Garon Marcum Highlight Video....

Lance

His worst 40 time he ran for me a month and a half ago was 4.5 flat on grass. He has been practicing since then on 40's and bench. His bench is up 12 reps. He still have around 3 weeks before he has to go to nike camp but since he will be at 3 camps in 3 weeks(Univ of Georgia,Georgia Tech, Akron) he has plenty more time to work on them and consistent 40 times at all 3 will be enough to sway someone. Even if he doesnt go D1 im not worried about his future. He will be fine.

As for all the D1 doubters I dont see your reasoning. Tony Baker one of top RBs in the nation last year ran 4.5's at camps so that speed will be good enough just has to make sure to run that or faster. Like BigD said most schools are starting to focus on smaller rbs. Look at EMOH(i believe thats how its spelled at tech) and then tell me Garon is too small. NO way. IF hes too small how come he is going to Louisville this weekend?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does it seem like nobody wants anyone to go D1 around here? Always a bunch of "too small" "not fast enough" talk.

ALwyas seems like jealousy or something. Very few on here that post went D1 but heck I want all these kids to get out of here and do well. D1, D2, NAIA, or D3 as long as they get an education and try thats great!

Hey man I know your bro is a good ballplayer in all, but 4.5 speed is professional speed. Your top NFL backs run around 4.5. I have seen him run and he dont have that kind of speed. He is fast for a high school kid but he is not a 4.5. If he is he should be tearing them up in track. Im not taking anything away from him, he is a good back. he is definately not a 4.5. Didnt he get timed in a 4.7 at that camp or combine? Lets get back to reality!

I dont know about that one man? Marcum is pretty fast, not only is he fast..hes quick,(meaning juke, jive,spin on a dime) he can leave you laying, if your not paying attention and on your top-game, d/l that video of him, hes making ppl look stupid out there., and another thing is, your right he is only high school hes got another year to grow and learn the game..and about NFL running backs running 4.5, thats in pads..you run them in gym clothes and I say 80-90% will drop a 4.4 or lower. But back to Marcum, he for sure has a future in football, rather it be D-1, or lower. So show him some props grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Is marcum faster than steptoe?

Because i think steptoe is the fastest runner on bluefield track team. So i was just wondering who was faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steptoe is the fastest track team runner in West Virginia. And that is a proven fact.

Marcum is talked so highly(which he should) but what are his weaknesses? Trying to hard to do everything every play? And did you say he never lifts? Thats crazy to hear someone going to a D1 school with no lifting. If he goes out to D1, he should be getting stronger. So Louisville invited him? Thats pretty big, I would love to have Duke try and recruit me.

garon does lift, i used to lift with him when i was in high school, and a few times since i graduated. he lifts real hard and is getting stronger everyday, but yall know how i feel bout my boys aaron and garon, some of the best guys i know. like ive said before, Garon will go t oa good college and make an impact.

you know...you guys don't have to be so uptight about everything...just watch the video and go see some games in person then draw your own conclusions about it...I've been watching this kid since he was a 9th grader week in and week out make people look stupid on the field...he'll be fine.

Funny thing is most of you guys will never get the chance to know how he is in person...the whole Marcum family are some of the best people you could hope to meet. Garon is a good kid, takes his stuff seriously, puts out an honest 110% effort on every play, and puts in the time to make himself better...that's all you can ask.

What cracks me up are the people who sit in the stands and go all to HELL when he tries to make something happen and loses about 3 - 5 yards on a play...yet he will make the same move and score an 80 yard TD a few plays later and they stand and yell...I've always thought you have to expect that sort of thing from the type of runner he is.

