was on the sideline when 1 of them looked at me early in the game and said "Is this normal? what is this, about 12,000?" Talking about the crowd. He was telling me they were from st. albans if I'm correct.

Anyhow, BigBlue02, wv uses different crews of refs from different areas a lot of the time. I'm certain you're refering to the '02 bluefield richlands game, and as george simon was mentioned, his crew is notorious for throwing more flags than fly on the independance day. His crew was ref that game.

That said, I also had the thought of patrick henry being the roanoke team since princeton is in that aaa conference starting in '05 and has a lot of different teams on their schedule, and they've played patrick henry in '03 and '04.

I recall Blfd. playing Patrick Henry of Roanoke back in the 80's a few times. Back then they were pretty good. Anyone know if they are still any good? Can't really tell much from when Princeton played them, I mean after all it WAS PRINCETON.

PH went 9-2 in 2000, losing twice to PC.

2-8 in 2001, 5-5 in 2002, 1-9 in 2003, and 2-8 last year. They were actually pretty good last year, despite their record. Six of their eight losses were by 9 points or less, and all of their losses were to teams with .500 or better records.

William Fleming has been better the last few years, but there's enough talent at PH if they can get a good coach.

In '81 bluefield played patrick henry at patrick henry, maybe the last game of the season.

Bluefield's jeff beckett scored early on the "boomerang" play, and it was a very close game. But patrick henry was victorious and prevented a talented bluefield team from making the wv playoffs. It was an 8 team format then and 7 -3 wasn't enough to make the playoffs then.

I was in 9th grade that season and was at fairview jr. high, only 10 - 12 in high school back then.

In '82, my sophmore season patrick henry travel to bluefield.

Bluefield was up 14 - 0 after 2 quarters but patrick henry outscored bluefield 35 - 0 in the 3rd and 4th quarters for the victory. I recall that game well, I returned a punt for a score in the 2nd, but it was called back, and in the 3rd # 84 for patrick henry, a very big player, broke my nose really bad on a kickoff with his forearm. We had more open face masks back then.

In '83, bluefield again traveled to victory stadium in roanoke and was defeated again by patrick henry in a close game. My nose wasn't broken that game but darned if # 84 didn't stick me really good on a punt I didn't call a fair catch on.

Bluefield also played cave spring in the grid o rama in '82, and played a 9 - 0 # 1 aaa sullivan south of tn. the last game of the season and upset them 21 - 7. Bluefield also traveled to sullivan south in '83 and defeated them in a close game. Bluefield lateron had to forfeight that game though.

Bluefield also played sullivan south in '93 and was defeated 42 - 0 , unless I'm mistaken, in what would be bluefield's last game in aaa.

The only other tn team I recall bluefield ever playing was tenn. high, in '93 and '94 respectively. Tn high defeated bluefield 42 - 14 or 16 at "viking stadium?" in '93, and bluefield defeated tenn high by 1 or 2 scores in '94 at bluefield.

The officials on the Martinsburg were from the Princeton area. George Simons was nowhere to be found unless he was in the stands! The Martinsburg folks that I talked to thought they got a pretty fair shake. Something that didn't always happen when George and crew were on the case!