who are state title contenders in division 3?

liberty minuteman extremely big and strong with fast runningbacks have 6'3" 300 lb va. tech signee on defense! mainly a running team but will pass on occasion-last year lost in division 4 semifinal to salem 22-14 in bedford! zack webb had a big first game for them against northside with 176 yards!

richlands and graham will be the chief rivals with richlands looking very good early losing to salem in div. 4 state semi last year at richlands 42-28! i believe that the one big area where richlands will have an advantage will be their passing attack and their versatility on offense but can they stop liberty?

Richlands is definitely a contender. I have seen both games and they are very solid, especially their defense. I also agree that Graham will be very tough. It should be a great game between Richlands and Graham.

Winner of the state semifinal between Region III and Region IV takes the Division 3 title this year.

I stand by my prediction that the match-up will be Liberty vs. Richlands. But I'm less certain about Liberty. The Minutemen will have to stay healthy to get there.

[ QUOTE ]

Im not trying to sound disrespectful or anything but if graham is a contender for state then the competition in Virginia must have went down a WHOLE lot...Cuz in the beaver/graham game neither teams looked impressive to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Graham is better than last year, but they're not a state title contender. A team like Liberty-Bedford would chew them up and spit them out. Heck, Liberty would probably put a "hurtin'" on Richlands.

Bedford sure "chewed" us up and spit us out last time we played didn't they? Who knows what will happen, we are two games into this season. Even having this discussion at this point is absurd. I remember a Bluefield team in 02 that was not very impressive that made it to a state final. Teams do improve as the season goes on.

i believe graham is r'lands competition in the swd......still not sure what they have though....not sure m'ville is a good indicator......while m'ville did return 14 offensive and defensive players you still have to bear in mind they were only 5 and 5 last year.

Liberty will be lucky to get by Christiansbug and Hidden Valley. 2 VERY good D3 teams who I have already seen play. Both have many weapons and big time defenses. I'm picking HV as the dark horse. They returned 7 on both sides of the ball. They lost to C-burg in ot last year in the 1st round of the playoffs!! Richlands will represent the extreme SWVA.

Aren't we all getting a little ahead of ourselves? This post seems about five weeks too early. This is only week two; all the teams need a few more games under their belts before anybody can predict a legit state title contender.

I think the only thing they should be thinking about is winning their next game. Focusing on the task at hand and winning will not hurt your chances down the road. Losing because you were looking past someone will.

[ QUOTE ]

Bedford sure "chewed" us up and spit us out last time we played didn't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but unless you plan on bringing Bradshaw, Matthews, Oakes, Jones, and company back that doesn't mean a thing in 2005. I knew my comments would stir things up, especially with the Graham crowd... grin.gif

duh....this is message board.....wouldn't be any fun if we didn't get ahead of ourselves....about week 10 its fun to look back and see some of the ridiculous early posts...please let me have fun.......please

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bedford sure "chewed" us up and spit us out last time we played didn't they?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but unless you plan on bringing Bradshaw, Matthews, Oakes, Jones, and company back that doesn't mean a thing in 2005. I knew my comments would stir things up, especially with the Graham crowd...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i mean come on man.. your from bluefield, AND we beat you this year; dissing us, as usual, will stir up some people. Just cause you're from blufield, doesnt mean you have to cheer against graham-as odd as that sounds, you could just cheer for bluefield...and if the WV system is the same as ours, we help you guys out every time we win a game.

But if Richlands takes a big win over Grundy, that could say a lot about the chances of whoever plays Grundy in the playoffs, and could say a lot about how well Richlands has the potential to do in the playoffs.