Top 5 RBs in SWD

smitty37

1. Brannon Breeding - he could be a speedster on the corners or pound it inside like a 250lb fullback. Very seldom brought down by one player.

2. Ahmad Bradshaw - Speed, quickness and elusiveness was awesome. Could make players miss like no other.

3. Sandy Rogers - Very Quick like Breeding but wasn't quite as tough inside (may of graduated in 84 but belonged on list)

4. Brent Surface - Unbelievable speed, Could cut back against the grain with ease, tough to bring down

5. Jeremy Mccommons - Strongest runner, was a beast to tackle

[ QUOTE ]

1. Brannon Breeding - he could be a speedster on the corners or pound it inside like a 250lb fullback. Very seldom brought down by one player.

2. Ahmad Bradshaw - Speed, quickness and elusiveness was awesome. Could make players miss like no other.

3. Sandy Rogers - Very Quick like Breeding but wasn't quite as tough inside (may of graduated in 84 but belonged on list)

4. Brent Surface - Unbelievable speed, Could cut back against the grain with ease, tough to bring down

5. Jeremy Mccommons - Strongest runner, was a beast to tackle

[/ QUOTE ]

Brent Surface! Are you eating paint chips or something?

1.) Quinton Reed (Tazewell) People have forgotten how good that team really was! (1986)

2.) Ahmad Bradswaw (Graham)

3.) Brandon Breeding (Richlands)

4.) Leonard Graves (Graham)

Those four young men are the only real tailbacks in the district in that time period. Everyone else was a fullback playing out of position.

you must be eating paint chips.......at one time sandy rogers held college footballs career rushing record.....and that was for ALL levels of college football...and i believe he also tried out for the denver broncos......ahmad bradshaw is a division 1 back and a good one at that......brannon breeding was a great back......but he was not really in the same class as those 2.....and i'm sure others will be mentioned....like the rogers of gate city....

Reed was good...not better than AB though I don't think...saw AB do some crazy stuff his last two years I don't think Reed could have done...again two different styles...Reed was a pure horse who would run over you...AB had that and the ability to cut on a dime at full speed...I think AB has the edge myself.

Reed also had the benefit of playing behind a college level line though in the big green machine of 86...lol.

Don't forget about Jr Coleman either...Lebanon had a kid back in the old SWD days that was good to...can't remember his name...sure someone else will know it.

#1 AHMAD BRADSHAW

#2 BRANDON BREEDING

#3 MARCUS LATIMER (CHOO CHOO)

#4 BRENT SURFACE

#5 EDDIE HALL

OTHERS THAT SHOULD BE MENTIONED ADAM DAVIS,MILTON BIARD,LEANORD GRAVES,PACO JONES REED OAKES,CAIN RINGSTAFF,GARON MARCUM THIS LIST COULD GO ON FOREVER BUT MY POINT IS THE SWD HAS PRODUCED SOME GREAT RUNNERS TOO MANY TO LIST!!

I never got to see Breeding play but I'd have to put Rogers at the top of the list. I wasn't aware he ever held a career rushing record but I do remember he broke the D-3 single season record at E&H. He led the nation in rushing that year at all levels. If I went with the 20 year cut-off I'd have to say Bradshaw, but I wasn't in the area for most of that time and didn't see a lot of the guys mentioned in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

#1 AHMAD BRADSHAW

#2 BRANDON BREEDING

#3 MARCUS LATIMER (CHOO CHOO)

#4 BRENT SURFACE

#5 EDDIE HALL

OTHERS THAT SHOULD BE MENTIONED ADAM DAVIS,MILTON BIARD,LEANORD GRAVES,PACO JONES REED OAKES,CAIN RINGSTAFF,GARON MARCUM THIS LIST COULD GO ON FOREVER BUT MY POINT IS THE SWD HAS PRODUCED SOME GREAT RUNNERS TOO MANY TO LIST!!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're gonna put kids like that on there...how can you not put David Scammell in there...he was better than Ringstaff, Oakes, Jones, and Adam Davis...

Just out of curiosity, how many of these players named received scholarships to D1 schools? One of the players mentioned was Eddie Hall, who graduated from Graham in 1982. He got a full ride to Virginia Tech. We all know where Bradshaw is, but which of the others were actually offered a D1 scholarship and then played under it?

carroll had sam beasly whos at tech now and hes th BEST SO FAR to come out of carroll!!! and another thing is that i think every one is just puting AB as # 1 b/c hes fresh on our minds.

[ QUOTE ]

if you're gonna put kids like that on there...how can you not put David Scammell in there...he was better than Ringstaff, Oakes, Jones, and Adam Davis...

[/ QUOTE ]

Garon Marcum *should* shatter Grundy's all time rushing record this year by about the 3rd game or so if he stays healthy...I think he needs about 340 yards to break it...need to get with Lloyd to verify the stats...he knows all the numbers pretty well.

I understand that it is just an opinion and I am not knocking anyones choices. I have heard of every player named but have not been able to follow their success after high school. I was just trying to catch up on what these players did after high school, out of interest. Either me or my little brother played with or against several of the players named. I played against Sandy Rogers and with Eddie Hall.

Garon is a good running back dont get me wrong but he is not up there with Scammell. I dont know what kind of record he is close too but he will have to get over 2000 to break the single season rushing record and i dont think he has the line for them type of numbers.

[ QUOTE ]

Garon is a good running back dont get me wrong but he is not up there with Scammell. I dont know what kind of record he is close too but he will have to get over 2000 to break the single season rushing record and i dont think he has the line for them type of numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

we shall see...

He is within about 400 of the all time rushing yards from scrimmage record, had 1500 yards last year and should have a better line to run behind this year...and will get most of the carries, last year he split with AW Looney who also had a 1000 yard year...and he's stronger and faster this year...if he stays healthy the best is yet to come. Aug 26th will be the first day of judgement...22 days.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Garon Marcum *should* shatter Grundy's all time rushing record this year by about the 3rd game or so if he stays healthy...I think he needs about 340 yards to break it...need to get with Lloyd to verify the stats...he knows all the numbers pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is definitely good stuff....Scammell definitely had a better line to run behind, as well.....but he was still as tough as they come...

I'm anxious to see what Garon does this year...