Marcum's performance in Akron gets him no respect!

jmarcum

[ QUOTE ]

BluefieldRocks, do you play football? j/w

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, im more of a basketball player. I played on last years 9th grade team...

Hey rules, your gonna have to make me a copy of that game when he gives it to you...lol

I remember that game as if it were y/d...Everybody was gone in the student section. I would have been to if i hadnt been waiting for my ride to come...lol, but im glad i stayed. I hoped the fence when he missed the f/g and fell..then ran and started jumping up and celebrating with one of my friends thats on the football team..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought about something theres been 8 All State selections in my family and Garon may make it 9. Oh and like I said garon last season had 1454 and 23 tds. He had more yards on less carries than the Region 4 offensive player of the year and Garon was only All State Honorable mention and that player was 1st team all state. ALso the second team All State player was on from VA High and played on a 4-6 team and didnt have garons stats on im sure at least 50 more carries so thats why im stating how unfair All State selctions can be.

Hey is there any Bluefield players or parents or Weir Player or parents that ever played against or heard of a team called Crum High School back in the 70's? I am just curious my dad and uncle played for them and had 5 all state selections between them there. Now theres some footage I would love to see. SO if anyone has any info or there parents played against them let me know what they had to say about that team.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey is there any Bluefield players or parents or Weir Player or parents that ever played against or heard of a team called Crum High School back in the 70's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i may have herd of it, i know its in West Virginia..right? Wayne County i think?

Yeahp thats it. Ive been by it a million times as my grandparents lived there until last year. I was wondering though if anyone has any stories about them or played them. Maybe your parents or whatever played them but I just would love to hear about my dad and uncle playing there or see some pics or maybe footage. Just being nastalgic. So our family football history started at a single A team in the middle of nowhere in WV.

[ QUOTE ]

I remember that game as if it were y/d...Everybody was gone in the student section. I would have been to if i hadnt been waiting for my ride to come...lol, but im glad i stayed. I hoped the fence when he missed the f/g and fell..then ran and started jumping up and celebrating with one of my friends thats on the football team..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea it was down to me you and like 5 other people left in the student section lol

i agree that all-state selections are at times unfair. I think G. Marcums overwhelming success against the ky teams last year probably hurt him more than it helped him. People tend to think those teams are pushovers when you put up those kinds of stats and kill those teams and then face Richlands and get crushed.....I think he is a tremendous back but I know I didn't put as much value on his yards per carry average after seeing him against better competition.....but having said that i still say he should no doubt be 1st team all-state

I can without a doubt give you an example of the same thing and nobody ever brings up the competition and neither should we have to read about garon and the ky teams. Look at the crappy teams that Thomas and Julius Jones put up their record numbers against and not one person on this site ever says anything about it. Also against Richlands Garon had over 170 yards and you can take away his stats against Sheldon Clark because he only had 5 carries and like 30 yards. SO your saying he shouldnt be commended for 7 Va opponents and 2 KY opponents and both of which were playoff teams. Thats dumb and everyone knows it. If you dont like him or the fact that he is from Grundy then people should say that but nobody should knock a player for having good games against playoff opponents. Now if he put 100% of his numbers up on the same 0-10 sucky team because they played that horrible team all 10 games yeah, but thats not how it works so what he did was pretty good. And you saw his 40 times and stuff so he isnt some slouch.

Anybody that has ever played against him, from any state, knows what a great athlete he is. And the numbers he had could have been a easily improved but after putting up 200+ on Marion at the half, 200+ on Paintsville at the Half, and any other game he has ever had huge games at the half he never took one snap the entire second half. So he easily could have had a lot more yards and tds than he had and he could have even broke a record for most tds in a game on Paintsville, Marion, and many other opponents but he was on the sideline so other players could play.

But people easily can discredit him because they havent seen him in person but when you say a player isnt that good with a almost 10 ypc average no matter who it is against, is absolutely insane. Ask any coach in the SWD if they want a 10ypc back? I guarantee 100% will say absolutely.

