Goodbye Big Creek Football

beaverbaseball

I know alot of you may not know about the tradition of Big Creek High Football but it has been a tradition since 1931 and it has came to an end this year...

You may not be interested in this but I just want to get this off my chest because im sad to see such a great thing come to a end...I grew up around Big Creek football..Im very proud of being the grandson of Mario Poletti...Every practice, every team meeting, every game, I was there..From the age I could walk till 2000 when I started playing football myself in Bluefield....

My grandpa drove by the stadium today and he saw the bleachers were totally demolished...It broke his heart but he knew it was going to happen...They started construction on the field yesterday for the new Middle School..Its hard to see something like this go but theres nothing I can do...I am happy they are going to keep up the old High School and with the help of Homer Hickem it might be turned into a NASA museum which will be good for the local communities...I was attached to the tradition of Big Creek football and its hard to let go...They have a tradition much like Bluefields football team...Im also proud to say my grandpa, dad, and 2 uncles are Big Creek football ulumnies and where all-state selections back when they played...I just wished I could have kept the tradition going, but I moved to BLuefield(which I love my beavers!)

I would like to share a few things about the tradition of Owl Football:

There has been greats to play football at Big Creek High...Including Grahams Legenday Coach GLYNN CARLOCK(rip)...He played football for the 4 years he attended Big Creek and stay as an assistant coach for a year after

Merrill Gainer also played football at Big Creek High for 4 years and was a Coach at Big Creek for a good number of years...He is second in career wins as a Big Creek head coach with 79 wins, Just behind my grandpa Mario Poletti

My grandpa: Mario Poletti who the field is currently named after: He taught me everything I know about sports and I owe him more than life itself..I love you grandpa, thank you for everthing you have done for me...

Mario Poletti is the Career wins leader at Big Creek High School win 100 wins, which 41 of the 100 where shutouts..Which I think is a very impressive number

He kept the tradition alive at Big Creek for many and many years and I think him for that

Big Creek might not have the State Championships like Bluefield or Graham but the tradition is just as good..Where do u think bluefield and graham got there tradition from?? Carlock and Gainer both played football, coached, and gradutated at Big Creek High wink.gif

I just want to thank everyone who has ever supported or been with the Owls

The 3 best seasons for Big Creek:

1957: Only 2 teams made the playoffs back then, which ment the winner would be the state champions

Big Creek went 10-0 in 1957 along with Weir and Fairmont Senior going undefeated...Big Creek was thought to be the best team in the entire state that year but for some reason Weir and Fairmont was selected to play in the Championship game where Weir won the AA State Championship(AA was the largest class back then)

1976 State Championship Game

Big Creek Vs. Ravenswood

Ravenswood upsets Big Creek 15-7 with 4th quarter score

1997 State Championship game(which I was there thankfully)

Big Creek Vs Moorefield

This was the last year my grandpa was going to coach, so of course he wanted to go out with a boom! Big Creek was up 12-9 with 1 minute to play in the game..They had Moorefield at mid-field 4th and 2..Moorefields running back ran up the middle where the Owls Matt Martin met him at the line of scrimage..Down he went at the line..Big Creek stop them, Big Creek is the state champions right?? no...The ref gave Moorefield a spot 2 yards ahead which gave them the first down..Next play Moorefield throws a 50 yard TD pass to win 15-12...This is why I despise Moorefield and If I ever saw the ref that made that call I would knock the hell out of him(trying to be nice)....The doctor said my grandpa had a slight heart-attack at the end of the game..I guess he was shocked at the call just like everyone else in the stadium..Moorefield knows they don't deserve that ring for 1997..In my heart Big Creek won the 1997 A State Championship and that is good enough for me...

Since 1931 Big Creek has sent players out on the field to play in late Augest but that isn't going to happen ever again...All good things must come to an end I guess

The overall record of the 74 year tradition is:

415-277-25

Bluefield and Big Creek used to be a huge Rivalry...I remember looking through old papers where Big Creek beat BLuefield 76-0 and then 2 years later Bluefield beat Big Creek 74-0...

I guess I wrote enough, even though I could say much more but I have to go to bed..

BCHS you will always be in my heart!

Thats bad for them to fold the team. After only making it to the state game 8 years before they should have gave the kids a chance. I remember before the season started how they said hurley would fold if they didnt get a winning season well they did 8-3 im glad for hurley to keep there school football going and im sad that the people in big creek wont be able to go out and set and watch games on friday nights anymore.

It's a sad set of days for Big Creek and I hate to see the day when consolidation comes our way in Giles Co. They've been trying to consolidate Narrows off/on for 40+ years and one day it will happen. When it does happen, I expect about the same reaction around this area.

