Reclassification with current numbers 3/31/05

CPF

[ QUOTE ]

I for one am totally against any consolidation of the Tazewell Co. Schools except Graham/Pocohantas. What surprises me is that nothing has been mentioned about how poorly the county seems to be managed at times (i.e...the whole court house deal) The population of the Pocahontas/Tazewell/Bluefield area is bound to rise when the prison opens creating 400+ jobs. Look at Appalachia High with around 200 students! Richlands, Tazewell, and Graham are all currently AA schools with enrollments of 400-800 (approximation). I speak as a former Richlands football player, there is too much tradition in the three larger county schools to even speak of consolidation. Look at increased travel distances for all sporting events if all county and neighboring county schools decided to enact this cruel fate. I don't call for consolidation, I'm calling for less political B.S. and better management of our tax money!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most, if not all of those "400+ jobs" will be taken by folks who already live and work (or currently don't work at all) in this area. People are foolish to think the new prison is going make such a huge impact. Sure, its great that there will be that many "new" jobs available but it will have little, if any, bearing on the local population or school enrollments. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be suprised to see people move away from the area near the prison just to feel "safe", thus causing an even larger decrease in enrollment at Pocahontas.

And I promise you, when it comes time for those "in power" to choose between "tradition" and "money", "money" will win EVERYTIME...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I will be one of the 400 of them there!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Bulldog52...do you already live/work in this area? Do you plan on moving to Bluefield or Pocahontas?

I agree with g-man.. the prison will create alot of jobs but i don't see it bringing a huge population to this area. I know atleast 25 people that are employeed "building" it right now and they're all from here.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with g-man.. the prison will create alot of jobs but i don't see it bringing a huge population to this area. I know atleast 25 people that are employeed "building" it right now and they're all from here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally!!! We agree on something!!! shocked.gif

One of the drawbacks to consolidation is that fewer students tend to participate in extracurricular activities. Think as many Tazewell students who don't drive are going to participate if they have to get a ride from almost Bluefield or Richlands, or vice-versa? On the plus side the new school might be able to offer additional activities or sports that a smaller one might not, but my guess is overall participation might decline.

Two high schools for Tazewell County certainly makes more financial sense than three or four high schools. I just think it is more likely that Pocahontas closes and the other three remain open.

Going back to the argument over staying in AA for the sake of "tradition", off the top of my head here is a list of schools that dropped down in classification over the last two decades or so, some from AA to A and others from AAA to AA:

Lebanon

George Wythe

Radford

Giles

Narrows

John Battle

Patrick Henry

Gate City

Salem

William Fleming

Pulaski County

Northside

Covington

The point is, people who are against Tazewell, Graham and Grundy dropping down should maybe step back and take a look at how many schools have done the same with very few problems. I'm sure there were numerous people in the aforementioned communities that did not want to lose traditional rivalries but these schools carried on regardless.

Sure the games wouldn't mean quite as much if Richlands were still AA while Tazewell, Graham and Grundy were A but the rivalries (and gate receipts) would be every bit as strong. Salem and Pulaski County were in different classifications for years but their football game was the biggest regular season game on either's schedule. Likewise with Covington (A) and Alleghany (AA). Gate City also had big rivalries with Powell Valley and Appalachia even when GC was in the Highlands.

prisons dont increase population only jobs

example 1 keen mountain. did it increase the population of oakwood/garden NO

example 2 red onion. did it increase the population of clintwood/pound NO all they did is give people an alternative to coal mining

I honestly dont see TC consolidating except for pocy/graham but I do see WC consolidating soon simply because it doesent make sence to keep 6 schools open pound is 5 minutes from JJ kelly. appalachia is right beside powell valley and St. paul is about 5 minutes from coeburn the only school that wont consolidate is JI burton because they are a city school not county. next will be DC because we simply cant afford to build 3 or even 2 new schools the new school would be built in clinchco which is 20 mins from cwood, 15 from haysi, and 10 from ervinton. BC will be next hurley,and council are small and Twin valley is a product of consolidation (that has went very smooth)and is still small. BC would have two schools just close council and send those students to TV, close hurley and send them to grundy

[ QUOTE ]

the gate at allegahany and covington is not that big anymore

the rivalry does not seem to be as big either from what my neice says compared to 5 years ago when she was at allegahany high

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the gate is less than it was 20 years ago simply because that area has lost so much in population. The point is the fact they are in different districts and classifications doesn't detract from the rivalry as it's still the biggest game on each school's schedule.

School consolidation shouldn't be about sports, never has been and never will be. It's about tax dollars and how to provide the best possible EDUCATION to the children that live in that county.

Too many people want to be a big fish in a small pond.

[ QUOTE ]

School consolidation shouldn't be about sports, never has been and never will be. It's about tax dollars and how to provide the best possible EDUCATION to the children that live in that county.

Too many people want to be a big fish in a small pond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post, but I really don't see anyone here advocating consolidation (or opposing it for that matter) just for sports purposes. To me this discussion appears to be about the effect consolidation might have on attendance zones and sports.

[ QUOTE ]

prisons dont increase population only jobs

example 1 keen mountain. did it increase the population of oakwood/garden NO

example 2 red onion. did it increase the population of clintwood/pound NO all they did is give people an alternative to coal mining

I honestly dont see TC consolidating except for pocy/graham but I do see WC consolidating soon simply because it doesent make sence to keep 6 schools open pound is 5 minutes from JJ kelly. appalachia is right beside powell valley and St. paul is about 5 minutes from coeburn the only school that wont consolidate is JI burton because they are a city school not county. next will be DC because we simply cant afford to build 3 or even 2 new schools the new school would be built in clinchco which is 20 mins from cwood, 15 from haysi, and 10 from ervinton. BC will be next hurley,and council are small and Twin valley is a product of consolidation (that has went very smooth)and is still small. BC would have two schools just close council and send those students to TV, close hurley and send them to grundy

[/ QUOTE ]

I mis-stated my thoughts on the subject. The new prison may not "increase" the population. But, it very well may sustain it, which would help fix the problem of continous lower enrollments in the area schools. You are right, an alternative to coal mining. But it is also an alternative to families moving away from Poca., Bluefield, Tazewell, Grundy, Richlands, Clintwood, Pound, Appalachia, Big Stone Gap....etc.... As for people moving away because of safety reasons, that has not nor will it be an issue. The VA DOC is one of the most respected in the entire nation.

You must not be reading very clearly because there have been plenty of posts without regards to sports. Also there is plenty of sentiment both ways expressed here.

This thread started out on reclassification in VHSL and it's effects on SWD schools and how they would end up as Class A schools with the exception of Richlands and it veered off into consolidation once Pocahontas and consolidation got mentioned.

My post was simply a response to those who have said certain schools schouldn't be consolidated into a theoretical new school because of their football or sports tradition, which simply I stated consolidation shouldn't and wouldn't have anything to do with sports, which I think someone else also said it was about Money and Taxpayers money when the decision would be made.

I didnt mean to get hateful it just seems that some people look at the prisions as saviors and they are not,only an alternative. consolidation is coming weather everybody wants it or not bigger schools mean a better education for students and that is above school loyalty or any thing else.

but it is hard not to think about sports grin.gif

I can read just fine. I said people aren't on here (meaning in this particular thread) advocating or opposing consolidation JUST FOR SPORTS PURPOSES. That's why I said I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post, which made it sound like people in this thread were saying "let's consolidate so we can be good in sports" or "let's not consolidate so we won't lose our rivalries." I know there are people out there who feel that way and if it's a general post, fine. That's why I asked.

Yes there has been plenty of discussion here about consolidation without regards to sports. I never argued otherwise.