Abingdon at Richlands

JimmyK

That's what Mayor is saying. Richlands can't petition to stay in D4. The region is split right down the middle, half of the schools are D3 and the others are D4. The division you play in isn't optional.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what it sounds like is the one guy thinks that richlands asked to go to div 3 and that instead of complaing they should have petitioned to stay and that mayor is saying that no one petitioned to drop which i dont know if you can petition to drop division or move up in division. but i know that graham has to petition to stay 2 a div 3 because their enrollment is actually 1 a size.

[ QUOTE ]

Like bluekick said, the division is split down the middle. Richlands and Martinsville had no choice in the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Richlands and Lee... this website has Lee as the team with the lowest D4 enrollment.

that is true and if you look at enrollment a few of the 1 a schools are bigger than graham and graham petitions to play up they would not if at all possible play down. that is one reason graham plays beaver 2 times this year. they probably could have found a 1 a school to play but for the most part they have not played a 1 a school

when a school drops to 1 a graham drops them from their schedule. look at teams like giles narrows gatecity lebanon all went to 1 a and graham does not play them anymore.

that is what i am saying about the difference in play from 1 a and 2 a some 1 a schools are good. but for the most part does nothing to help your team to get ready for the district and playoffs. and points make the difference and the level of play does also. a few years ago graham played gw danville a 3 a school in va granted that year not a real good 3 a school but good enough to beat most 2 a and 1 a schools because of shear numbers. but that year graham was better but because of the level of competition. now that being said i am not saying anything about the level of competiton of richlands they are a good team. but graham is a different team than they have played so far this year

Playing a good single A school does help on the way to the playoffs. That's why Richlands dropped D4 Lee and picked up Honaker. They get less points for the win but it helps in the long run. Same with Gate City. There aren't any more quality teams near Richlands to play so we also play GC, which is a much better than many of the local AA teams. It's harder for Richlands to find other AA teams to play. Travel is easier for Graham since they have I-77. Playing Region 3 teams is not a problem for Graham.

richlands has a four lane to drive to get to interstate 77 just a little further. graham drove several years ago to greenville tenn to play games and played several tenn teams. so they drove past richlands to get there. they drove down rt 52 one of the worst roads around to play mt view high school several years ago. so travel on good roads should not be a issue to richlands. not to hard to get to 460 for them. then a 4 lane in either direction for them. i would much rather drive 460 to blacksburg or roanoke than the road to gatecity or honaker any day. but again that is the coaches choice as to who they play.

but please dont use the good road excuse for a reason why they go to gc or others in that area. because you have access to 460 to go anydirection you want. just like graham does.drive down here and play beaver or princeton not a lot further than graham. they are all good teams and beaver needed a couple of games this year and still only have 9 games on their schedule. i am sure that the beavers would love to play richlands next year or so. ask and see.

it would be closer for graham to play teams in your area instead of going to tenn or danville or mt view (which is closer but road much worse) but they find tough teams to play. which helps in playoffs.