But, I just saw where Big Creek alum, Jim Hickam was fired from Northside. He was the 3rd active winningest coach in the Roanoke Times area behind Ragsdale at Giles and Lineburg at Radford. Why would they fire him?? That's beyond me. Only a couple years ago, Northside ran the table in the regular season and finished AP #1 in AA only to be beat in the first round by a always solid Blacksburg in OT.

But isn't Big Creek consolidating with Iaeger? If so, now's there's a high profile and proven alum availible. I personally wouldn't mind to see it.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/wb/xp-45247

I saw my first high school football game, back in the mid -fifties, Big Creek vs Richlands. Dave Rider was their great running back and the game was played, where the Richlands Police Station/little league field presently sets. In my opinion, the 1957 Big Creek was one of the best high school team I had seen in this area. Coach M. Gainer, Gerald HOlbrook(VPI),Jim Hickam(VPI), Art Pruett(VPI), Cecil Hampton(WVU), Bellamy(WVU) and others I can't recall. They were given the shaft by WV High School League.

[ QUOTE ]

But isn't Big Creek consolidating with Iaeger? If so, now's there's a high profile and proven alum availible. I personally wouldn't mind to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are

Hopefully the two schools will be able to keep the great tradition alive

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I know Hurley and Big Creek had a rivalry. I didnt get to play againts them this year do to a injury, but it was a slobber knocker game. Big Creek has always been one of the hardest hittin teams we played year in and year out.

Thats one of the main things my grandpa tought...He was a expert when it came to defense and he was all about the hard-hitting..But unlike alot of teams just trying to hit hard doesn't work, he taught how to wrap up and bring down your man

I think Big Creek was the best team that hurley beat this year. They had a good group of boys and they were a well coached team. I would say they were probably the hardest hitting team that hurley played all year. Everbody wanted to say hurley played a weak schedule by playing WVA teams but i think they would have beat anybody hurley played but haysi and honaker...I have the upmost respect for them because their boys go out and give it their all. If they coimbine with Ieager they will be hard to deal with....I hate this for the big creek community..

beaverbaseball, I grew and played football here in Martinsville but have always admired the hardnosed style of play and toughness of the athletes from SW Va & southern W. Va. there are tons of good high school football programs in Va and WVa whose coaches learned the trade in your area from men such as your grandpa. this is the type of thread that makes this a great site and so interesting to fb fans like me.

Thank you norseman!

Here's an article from the BDT about what they are going to do in the future to the school

http://www.bdtonline.com/cnhi/bdtonline/editorials/local_story_353170210.html?keyword=secondarystory

Going to War may soon have new meaning in McDowell County. Although Big Creek High School  thrust in the national spotlight after Homer Hickam’s first book, “Rocket Boys,†and subsequent movie, “October Sky† is expected to close in the spring of 2008, the town is already making plans for the historic structure.

“It’s always been our intent to get this building,†War Mayor Tom Hatcher told the Daily Telegraph last week. “We want to have a science center at the school, and with the help of Sonny Homer Hickam Jr., we hope to make it a NASA museum. We also would like to make a coal miner’s museum as well.â€ÂÂ

There is also talk of converting the back of the building into a small hotel to serve all-terrain vehicle riders who will be traveling through the area when the Hatfield-McCoy Trail expands into the region.

The Big Creek Owls have a rich history in McDowell County, and tensions ran high when discussions of consolidation of schools in the county began years ago. Many did not want to see the Owls’ legacy cast aside  even if it meant a new state-of-the-art school for a county hard hit by an economic downturn in recent decades.

The idea to preserve and develop the structure is a admirable compromise between those who want to save the heritage of the past and others eager to move into an exciting and prosperous future. The town has already established a committee that is meeting to regularly discuss plans for the facility, which include the museums and cultural center. “It’s definitely going to them, and they are going to create a museum,†School Superintendent Dr. Mark Manchin said. “We are just going to give it back to the community.â€ÂÂ

McDowell County Commissioner Judy Cortellesi has pledged to help seek state and federal grant funding for preservation of the school, built in 1931.

The school will, in all probability, be turned over to a non-profit agency in the future capable of securing the necessary grant funding for the upcoming museum projects.

While class bells, blackboards, lockers and teens dreaming of a future  perhaps one in space, like Big Creek’s famous son Homer Hickam  may be in the historic structure, it will continue to play a vital role in the community.

We commend those visionaries in McDowell County who showed true professionalism and nobility in putting aside differences in letting go of a school obviously close to their heart, and moving on to creating a structure that may one day soon be the new pride of War.

Iaeger in 2008 I believe. It will be Bradshaw High School right?

We played Big Creek in basketball yesterday and i talked to some of the players and they're all really sad about losing their team. All the ones I talked to aren't very happy about combining with iaeger either.

• 4 weeks later...

As stated above, I dread the day when Giles Co consolidates it's two high schools (Narrows & Giles). I can see it coming in the near future, but it will be a sad day to lay down the traditions of not only Narrows, but both schools. Hope everything goes smooth in the near future for both schools.