[ QUOTE ]

i agree that all-state selections are at times unfair. I think G. Marcums overwhelming success against the ky teams last year probably hurt him more than it helped him. People tend to think those teams are pushovers when you put up those kinds of stats and kill those teams and then face Richlands and get crushed.....I think he is a tremendous back but I know I didn't put as much value on his yards per carry average after seeing him against better competition.....but having said that i still say he should no doubt be 1st team all-state

[/ QUOTE ]

He was more consistant than that...he didn't get all his yards against the KY teams...in fact as Jimmy said the first game against Sheldon Clark KY was the ONLY game he was held to under 100 last season. Everyone needs to get over the KY crap...and against Richlands he racked up a TD and 100+ yards...not many other backs got that against the Richlands D last year...so say what you want about the KY teams...they played 70% of the games against the same people everyone else did...and Ringstaff got to play against Lee High.

As jimmy said, most of the games he only played 2 quarters and still had to split time with AW Looney at that...you watch the film, look at the stats,then go see him play in person...he's legit...don't kid yourself and think otherwise. 1454 yards, 23 TD's, 150 carries...10 straight 100+ yard games...and thats not counting return yardage on punts and kicks...he would be over 2000 all purpose easy last year.

Ask the CC fans who watched him score 3 TD's in the 4th period as a 9th grader to win the game 21 -12...ask Graham about the Region IV championship in 02 where he had that 96 yard INT and ran right up Bradshaws backside on the way to the endzone...again as a 9th grader...he's been here for years...and now he's faster and stronger...get ready.

mad.gif

Bout time you got my back Lance lol. Ah lance has seen him play every game as I have and if he had the carries that the Jones boys did over at PV then we would be talking about Garons standing all time in VA High School history but he hasnt but what he has done is average over 6 ypc as a fresh, 8, as a sophomore, and right at 10 as a junior so he is consistent and reliable. Just a shame we will never know what he could have done with around 800-900 career carries. As it stands right now I believe he has had around 340-360 carries and with those he has gained around 3,300 yards and scored 43 tds. There are a few final stat sheets from grundy that left out a few return tds so he has around 40-46 tds.

Long way from records but like I said 900+ carries got most of the records. He only has around 1/3 of that many carries.

[ QUOTE ]

Bout time you got my back Lance lol. Ah lance has seen him play every game as I have and if he had the carries that the Jones boys did over at PV then we would be talking about Garons standing all time in VA High School history but he hasnt but what he has done is average over 6 ypc as a fresh, 8, as a sophomore, and right at 10 as a junior so he is consistent and reliable. Just a shame we will never know what he could have done with around 800-900 career carries. As it stands right now I believe he has had around 340-360 carries and with those he has gained around 3,300 yards and scored 43 tds. There are a few final stat sheets from grundy that left out a few return tds so he has around 40-46 tds.

Long way from records but like I said 900+ carries got most of the records. He only has around 1/3 of that many carries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I have got the answer!!!!!!!! Since you guys hate the Grundy coaches and Lances loves the Tazewell coaches.......why dont you bring Whats his name to Tazewell next season???????/

Dont say you cant because of cool.gif loyalty to the team or anything. They way you guys have talked crap about Grundys team for next year that one aint gonna float. SO come on.....how bout it. Put you money where your mouth is. LAnce says he lives in Tazeelll anyway....it would be a great fit.

lol...Garon doesn't like green Tiddy grin.gif

I actually mentioned that already because Tazewell will have a hell of a line and you know Coach Wyatt would feed him the ball...that was sort of thrown out as a joke should Grundy's Coaching situation become "unstable"...there were some rumors floating that Rowe might leave...I guess when you have been there forever like the Grundy's coaches have then you will get that sort of talk...I hear the same thing about Carlock every year to...lol. Anyway...hopefully everyone is staying where they are and Grundy will continue to be competetive...you are right though, I do like Tazewells coaches...I think you guys are on a good path as long as you let the guy do his job. He is an old Grundy boy though...lol. grin.gif Grundy is home and always will be, and 0-10 or 10-0 I'll still be at every game I can...hopefully Rowe and the rest will be to for a long time to come...I think that stability of having the same coaches together for so long is key.

and Jimmy...not that I don't have your back all of the time, I just don't agree with a lot of the things you say...lol...I was just trying to chime in because that KY crap...lol.

i think you misunderstood me or i did not write that very well. i think that my perception of him last year was based on not seeing him (other than against richlands) and what I thought (which was apparently wrong) occurred against what I thought was really weak competition. I am not saying that my perception was right. I just wonder if others discounted his stats somewhat because of not having accurate information or not seeing him play. By no means am i saying that he is not the best back to come through the area in years. i was just trying to describe what i had thought last year when i had looked at his stats. obviously ( the akron stats speak for themselves) i was wrong but i think others may have had the wrong opinions for the same reasons.

people like to say stuff like they do about the KY teams to discount what Grundy does...the game you saw against Richlands was probably the worst game in 3 years I have ever seen...even the Liberty Bedford beating wasn't that ugly. Garon also had two key fumbles in that game, just wasn't his - or Grundy's night...yet he still managed to get a TD and 100+ yards even on an off night.

