Reclassification with current numbers 3/31/05

CPF

AAA would be from Westfield with 3112 to Potomac with 1475, meaning Pulaski County would go back to AAA. AA would be JEB Stuart with 1466 to Appomattox with 707, with no schools that are currently A coming up to AA. And A would be Thomas Jefferson with 700 to Highland with 109, meaning Graham,Tazewell,Grundy,Va High,Dan River all dropping to single A. The truth is the biggest impact will be on single A with 3 and possibly 4 quality teams dropping, while Pulaski goes back from where they came, in this part of the state that is about all. That was 305 schools counted with the breakdown as following AAA- 102 schools AA 102 schools and A 101 schools.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is done by regions it would depend on who is placed where. I would say that Va High would end up in region D with Graham,Tazewell,and Grundy is region C. Who knows, I really don't care, as long as this BS is fixed by the VHSL.

I dont think graham,tazewell,grundy,and Vhigh will be in reg c because it is allready bigger than reg d and dropping those teams down will make the reg d bigger even things out but this all could be for nothing because the VHSL really has things messed up and will probally make it worse WHATS WRONG WITH A 4A SYSTEM confused.gifmad.gif that seems the easiest route to me

won't happen...Graham and Grundy won't go to single A...they'll close hurley and put them at Grundy before they did that and Graham would somehow conjure up more students I'm sure..Tazewell won't go either...just won't happen. I'm sure Va High would love it though.

Lance, even if they closed Hurley, grundy would still not have enough kids to stay double A, because most of the kids from Hurley would go to other school such as Phelps, Ieager, and Twin Valeey before they would go to grundy.

im with rebel05 on grundy the only graham would have a chance at staying up is to close pocy and I dont think that will do it,tazewell will have to move down this all depends on the VHSL and if they will use the power they have and straighten things out

I personally like the way the REG D would look under the reclassification and I think it is best for all involved

Lance, if there is no playing up or down then Grundy doesn't have a choice. They will be A with Graham and Tazewell. And even if you close Pocy and send them to Graham that would only give us 623 kids, which still only makes us the 19th largest single A school in the state. Under this scenerio Graham is still single A.

With Christiansburg now a presence. To be mild. Grundy would continue dominance at the Class A level. The other sports would be more competitive and in present AA Classification.

Region D qould be a good fit for all, give Va High to Region C because of I-81...The new districts would be interesting..

[ QUOTE ]

won't happen...Graham and Grundy won't go to single A...they'll close hurley and put them at Grundy before they did that and Graham would somehow conjure up more students I'm sure..Tazewell won't go either...just won't happen. I'm sure Va High would love it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the population of this (Tazewell) county keeps decreasing its going to happen, look at McDowell County in West Virginia and follow the same blueprint. Soon there is going to be call for two high new schools to be built in Tazewell County and shut these four old buildings down.

[ QUOTE ]

The plan is for two. One on each end of the county. "TC East" and "TC West" I guess. Who knows if that actually happens though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't given this a lot of thought, but...

When it does happen, I think the western school should be named Pounding Mill High School and the sports teams would be called the Quarriers. They could use the logo from the old USFL Pittsburgh Maulers:

PittsburghMaulers2.GIF

except the main colors would be black and red instead.

Whaddyathink?

[ QUOTE ]

The plan is for two. One on each end of the county. "TC East" and "TC West" I guess. Who knows if that actually happens though.

[/ QUOTE ]

They said that when I was in high school, and that was a loooooong time ago. They can't even come up with money to pay our stadium rent, why would they build two new schools? And if they did, everyone around is going to be single A, so you would have another Lee County situation and district travel will be impossible. I would be shocked if this county ever went to two high schools.

The TC school board was advised to close all four high schools and open two new ones within the next 10-15 years. This was in the paper last year. Whether it actually happens is another story.

You think if Russell County ever consolidates it will be one or two schools? If they just build one big school in Lebanon we could lose a lot of kids to Buchanan, Tazewell, Wise, and Scott Counties because its a lot closer for a lot of people in the county to go to Council, Richlands, St. Paul, and Nicklesville than it is to go to Lebanon. I think if we ever consolidate, build a "Russell Co. East" in Rosedale and a "Russell County South" in Hansonville.

[ QUOTE ]

The TC school board was advised to close all four high schools and open two new ones within the next 10-15 years. This was in the paper last year. Whether it actually happens is another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I've mulled this over in my mind. The pattern that I have observed in the construction of new schools (I work in the construction industry) is this. If you follow the building of new residential subdivisions, you can generally pick out a central location of the newer construction. That is a good starting point for planning committees and the school board for begin looking for potential ground.

I've seen that also. Living in the Richmond area for 12 years, I saw several new schools built in Chesterfield County and most were built within, or at least very close to newer subdivisions.

I would expect "TC West" to be built in the Claypool Hill/Pounding Mill area. The construction going on there right now reminds me very much of how it was in the Richmond suburbs 20 years ago.

One of the problems with a two-high school Tazewell County would be figuring out where the current Tazewell students would go.

I think it is pretty much a given that all the current Richlands kids would stay at the "west" school and all the Graham and Pocahontas kids would stay at the "east" school. Do you put all the Tazewell students in the "east" school or split them up?

If you split them up, how do you do it? A good portion of the Baptist Valley kids who currently go to Tazewell, as well as the ones in the old Rivermont Elementary zone could go to "TC West" with the kids in and around the town of Tazewell to "TC East". The Bishop and Thompson Valley areas could probably go either way.

I think the political uproar, plus the distances involved would prevent the county from going to two schools. The most likely scenario IMO is closing Pocahontas and going with three high schools.