Graham vs. George Wythe

FootballFan

I am not sure since I havent seen Graham. I will say that GW's defense is pretty good, but the offense sputters at times. I think one of the biggest problems is the no huddle offense which sucks. I wouldnt mind seein them play each other.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.vhsl.org/4classesmodel2.doc

If the new vhsl model is accepted you will get your wish and the two teams can play every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey old school,

You are obviously talking about Graham being placed in the Class A district in that model. But note that Graham is also in the Class AA district with all the SWD schools as well. Looks like the folks at the VHSL know where Graham will "really" be playing.

How would having 3 regions work in sports other than football? Instead of having the regional champs host the state quarter final rounds would there just be a tournament with 6 teams at one location? That makes the most sense but with the VHSL involved I can just envision something horribly complicated! smirk.gif

A little note to all who shall read this. now pay attention storm watchers. If the dust devils were to play the indians the only thing it would be blown away is the richlands team and fans. there is note a team in southwest va that can stop there passing game, or probably there runnning game as well, especially if you only beat the falcons by 33.

Come back to the real world Marrun1, Graham would beat George Wythe like a borrowed mule, I've seen both play and Richlands would destroy Rual Retreat. Better stick with worrying about the Hogo, it's not going to be a cakewalk and whoever does win it will have to deal with Giles eventually. Beating Tazewell, Radford and Grayson County is not the same as beating Bluefield, Martinsville and Blacksburg, just be glad you don't have to play Graham or Richlands. Lebanon has to play Richlands but I wished they did'nt, it will be a slaughter as it would be if George Wythe or Rual Retreat had to play'em. You have a fair team for the Hogo which is really weak this year, you beat a weak SWD team 10-0, better leave well enough alone.

What is your base for comparison Clodhopper? Graham is 4-0 beating Bluefield, who is 1-2 with the only win coming from 1-3 Grundy; Martinsville, who is 1-1 with the only win coming from 0-3 Rustberg; Blacksburg, who is 0-3 and Marion who is 1-3 with the only win coming from 1-3 Patrick Henry. I know that GWs opponents are a combined 2-9, but beat them like a mule? Come on! If GW is so bad then why did Bluefield contact Dereck Davis over the summer trying to recruit him to play for them? GW is only playing as good as they have to right now and it could come back to haunt them, but you still have to have respect for the programs history. This is difficult for me to say because I played for Coach Carlock at Graham, but blanket comments get a little tired.

The truth hurts. GW nor RR could play with Graham nor Richlands, plain and simple. I know you folks like to think you're always at the top of the heap but the truth is that you play a weak schedule. Graham has single A enrollment, play nothing but AA schools and win, Richlands plays good single A teams and beat their eyeballs out with the exception of Gate City which has won two AA titles and Richlands still beat their eyeballs out this year, GW historically plays weak single A schools and are not tested til they play Radford and Lebanon, GW has caught Radford and Lebanon in a down year but both have winning records against George Wythe. Schedule Graham and Richlands year in and year out, beat'em and then you'll make a believer out of me. I've seen Graham, Richlands and George Wythe all play this year either regular season or benefit games, GW has 2 threats at most, Graham and Richlands can beat you a number of ways. You have a good single A program but Graham and Richlands have really good double A programs, you'll have to play quality schedules and win for a few years before you EARN yourself as much respect as you GIVE yourself.

I am not disrespecting Graham or Richlands. They both have great programs. I didn't even say that GW would beat either team. You are right about weak non district teams on the schedule, but GW has to play the teams in their district. Of course it makes the playoff scene a little different when GW goes 9-1 (in 2004), losing one district game, and misses the playoffs and Graham loses to every team in their district (in 2004) and makes the playoffs. This isn't about bashing other teams, it is about showing class for these kids who work their butts off to build a program no matter where they are or how many kids they have. I am sure that Tazewell, who beat Graham twice last year, would tell you that GW deserves a little more respect than the old "mule" analogy, even if they are in your words "a weak swd team".

You are right. GW did have a time with Grayson last night. With three TDs lost and 17 penalties called against them, they just weren't playing well enough to blow them out. I admit that GW is playing just good enough to win and if that doesn't change, it will bite them later. My point is that just because when I saw the post about Rural Retreat playing Richlands I immediately grinned, I still didn't come on this board and disrespect what Rural Retreat has accomplished. RR needs to take one game at a time, prepare for Northwood and if you make it to the playoffs, I will have enough class to show support for your efforts. People can have intelligent posts on this board without disrespecting other teams with tired cliches.

i may be wrong but i do think that graham can and will make richlands work for every yard that they get and every point they get. richlands will not roll over graham like they have others this year. grahams defense is better than any that richlands has faced to this point in the season.

i am not saying that graham will win nor am i saying richlands will because i honestly do not know. all i know is what kind of team graham has. and they dont quit. they continue to give it their all. they played their second and third teams the 4th quarter against marion friday night on offense and defense. but i hope that everyone continues to underestimate graham and over estimate richlands. all i will say

if richlands wins this game i will congratulate richlands and if graham wins will not get on here and brag either. but would expect richlands to come here and congratulate graham and not make excuses if they do lose.