Can't help that Grundy doesn't play the same schedule that Salem does and we don't live out by the beach and get all the press those guys get...he lives here and plays here and shouldn't be put down because of it...the SWD is a pretty tough place to play for a lot of reasons...good football though.

This is my opinion on this issue, take it how ever you want. There is no doubt that Garon is a great back with speed and quickness. He has played against some of the same caliber teams as Julius and Thomas Jones, however there is a difference. Julius and Thomas's brother was not on this message board criticizing the coaches and filling the message board with if's, and's, and butt's. Jimmy don't take this the wrong way but it's great you support your younger brothers, that's what you suppost to do, however just let the cards fall as they may. Don't try and force anything. You can e-mail, write, call whoever you want but if a D-1 coach is really interested in him, and Garon is productiive on the field next year and puts up some great numbers, then he will get an offer. It just seems like you are burning bridges that you really shouldn't be burning. It's not helping his situation at ALL when you criticize the coaches, especially the offensive ocordinator. If you have forgotten the offense coordinator is the guy responsible for giving Garon the ball. I think Garon would have been a lot better off if he had just gone to the camps, worked out like he has, and nothing was ever said about his numbers on this message board. He would have gotten more publicity in the long run if he had gone into next year's football season as a sleeper instead of someone that had better produce or will be the laughing stock of Grundy. I dont see that happening, but if for some odd reason it does, he will have that label solely because you have talked so much on this message board. Like I said earlier, it's not intended to piss anyone off, it's just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

2 KY opponents and both of which were playoff teams

[/ QUOTE ]

So were Hurley, Twin Valley, Twin Springs, and Rye Cove.

Also, if you're going to complain about the # of carries, then you can't go on about the average ypc. The reason the first is low is the same reason the second is high. Two other excellent backs - Looney and A Marcum. When the three came around the end, getting through them was just as tuff as getting a hold of G Marcum.

As an opponent, I hope you're right. I hope G Marcum does get all the carries for Grundy this year. It will be easier to stop than last year's 3-headed monster!

All That said, the 40 yard dash video is very impressive.

Thats right Lance, the SWD is known for football, and it's June 01, we are down to 2 monthes until 2-a-days. enjoy the summer boys, work hard and those great Friday Nights will be here soon!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Thats right Lance, the SWD is known for football, and it's June 01, we are down to 2 monthes until 2-a-days. enjoy the summer boys, work hard and those great Friday Nights will be here soon!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...can't wait...been a loooooooong offseason so far.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

[ QUOTE ]

Hey is there any Bluefield players or parents or Weir Player or parents that ever played against or heard of a team called Crum High School back in the 70's?

[/ QUOTE ]

If im correct ( correct me if im wrong) but Hurley beat Crum im the late 60's or early 70's something like 70-0 or 70-6 (or somthing like that) it held the state record for biggest margine of victory for many years back in the day. I think that was the game Greg Justus rushed for 8 TD's. It may be another West Virginia team. It was in one of the old year books, back when Hurley's colors was black and gold. Ill try to find the yearbook somewhere to make sure it was them. If anyone can find the score against them and Hurley or ever who it was against I would like to know for sure what the score was. I cant find it on the net, I guess ill have to find one of the year books.

To be honest, I hope Marcum comes out and just tears up so he can throw it back in the faces of all the people on here that doubted him. I am impartial to this subject, b/c like I said, I didn't know Grundy existed unti this year. I just see a bunch of people trashing him saying he didn't play against good competition, only had a high YPC avg. b/c he didn't have a lot of carries, ect. Look, the kid is a player and he went to this combine and did his thing against some of the top prep athletes in the country. I think the kid deserves a little bit more respect than he gets on here. So what if jmarcum comes on here and likes to talk his little brother up. It's his family. If I had a little brother that was a star like that, I'd brag to everyone as well. Good luck to Garon and I hope he has a great senior season!!!