Marcum's performance in Akron gets him no respect!

jmarcum

Garon Marcum showed up at Akron Ohio's All American Camp and from the numbers how can he not have an offer or at least get some exposure.

Here is a link to the numbers he had there.

http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2005_akron.html

Here is a link to the full story. Everyone is mentioned but Garon it seems.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/383287.html

He put up the second fastest 40-yard dash. THe only one faster is a commit to Ohio State with offers from Oklahoma as well. He also had on track spikes and they put an asterix beside his name to indicate that he had track spikes on.

Ah I just hope that someone pays attention to him and just because he is in SWVA shouldnt hurt him the way it seems to be doing. Good numbers though im sure he will have a great senior season.

Just like at Nike Camps these writers know who they want to look at when they go see them and no matter what they do they just go on and on about how great they are when great athletes get overlooked at these camps and combines every single year. Too much bias. The kids should go through the drills without anyone knowing who they are and just have a number on them and after its over let COACHES review what they saw and from the number then write about the top performers after looking up the name of the player associated with each number. Some sort of unbiased grading system needs to be intact. Sparq ratings are good but still most of these so called experts go to see a few kids and see them for five minutes, find out there numbers and write about how GOD like their performances were. Shameful, very shameful.

I just feel sorry for the kids that are overlooked and will never get an offer because scout.com, rivals.com, and other sites dont take time to see what they are doing when up against the best athletes in the country.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

One player that we hadn't heard a lot about prior to the combine was Maple Heights (Ohio.) safety Andre Elliott. Elliott checked in at 6'-0.5" and 180 pounds, he ran a 4.59 40-yard dash, 4.37 shuttle, a 7.76 L-Cone. He then posted a 30" vertical jump and a 116" standing broad jump. During the one-on-ones Elliott displayed decent cover skills, and outstanding closing speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kids #'s were almost identical to Garon's...except he was a S and not an RB...guess that is the way it goes...ah well...he still had a good showing and proved he belongs in with the best...the rest will come...just hope he stays healthy and has a good season.

I emailed the author of the article and he was smug as you can imagine. I not only emailed him in regards to garon but it was the principal of it. He was so biased, just read the article. He is obviously a born and bred Ohioite. I told him that the best QB was not Chris Smith who he went on about. Yet it was another athlete, Garon is gonna tell me his name when we find a pic of him, that never underthrew his receivers like Smith did over and over again. But you know that lance. Heck you posted how garon was underthrow and had to come back to get it. WEll it was by Chris Smith the same qb that the author wrote was the best qb in Ohio.

Ah great athletes who perfrom good will always be overlooked. I just dont understand why they work them to death in these drills if they arent gonna break down the film and tell how great those who performed well did. Same thing happened last year at Nike Camp in Charlottesville with Garon as he didn test well but in the drills he continually beat the best rbs on the east coast. Lance can verify that too he saw it. Nobody could cover him either and when he caught a pass he made a move and was gone up the sideline. Well one thing is for sure garon is .4 faster in the 40 going into his senior season, 15 reps stronger in bench. So he is stronger and faster going into his senior season.But what happens after that is in the hands of coaches on both levels.

It's a frustrating thing...he just has to do his thing and open some eyes..he has the talent.

PS: emailing these guys and all that stuff won't do you any good and you know it...lol. grin.gif

Ah they can. I dont care. They didnt so i wrote back to what happened at Akron. You go to these camps and see players do well from Bluefield and get nothing wrote about them and you will be upset too

Actually i didnt hurt anything this time as I just talked with Mr. Lichtenfels and he is evaluating the film and said he has many more articles to write up about the combine and the players but that he hasnt had time to do all he wanted to since Saturday. So I didnt hurt anything.

Chris Wells is from Akron-Garfield, go figure. Bob sounds like a complete HOMER to me.

I have been to Ohio once in my life and I wasn't impressed. With the exceptions of Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, it's nothing but a bunch of flatland farms, the Amish, and rude obnoxious people.

Nevertheless, Garon still had some good results and I think he'll be ready for the season.

I will give my opinion on this, which is unbiased b/c I didn't even know Grundy existed until I started posting on this site and talking to people from Bluefield. This kid is a player, plain and simple. I watched the highlight tape lance posted a while back and the 40 tapes he just put up and this kid is a D1 athlete from what I can see. I wouldn't put too much stock into the Nike Camps and all that b/c as you said, they know who they like before the camp even starts. If he has the season he should w/ his ability, the colleges will start lining up to try to get him to sign his LOI to play for them. I hope he becomes a Mountaineer!!! grin.gif

My experience at Ohio State's summer camp as a junior will always leave me hating that program and the people there. When someone is lying on the turf in pain and possibly broken bones and you dont go up to them and ask them to borrow the Nike's on their feet. Also when you someone is on one leg and hoping up and down 5 flights of huge stairs you ask them if you can carry something to help them out but no player, coach, or staff offered a hand. As far as im concerned eddie george is the only thing good to ever come from Ohio State and I like him because he didnt even get an offer from a program but just persisted and walked on and then won the Heisman. As you can see with Maurice Clarett and the rumors with that program the people in that program have major attitude problems.

Good post Weir. I agree he can play with the big boys and not just because of his relation to me but not too many kids are blessed with his speed and the scary part is nobody has worked with him on starts or pushed him hard in a weight program designed to improve speed, agility, and overall athletic ability. Just like Vick when he went to tech his 40 time was 4.4, his vertical was 30 inches and when he left his 40 time was 4.2 and vertical 44 inches. So it goes to show you that a really fast player with athletic ability can work hard and become an amazing player. I just hope someone gives him that chance because you cant teach the speed he has.