Also...if you can't spell or speak some sort of english that we can understand...you probably shouldn't be ripping on people...lol. grin.gif

The playmaker has probably never "played" under the lights on a Friday night..lol

Getting to Garon's weakness, the only one, if there is one, is trying to hard. He is out there trying to make plays, every single play, and he busts ass, on every play. He lifts all the time now, and I have watched his 185 bench go from 1 rep to 12 now, and he will keep getting stronger. Good lord, will August ever get here? confused.gif

ok, i only get to read posts during the day, so let me give my 2 cents here since i was out when this conversation took off... and since some felt i was attacking.

like i said, i know nothing about Grundy football or this Marcum kid. i'm not trying to playa hate. all i know is the facts that have been given in this thread mostly... because i'm a homer, and usually - if the thread don't have to do with Bluefield in some way, then i don't read it. now i'm not from the BIG city of Coeburn or Grundy or even Richlands, but i've been around football long enough to know a thing or 2 about it... but take my opinions with a grain of salt. it's not life threatening, it's just my opinion. every year, every team has some stand out that their fans swear up and down is the greatest player ever. the greatest thing since -- well, since their last super star. i've got an entire list of those super star players from the last 10 years that were supposed to be D1 and go pro and bla, bla, bla... anyways, they swear their NEW super star already has ALL these D1 offers and it's guaranteed that they are going to be the next heisman winner and we're going to watch them on Sundays... yadda, yadda, yadda. we've all seen it and heard it. either in person or on some message board forum. and that's a good thing. if you don't support your own and believe in 'em, then who will??? so you're being a good, loyal fan. it's what you're supposed to do. but i'm an outsider and can look at things realisticly from an outsiders perspective. and the FACTS are, that he is a small kid from a small school/small town. to succeed with those type of factors, you have to be special - and maybe he is... we don't know yet. we just gotta wait and see how it unfolds. and his personality and him being one of the nicest kids ever doesn't have anything to do with playing D1. ask any, and i mean ANY college football coach, regardless of size, if they ever put a player at the top of their recruiting list because they were a good kid. NONE - because they want athletes!!! hell bent, ears laid back, ready to rock and roll athletes.

and DMAN - gimme a break - this kid ain't Barry Sanders. if he was, i would have heard of him... but i wish him luck. i honestly do... and if you open your eyes, you'll see that everyone else wants him to succeed too. not many from this area get a fair and honest chance. they're stereo typed because of where they're from. it's sad, because there is a lot of talent.

What DMAN is trying to say is based on this:

Barry Sanders senior season. Stats? 1,200 yards rushing and I think it was 13 touchdowns. Shocker huh? And guess what else, I have some of his senior year footage. You know what Bradshaw from Graham looked a lot more impressive than he did. Looked a lot faster and his stats spoke for it too. Yet someone took a shot on Barry and look how that turned out.

So DMAN reasoning is that Barry 'evolved' into the running back he became at Oklahoma State. SO in the same sense if someone took a shot on Garon then he would become even better too. D1 better. Gary Barnett cancelled his initial plans to go see Barry Sanders in high school because the day before he was scheduled to meet a player that was supposedly 6'6 and a monster. THe kid he saw would have been lucky to be 6'2 and he was so disgusted he decided not to go see another "average"player.

Garon doesnt run a 4.2 40. But neither did Barry Sanders coming out of high school. IM not comparing him to Barry, God no, theres only one Barry Sanders. I am just just using Barry as an example. Trust me when you see Sanders high school footage you would be amazed he got a scholarship. Theres none of the moves you have seen him make before, and no he wasnt injured he just simply only had 1200 yards rushing and a few touchdowns.

Nobody probably will offer Garon but so what? Its not where you start, its where you finish. So if they dont life goes on but players who go through the disgust of not going D1 have nothing to be ashamed of. Happens everyday.

Just to prove my point and give small school players something to work with. Here are some of the schools represented by players on the Tennessee Titans roster(im a patriots fan but used Titans anyways lol)

S.E. Missouri, Wisconsin- Stout, Morgan State, Alcorn State,Hofstra, and Tusculum.

i agree with you 100%. there is a chance... there is always a chance!!! they've just got to see the potential. but things are stacked against him, just like they was against Barry. they just gotta see the potential. and D1 don't mean [censored] to me neither. look at Jerry Rice, Terry Bradshaw, all those players for the Titans - yadda, yadda, yadda. where you come from don't matter in the scheme of things, but you know that it's hard to get a fair chance being from SWVA.

and a side note: damn Patriots!!!!! they've ruined my Super Bowl plans 3 times now. damn Patriots!!!!! tongue.gif

Lol. Hey they play team ball. I started liking them in 93 but since then they have totally evolved into a "team" under Billichek. So you gotta love how they get the job done. Ah im with em until I die and heck that might win like 20 more super bowl titles in my lifetime lol.

