Weir looking very impressive...

WeirFootball

Don't care to argue a side in depth, but in my opinion the eastern va. tidewater teams are on a different level because of sheer speed.

I honestly doubt they have even close to the amount of overall speed in either pa. or oh as some of these eastern teams. I know these states have some athletes and some speed, but it's different styles.

Hampton had # 1 rankings nationally a few seasons ago more than 1 year, when they had an exceptional qb. curry, maybe?

And of course you have other top national teams such as independence charlotte, which I consider southern of course. The southern states are speed states.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampton's QB was Ronald Curry who went on to play basketball and football at UNC. I think he's in the NFL now, but not sure which team he's on. Charlotte Independence is a great team. They've won several state championships in NC recently. Florida's QB, Chris Leak, played for Independence. My uncle lives right outside of Charlotte so I hear all about how good Independence is.

Curry is playing for the Oakland Raiders and had a breakout season last year. He had a number of games with over 100-yards receiving and a number of multiple touchdown games. He worked himself into prime position to fight for a starting job this season.

Chris Leak has an older brother, CJ, that also played at Independence. People will tell you that CJ was the better QB of the two, but he was dealt a tough hand. He committed to Wake Forest out of high school, but as the full-time starter as a sophomore during the 2000 season Leak blew-out this knee. CJ decided to transfer to UT and sat out his require one-year rehabbing his knee. Unfortunately for CJ, the knee injury robbed him of what made him so special; his ability to scramble and be a play-maker. He did manage to win the starting job in the Spring of 2004. However, he lost that same starting job to the two freshmen QB that came into UT last August.

Ronald Curry was the best athlete to come out of Virginia. In fact, the reason he is a Raider right now is because Al Davis loved what he did in high school. Read that on nfl.com long time ago.

Virginia Tech fans should love Ronald Curry. Cause if Ronald Curry didnt decide to go to NC then a quarterback by the name of Michael Vick may have not ended up a Hokie. Could have all ended up different if Curry didnt go to NC. We will never know. But Vick wasnt on anybodys radar in high school. In fact his senior stats were simply mediocre but Tech saw his atheltic ability and gave him his shot. Now he is a superstar.

Yeah but they wanted Curry. Everyone did. I dont know if rivals.com was around at the time but if they were im sure he was the number 1 player in the country, easily.

I saw a story on Ronald Curry before one of the Raiders games last year and they told about AL Davis taking a chance on him because of his high school career and they showed some of his high school footage at Hampton and it was incredible.

For the record, I think Curry will still be a star in the NFL. He was by far the best receiver for the raiders last year. He has all the talent and im sure with Moss there he will get his share or chances to catch a lot of passes. WVU boy disappointed me last year. frown.gif

P.S. I dont like the Raiders! lol. Patriots fan since 93 and always will be.

No doubt they wanted Curry. They signed three QB's that year, Vick, Grant Noel, and Travis Turner, so the position was a need, but listening to the coaches talk about his recruitment, I think Vick was their #1 target all along.

Yeah but was that "after" he started to be a phenom? Lol. Im sure they would say that after he made them look like geniuses for signing him. lol

I saw his senior stats and i was in shock. Maybe he was injured. Whats the deal with that? I think it was like 1100 yards passing and 400 rushing or something. See if you can find them. I had them at one time. But whatever they were they were not what I expected. I was expecting "Curresque" type stats

I like De La Salle(CA) and Jenks(Ok) High School Football Programs. I will put those two up against your VA Programs.

And also Colerain High School's team from this year. Their coach is great and I like his style.

I don't think I ever saw his high school stats, but the VT coaches started raving about him the day he signed. Frank Beamer has never been one to put much stock in recruiting rankings. He goes after the guys he wants no matter if anyone else wants them or not. You're right about Vick being overlooked by most of the country though. His final three was VT, Cuse, and ECU.

Yeah, poor UVA. They lost out on the 2nd most overrated UNC point guard in the in 90's and average at best on the college level QB. Poor hoos.

Also, whatever happened to Travis Turner. He was QB at Appalachia as a freshman when Narrows lost to them in the state semi's. I know he transferred to Clinch Valley but what happened from there?

And another thing, from what I remember Vick's number 1 for a long time was Syracuse. The only thing that kept him from going there was the turf of the Carrier Dome.

I guess he just wanted a chance to play QB. Tech moved him to LB pretty early on, and I remember Beamer saying on the Hokie Hotline that he looked impressive there, but the next I heard of him was at Wise.

Sorry, I missread your question. I don't know where Turner ended up.

I hadn't heard the turf story. I have heard Vick himself say he chose VT over SU because he didn't want people to call him "The next Donovan McNabb." He said he wanted to be "The first Michael Vick."

[ QUOTE ]

Ed Cota

[/ QUOTE ]

That's laughable, very laughable. Cota is one of only three PG in NCAA history with to score 1,200 points and have 1,000 assists in a career. He's third all-time in NCAA history in assist. He's Carolina's all-time assist leader and played on three Final Four teams.

You must not follow college hoops too much if you think Ed Cota was overrated. He was a floor general that could handle the rock as well as anyone. He saw things before they happened. I remember a few oops hew threw to Vince Carter that were amazing. As for Ronald Curry, you really can't say he's overrated b/c he never really got a chance to shine. He, along w/ Julius Peppers, decided to only concentrate on football. They both contributed when they got playing time, but I think both of their decisions turned out to be very smart ones. They are both doing very well in the NFL.