Official Bluefield/Graham 2

beaverbaseball

My prediction is this game will be much like the first one..Except I think both teams have grown and have gained more experince on the field since week 1. With Jt Powell back for bluefield It is going to be a big plus. If Payne plays like he has all season then he will put up some big numbers agaist grahams defense..With Workman out and some players not 100% I think it will hurt graham offensively and defensively..And with that said I think Bluefield will win this won 35-21

Will this game bring the same number of fans to Mitchell as the first game did??? I doubt it but I say there will still be a good 8 or 9,000 to show up this friday night for the Battle of the Bluefields 2nd showdown of the season! We will be tailgating before the game so come on out and enjoy the game everyone..

What are your thoughts on the upcoming game??

Just as I told the Richlands/Tazewell folks yesterday, we don't need two dozen Beaver/Graham threads this week. We now have two, which is plenty to discuss this week's game. So no more new threads on this game, keep the discussion on the game in this thread or the other one that was started this morning.

[ QUOTE ]

Both teams will be fighting for this one but bluefield is hot with 2 wins in a row

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my point...they will come in cocky....Graham will take advantage...

The 1st game is what it was.

Bluefield is at least having more success tackling than they were against graham the 1st game, as mentioned they were in position to tackle quickly most of the game, most of graham's yardage seemed to be from yardsaftercontact.

Bluefield's qb is starting on o and d and they have steptoe who was ineliegeble the 1st game.

Graham had a lot of emotion fresh from coach carlock's passing that game.

This is a must for bluefield playoff wise in my opinion, graham defeated bluefield, it's hard to defeat a team 2 times in 1 season and bluefield should be inspired because of those reasons..

Graham's qb is out, not certain if they have other injuries still, but overall, not 100% it seems.

Bluefield has fumbled a lot in the 2 most recent games. Graham funbled a lot in the 1st.

Draw conclusions for yourself..

In HS Football one cannot underestimate the importance of solid coaching. I know that both Graham and Bluefield are very well coached teams, and I have no doubt that both squads will be ready to strap it up and go all out on Friday night. Preparation is the key for both coaching staffs this week. Let's look at Coach Simon and his staff's record as it relates to preparing a team for a rematch during the same season. Sometimes the past can be a very reliable predictor of the future.

In 2002 James Monroe beat Bluefield 30-7 in the regular season, they faced them again in the playoffs and beat them 3-0. In 2003 Oak Hill beat Bluefield 21-20 in the regular season, and they beat them 61-6 in the playoffs later that same year. Last year Bluefield only beat Mount View 17-14 having to come from behind 14-0 in the fourth quarter to win a very hard fought game down in Welch, and when they faced them again in the playoffs they beat them 58-0 in a game that was not close at all.

Wonder what will happen in 2005 with a rematch?? My money is on the Beavers.

Also it should be noted that defensively Bluefield is nearly a different team. There have been a number of position switches among players with some younger kids now starting that didn't in the first couple of games.

Just as I said before the season started, with so many kids graduating it would take the coaching staff some time to find out what players fit best where. They've been moving people around doing that, and while the team is playing better defensively I'm sure the coaches aren't happy and will continue to experiment with player movement. It happened a lot during the early part of the 2002 season as well and after starting 1-3 Beaver ended up playing for the state championship in December.

Bluefield seems to be improving every week, while Graham is going downhill (due to injuries). Graham is still a very talented team, however I would give the Beavers a slight edge this go around. It's hard to beat a team twice in the same season.

whats with Beano and his predictions of "cocky" teams getting beat......lol.....how can bluefield be cocky after already losing to graham once.....i would think bluefield is more excited about playing this one than the g-men are........

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/09/29/sports/03thurspowell.txt

Injury doesn't keep Powell from shot at G-Men

Posted: Wednesday, Sep 28, 2005 - 11:16:42 pm EDT

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD-If there's anyone happy that Bluefield and Graham are playing twice in 2005, it's J.T. Powell.

After being relegated to special teams during the Beavers' 14-0 Class AA state championship run last season, Powell had done the needed work to win the job as Rusty Coburn's replacement at quarterback.

"I was completing with Eric McClanahan for the spot," Powell said. "I was a running back, but I told the coach I wanted to try quarterback and they gave me a shot at it and I ended up getting the job."