Ah man its just frustrating that someone works so hard and loves the game so much and his chances of playing somewhere D1 have nothing to do with his play as much as it does coach interaction and getting noticed out of the middle of nowhere. He and Aaron both eat, sleep, and breathe football I just hope the best for both of them and not being able to go D1 perhaps really sucks for players who worship the game as much as those two but hopefully something will happen for Garon and Aaron will go make the best of his opportunity.

Regardless of what happens, best of luck to the Marcum kid. I hope he haa an outstanding senior season (except when they face Bluefield) and I hope he lands a D1 ride somewhere. However, landing a scholarship to play at any level is an accomplishment and the best part if you get a free education, so I hope he'll take advantage of that first and foremost.

I didn't say Garon was Barry Sanders, but I said they told him the same thing about being small. But he is a prime example of overcoming adversity and becoming a star. Like jmarcum said, you'd be very surprised if you saw Barry's high school film. There's only one Barry Sanders and there will never be another like him, I only wish he hadn't retired so early.

There's too much negativity and backbiting going on these days on here. I'll admit I've done my fair share in the past but I've calmed down a lot. There's always someone around to point out the negatives and/or trash out a player, besides rallying around and supporting a player that has the potential to succeed. But the more I think about it, that's good, because it keeps things balanced, yin and yang. The successful player knows how to channel all that negativity into positive energy.

Sorry to get all philosopihcal, but my point is that while we all are rivals on the field, the high school rivalries stay in high school, and the ultimate goal should be to see more players succeed from this area. As big as rivals as Graham and Bradshaw were to us, it was good to see a local kid finally get a shot, because it exemplifies that other kids with potential around here can make it to the next level too.

My eyes are wide open, total. Mostly everyone is supporting him and that's great. However, there will always be a couple of doubters and nay-sayers, unfortunately even from our own area.

Along with jmarcum, I've been watching the Marcum kids as they grew up and evolved into the players they are today. As long as Garon keeps working hard and evolving as a player, I believe Garon has what it takes to succeed on the next level. I think he has that special spark that will drive him to success. Every player on any level, from the midgets to the pros, has to evolve. They cannot be satisfied with themselves, they must always look to get better and correct what they might be doing wrong. A wise man once told me "the biggest room in the world is the room for improvement."

i hope he does good... even against Bluefield - as long as we come out with 1 more point on the board wink.gif i know i always ejoyed watching Bradshaw, even against us. that come back that he almost single handidly orchestrated was one of the most amazing things i've ever seen. i was glad it happened, i was glad i was there, and glad we ended up with more points on the board. i pulled for him that season and am happy to see that he's doing something at Marshall. and if given the opportunity to excel in college, i'm sure he'll take advantage of it. i personally was asked about playing college football and how i did it... i just told 'em the good players adjust. just the same as you did from little league to Jr high, just as you did from Jr. high to high school... you adjust and get better. and i'm sure he will.

there's mud in yer eye -- haha

Guest BB_TWEEDER

[ QUOTE ]

y would anyone want to see a highlight video of hem man he ant even no good so way would any want to wast time on that its really funny that u grundys guy talk about hem like he is the best ever coem out of grundy he cant hold a light to plymal and scammel and even 4 that matter he cant hold a light to Shane Justice from hurley and if he can lets see if he can hole a light to hem at the track meet wenday

[/ QUOTE ] .... Im glad to see that you support shane. I do myself, but remember when ppl was doggin Hurley on here and how we posted and didnt like it? Man if all your going to go is dog ppl and change your name from ThaPlayMaker to theplaymakerjr then save yourslef the bother and give it up. PPl like you is that gives Hurley a bad name.

• 2 weeks later...