Top 10 Area Teams

biggamesjames

The Bristol Herald always ranks the top 10 football teams in their coverage area. Who are your top 10 for SWVA? Here is mine:

10. Carrol County - SWD will be tough this year.

9. Virginia High - Favorite in a weak AA district.

8. Lebanon - Coming off a pretty good year in 04.

7. Powell Valley - No Mckinney, no Robbins, no problem?

6. Haysi - Lost Colley and Sperow but not much else.

5. George Wythe - Another 9-1 team who missed post season.

4. Honaker - Lost Patrick but have alot returning.

3. Grundy - 4.4 40 Marcum will get alot of carries.

2. Gate City - Lost a few stars but look to be strong.

1. Richlands - Favorite in VERY tough SWD.

The next best 5:

11. Clintwood

12. Tazewell

13. Appalachia

14. Graham

15. JI Burton

Wellll.... id say Pocahontas would be number 1.. lol but really i think if your going to have something like that you need to have bluefield.. the powerhouse over the last 3 years. i dont know about the other districs except the swd but heres mine

1: Bluefield

2: Richlands

3: Lebanon

4: Grundy

5: George Wythe

6: Honaker

7: Tazewell

8: Haysi

9: Carrol County (because of lance ayers lol)

10: Graham

I didn't include Powell Valley, Gate City, JI Burton, ect... because i don't feel they are close enough to this area to be included ..just my opinion

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how can bluefield not be on your list. Fresh off of a state championship win. They look like a team to be delt with...

[ QUOTE ]

Who are your top 10 for SWVA?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

lol but really i think if your going to have something like that you need to have bluefield

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, how can bluefield not be on your list

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif

10.Graham - Could be alot better than this.

9. Carroll County - Always throws athletes at ppl.

8. Virginia High - Favorite in a weak AA district.

7. Grundy - Lost some great players. Questionable Line.

6. Tazewell - SWD suprise team last yr. will cont to improve

5. Powell Valley - No Mckinney, no Robbins, no problem?

4. George Wythe - Another 9-1 team who missed post season.

3. Honaker - Up graded schedule, are they this good????.

2. Gate City - Lost a few stars but look to be strong. What Tennessee players will they get?

1. Richlands - Favorite in VERY tough SWD. To many weapons

1. Bluefield - Speed, speed and more speed.. Playing Graham and Grundy will tell how they fit with the SWD. Yeah, i got 2 #1's..

The next best picks

11. Haysi

12. Appalachia

13. Clintwood.

14. J.I. Burton

[ QUOTE ]

The Bristol Herald always ranks the top 10 football teams in their coverage area. Who are your top 10 for SWVA? Here is mine:

The next best 5:

11. Clintwood

12. Tazewell

13. Appalachia

14. Graham

15. JI Burton

[/ QUOTE ]

I see them putting CC in front of Tazwell, I don't think alot of people will like that. Heck, Abingdon isn't even mentioned, which we shouldn't lol. I also think GW should be in front of Honaker

-THE VIEWS STATED IN THIS POST MAY NOT BE VIEWED EQUALY THROUGH OUT THIS MESSAGE BOARD, PARENTAL ADVISORY IS ADVISED-

1. Richlands: Maybe dunno, but there can always be surprises.

2. Honaker: Blah dunno much but I go along with people on this one.

3. Grundy: This better not be hype about Marcum or I will regret putting this.

4. Gate City: If they didn't lose much from last year good team good team...

5. POCAHONTAS! : Just wanted a bit of humor.

6. G.W.: What can I say... Go get'm.

7. Tazewell: Someone shoot me for this one. But I am gradually getting to a point.

8. Carroll County: Going through the SWD. This is coming a pattern.

9.Haysi: Hell what do I know about them?

10. Appalachia: Yet again, I know more about Haysi then this team.

11. Graham: Just do to the fact that they are having so many problems right now, they had better hope for some great news in the coming weeks.

12. Bluefield: True not in the Southwestern Virginia... But since other people were commenting. Who does Blue have this year... They lost pretty much ... EVERYONE! I have even heard people from Bluefield saying this team, this year is going to suck. ANd I do agree in a neutral point of view. They basically lost their whole starting team from last year.