He had proven his worth through the first quarter and most of the second in the season-opener against Graham. He ran for a touchdown, threw for another and was all over the field from his position in the secondary. Bluefield led 14-0 when Powell went down with a knee injury, and had to be carted to the hospital. The G-Men rallied for the 21-14 win.

"It made feel real bad, I can't even explain how bad it felt after that," Powell said. "I'm just glad I've got another chance, that has helped knowing I have another chance."

That usually doesn't in this intra-city rivalry. Graham won the first game, and normally they would have bragging rights for another season. Instead, five weeks later, the teams meet again.

"It means a whole lot to be able to play in this game," Powell said. "We get a chance to get even and even up the score."

Bluefield would also lose to Princeton, dropping to 0-2. Powell could just watch, but the injury wasn't as bad as first thought. He returned following an ensuing bye week, and has helped the Beavers (2-2) to consecutive wins over Grundy and Oak Hill.

"He can run and throw the ball so he's a threat both ways, and he's helped us defensively," Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said. "Along with the other guys, in the right frame of mind, J.T. can really help us."

A difficult schedule and a plenty of inexperience was something the Beavers had to work through early in the season. A few position changes and some game experience has Bluefield up to 19th in the WVSSAC Class AA rankings and climbing toward its normal spot in the postseason.

"There wasn't any doubts in our minds we would be all right because the first game we didn't have Travis Steptoe and that was a huge difference without him," Powell said. "I knew we weren't fully healthy so I knew once we got back our whole team we would be ready.

"The experience factor is there too. Everybody was just getting into the rhythm of playing on the varsity level."

Players like Jonathan Payne, Maurice Jordan, Allen Collins, Mark Page and Matthew Carter have also been instrumental in the Beavers' return to their winning ways. McClanahan replaced Powell for a game-and-a-half, and Graham head coach Doug Marrs thought McClanahan had performed well. However, there's little doubt that the speedy Powell adds a dual threat to Bluefield's offense, which has scored 42 and 35 points in their last two games.

"He's a different dimension, we thought (McClanahan) did an admirable job being put in the situation he was placed in the last time, but J.T. wants to run the ball," Marrs said. "It's nice to have a quarterback that wants to run the ball."

Powell will throw it, run it, hand it off, whatever is needed. He's just glad to get another chance to play the G-Men.

"I'm glad to be able to play and happy I don't have no torn ACL or anything like that where I can't play," Powell said. " I'm just going to go out there and make the best of it. I will give my best and give it all I've got."

-Contact Brian Woodson at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

Having sat through 40+ Graham vs. Beaver games I think that playing twice in one year is a shame. Shame on those that agreed for this to take place. I am also sorry for those Graham seniors that have to play this game twice and run the risk of losing that memory of beating Beaver their senior year, or for those Beaver Seniors that run the risk of losing to Graham twice in one year. If Beaver wins, then it is like a tie and kissing your sister (no-one wins). I think the fans will suffer too. This game is such a rivalry, and playing twice will lessen that intensity. I would have rather seen the two teams with an additional open date versus playing this game in mid-season. Comments?

i'll agree and disagree with GHS82 about all that... i agree with him and the fact about being a Graham Sr and maybe having that sweet and emotional game 1 win taken away from them. i'll agree with the fact about being a Bluefield Sr and maybe losing twice in once season to Graham. and i'll agree that if Bluefield wins, then it's like a tie and kissing your sister. however, when looking at this from the Bluefield standpoint and getting into the playoffs... getting a second chance at a team that has already beat you, will boost your confidence. not to mention the ability to get points for the win, and the BONUS POINTS you'll get from beating a good team in Graham that you know will win more games down the road.

so again, i'm sort of torn... just like in the first one where i of course pulled for Bluefield, but i didn't mind the loss at all because of the respect for Carlock and that program and what those boys have gone through. but this one is different and all that emotion was played out in the first one... now it's BEAVER / graham time ... Round 2. nothing else like it in the world, and i can't wait!!!

So you think Bluefield should only play 8 games instead of playing Graham twice and have 9 games? I understand what you are saying but these teams are trying to get into the playoffs and if Bluefield only plays 8 games and they go

5-3, they probably don't make it. I do agree that it would be nice if they only played each other 1 time in a season because of the bragging rights but until the other teams around here stop being scared and decide to schedule Bluefield and Graham, they really don't have a choice.