And by the way man Garon was at that Weir vs. Bluefield game and told me how it all went down and all I can say to Bluefield is so lucky that Weir doesnt have the title. I know that will get some negative responses but if Weir would have ran the ball and made Bluefield drive on them and score twice, which the coach should have done, then the front page of this site wouldnt be like it was but thats just between us. I know I dont know anything about Weir but I think about what happened in that game all the time and i know the players there experienced one of the worst things that can happen to a team ever!

Does anyone from Weir or Bluefield have that game on tape? Id like to get a copy of it.

[ QUOTE ]

And by the way man Garon was at that Weir vs. Bluefield game and told me how it all went down and all I can say to Bluefield is they are so lucky that Weir doesnt have the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think some 'higher' power had something to do with that game. As i call is "Miricle at Mitchell"...

I think they should have ran the ball also. But we cant change the past. And this state championship for bluefield was long overdue... Sorry it had to come down like it did weirfootball. i would have loved to see wier/bluefield in the championship game....But that game wasnt won by us because of that pick off by mike D, or that missed extra point. I think it had to do with the great onside kick by lucas stone and the recovery..

Yeah jmarcum, it was a pretty bad experience. I was on the 03 team that lost to the Beavers in 2 OT's but it couldn't have compared to what these kids went through this past year. Anyways, that's in the past and I personally know that the upcoming seniors are working their tails off so nothing like this happens again. I think w/ the leadership and talent they have, they will finish what they started last year. And before anyone gets mad, I'm not taking anything away from Bluefield. But getting back to Garon, I think he's a real talent and will get plenty of offers by the time his senior season is over. From what you say, he sort of reminds me of a good friend of mine, Eric Turner who was my teammate from 7th grade through high school. Going into his senior year, everyone knew he was a great athlete but didn't have any offers. He pushed himself very hard that offseason to prove he was good enough and is now playing for WVU and could see some serious playing time on special teams as a redshirt freshman this season. Anyways, good luck to Garon and I hope everything works out for him.

We can never get too far away from the "Miracle at Mitchell" before it's brought back up can we? lol

Speaking of which, if anyone out there has a tape of the game I'd love to have a copy. Or if someone out there has the audio of Fred Persinger's call in the closing minutes and in OT I'd love to have that as well.

Ive always been a WVU fan until they forgot to show up and make any offers to either brother so i gave up on them but I would definitely forgive them if they offered Garon and then Aaron walked on there and earned a spot as well. In fact, Garon said that Aaron is just as good as the linebacker on your team that is going to WVU. That may be who you are talking about but Garon said that he looks just like our other brother and they both play the same.

[ QUOTE ]

We can never get too far away from the "Miracle at Mitchell" before it's brought back up can we? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i was the first person to come up with that slogan to be completley honest with you...lol

I herd fred was crying...lol

Well I have never seen Bluefield play or Weir but that game was definitely a shocker, heart breaker, miracle, and historical all at the same time. SO id love to see it myself. I wish I would have went with Garon to watch it that day. So yeah if anyone has extra copies of would dub some copies of it for us that want to see it id surely send some tapes to em.

WEll if you dont know what the Miracle at the Meadowlands is then you might have heard it and just not realize it but anytime says Miracle at anyplace that game was the first one with that title and Id say that you may have just subliminally put the two together. Shooo talk about lucky too Herm Edwards was at the right place at the right time.

BluefieldRocks, do you play football? j/w

I've watched the games many times and I don't think I'll watch it again. I wasn't even a member of the team, but it makes me sick to even see the events unfold like they did. Also BluefieldRocks, I wouldn't be so negative. Noone ever thought we'd turn our program around after the 4 losing seasons we had after our state champioship in 98, but we did and are now a top program in AA.

I'm not doubting your brother Aaron, but the LB from my team that you're talking about is Zac Cooper and he's a beast. He rushed for 150 yds on Bluefield and was a two time first team all state selection(capt. his senior year) and the 04 Huff Award winner. He was also rated #33 LB by rivals.com this past season. He was probably the best football player to come out of Weir High since Quincy Wilson.

[ QUOTE ]

I've watched the games many times and I don't think I'll watch it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, mail the copy to me b/c I'd love to have it for archives. Obviously I've not been privy to see every game in Bluefield football history, but for my money (and for many others) that game will go down as the greatest comeback in Beaver football history. It honestly has to go down as one of the all-time greatest comebacks in state history as well, and in some regard nationally. I still get chill bumps thinking back and my memories are still so vivid.

My other brother, Aaron is not a huge guy in regards to height. He is 5'11 and around 230 but he ended his career with I think 474 tackles and one day you will understand that All State selection stuff is more politics than anything. Aarons junior year he has 149 tackles 99 solo and was All State Honorable mention when the only player in the entire state of VA that had more tackles was Daryl Gresham who now plays for Florida. and aaron did that in 12 games. Aaron would have walked on anywhere but he didnt know how to go about it and its different if you have a walk on invite as they are looking for you and help you get on the team but he didnt get that from anyone but he isnt done he will be playing in the fall and im sure he will succeed at the NAIA level instantly and if Garon goes D1 then im sure Aaron will follow him as a walk on the following season.