Virginia Preps Story- SWVA Coach Leaving

duke

I got looking around on the virginiapreps.com site and noticed something odd the other day. They have a future prospect out of VA high. Whats odd about that? Well he is class of 2008 and they list his stats against 8th graders. I dont know if any of you have seen the JV teams lately but boy they sure were down last season.

Someone brought it to their attention but I really dont think they know what they do at virginiapreps.com lol. Seems to me they just go by pure hearsay anyways.

yeah - i wondered about that too...even though vapreps doesn't have a clue, i have never seen them post a "futute prospect" 3-4 years before they graduate, much less before they even play a varsity game. sounds a little fishy to me - how do vapreps go about those prospect lists - anybody know???? oh well - guess it doesn't matter - it's just a list !!

I would doubt anyone from VA Preps ever comes to SWVA. This is just another pitiful attempt for them to cover an area that they know nothing about and whats more, doesn't want to learn anything about at all. Some yahoo over there probably heard of VA High one day and decided to do a piece on one of their players.

The players they have listed as "prospects" are submitted by coaches, news media, and other folks who they deem as "credible" sources (like me). If a player's name is on the list, it isn't because they (VAPreps.com) have seen the player in game action, its based on word of mouth, game film, and/or stats submitted by the sources mentioned above.

In defense of VAPreps, they don't have the manpower or resources to cover every game or see every team in action. They do the best with what they've got and rely very much on other websites (like SWVAFootball.com) and other people (like me) to help supply them with info for their site. In my opinion, VAPreps is one of the better Rivals.com high school websites...I've visited many of them for comparison...and it offers much more news and info on high school athletes than most of the others.

If you feel that there are players in SWVA being overlooked by their prospect list, send me their names, height, weight, and OFFICIAL stats from the previous season and I'll will certainly pass those names along to them.

[ QUOTE ]

I got looking around on the virginiapreps.com site and noticed something odd the other day. They have a future prospect out of VA high. Whats odd about that? Well he is class of 2008 and they list his stats against 8th graders. I dont know if any of you have seen the JV teams lately but boy they sure were down last season.

Someone brought it to their attention but I really dont think they know what they do at virginiapreps.com lol. Seems to me they just go by pure hearsay anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy...

I looked on the VAPreps.com Class of 2008 and don't see any kid from Virginia High. There is one from Gate City and one from Powell Valley though. The only mention I see of "stats" from middle school are the two kids from Stonewall Jackson in Manassas...and those are only strength and speed stats, not game stats.

VA Preps Class of 2008

And upon further review...there are NO KIDS FROM VIRGINIA HIGH listed in ANY CLASS on VAPreps.com...2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008.

[ QUOTE ]

Jimmy...

I looked on the VAPreps.com Class of 2008 and don't see any kid from Virginia High. There is one from Gate City and one from Powell Valley though. The only mention I see of "stats" from middle school are the two kids from Stonewall Jackson in Manassas...and those are only strength and speed stats, not game stats.

And upon further review...there are NO KIDS FROM VIRGINIA HIGH listed in ANY CLASS on VAPreps.com...2005, 2006, 2007, or 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I feel like a flaming jacka$$ now! blush.gif

jmarcum is right - it is on the vapreps site - i had just read it before i saw this thread, although i have to say - this is a joke right??? a "prospect" based on 8th grade stats???

Search Post New Poll | Post New Topic

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Top of Board

VirginiaPreps

user profile

VirginiaPreps

Post #11664 Future Prospect? Derek McClanahan of Virginia HS Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek McClanahan

Virginia High School

Class of 2008

Height:6-foot | Weight: 210

Middle Linebacker

4.7 In the 40

Bench Max-245

Didn’t play as a freshman due to a broken collarbone but averaged 18 tackles a game as an 8th grader and had 4 interceptions

Also had 8 touchdowns in 8 games at fullback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send us your athletic profile for FREE publication on VirginiaPreps.com - email: VaPreps@aol.com

This post was edited on 3/23 3:50 PM by VirginiaPreps

Not really sure how the kid got on the site but he is goina be a good player. Would have started varisty last year as a freshmen if he hadnt gotten hurt. The 40 time and bench press max are correct from what I have heard from the coaches. But I agree with everyone else that scouting kids in 8th and 9th grade is ridicilous.

i am in total agreement with you g-man ... never heard of him. i just made the post about it being on the site - the whole thing sound fishy to me - like a parent and/or kid may have submitted the info. IMO - i don't think any coach would submit anything on a kid who has never played high school ball !!! but who knows what's going on here !!!

The profile in question was provided to VaPreps - we generally publish as many of those as we can.

Before a player is added to our top player/prospect list we verify info with coaches, respected scouts, etc.

If you know of a player (s) that we should add to our top prospect database - please send it to us VirginiaPreps@aol.com

We are also looking for MORE profiles to publish - send those to the same email address.

We try to cover the entire state - and are always looking for reporters! Want to write - contact us! cool.gif

That was probably posted by one of his parents, most likely his dad. Because if it had been the coach and for some odd reason he was mentioning freshmen, then he probably would have mentioned the two that actually played. Randy White and Daniel Woods.