Bluefield is the only school who can lose basically lose every starter and still be better than the year before. Come on guys, this is a rebuilding year at Beaver no doubt about it. I can see Graham beating them, as well as Princeton,Grundy,maybe even James Monroe. You had a great team last year, no doubt, but that was last year. Things change, and you guys lost a lot. Maybe I am wrong here, but I don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]

I have even heard people from Bluefield saying this team, this year is going to suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you obviously aren't talking to the people that you should be. Those leading the program are very confident about the season and are ready to surprise some people this fall...

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield is the only school who can lose basically lose every starter and still be better than the year before. Come on guys, this is a rebuilding year at Beaver no doubt about it. I can see Graham beating them, as well as Princeton,Grundy,maybe even James Monroe. You had a great team last year, no doubt, but that was last year. Things change, and you guys lost a lot. Maybe I am wrong here, but I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like Graham fans saying Graham would be better last year without Ahmad Bradshaw? grin.gif

Well thats what its all about is having different opinions about different teams...

Ofcourse Bluefield would have made my top 10 had I been including West Virginia but there are probably alot of other good teams in West Virginia that would have warranted consideration too so I just kept it to Virginia only.

I'm a little surprised with all the confidence in Graham, but I'm just basing that on last year... and maybe Tazewell is a little better than I thought...oh well its all in fun.

bluefield was at the championship game 3 years in a row. Winning it once. If thta dont count as being a top team in wv, then i dont know what does. I do think we'll beat graham this year. Im very confident. But grundy and marcums speed is another story... Graham just doesnt have that big play maker..

How can you leave out Rural Retreat? With only 4 starters gone off the Region C Division 1 champions, we should be challenging George Wythe and Lebanon for a district title and possibly another Region title. We have the potential to possibly go farther this year than we did last year.

I feel Rural Retreat will finish 3rd in the Hogoheegee and would probably beat several teams on my list...the reason I didn't put them on the list was strictly on accident(brain fart)...I figure they would probably fit in somewhere just outside the top 10.

[ QUOTE ]

But grundy and marcums speed is another story...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be 100% honest, Marcum's speed doesn't concern when it comes to Bluefield. Bluefield has a number of kids as fast, and a couple faster. What does concern me regarding Marcum is his toughness and will when running the football. You must tackle the kid, not just hit him and hope he falls over. Marcum is one player though and will need help if Grundy hopes to defeat Bluefield.

Yes, kind of....Graham did have a lot more coming back last year than Bluefield does this year. And yes I thought we would still be good last year,but not as good as the year before. After watching the first game last year I knew it would be a long season. Graham will suprise many this year because everyone thinks that we aren't going to do crap because of last year. Do you realize that at one point or another last year we started 14 freshman or sophomores. That hasn't happened in 15 or so years. And it ended in a 25-2 record over two years with a state title. Graham will be back strong this year, count on it.

In my opinion graham will likely be a harder game than grundy.

While bluefield is considerd rebuilding, I don't consider it as '01, or a season where they lack talent or speed. Considering that I certainly know they won't be close to being as strong as '03 or '04, that still doesn't neccessarily translate to a down season or a lot of defeats. The margin of victory in recent seasons over most teams was considerable, and was enough that a lesser bluefield team could still potentially compete with most teams on their schedule, if not all.

But it's way to early to know.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I couldnt resist haha.

10. Richlands- To much hype lol j/k

9. Grundy - Marcum's 50 carries a game.

8. pochahantas - Go Indians haha

7. Ervinton - Slow, Fat, so they should be here! lol

6. Council - i belive if they had a team they could have an impresive 0-10 season haha

5. Lee- ahh why not lol

4. Saint Paul- They was impresive a few years ago

3. Ft. Chishwell- No one ever talks about them so here they are.

2. Twin Valley- Whats better than a purple panther!

1. 1982 Hurley Rebels- 10-0 season then so im sure the old timmers can still make the playoff's.

hahaha j/k tongue.gif

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Im from Hurley and I dont see us playing for the title lol, but it would be to see a underdog make it.