rushing-275

passing-249

total-524

Tazewell:

rushing-49

passing-19

total-68

Individual:

McCracken had no more passing or rushing attempts in the second half. He was 11-17 with 3 tds and 1 int. He also had 1 rushing td and 12 rushing yards on 6 attempts.

Jenning finished with 102 yds on 14 carries (7.3ypc) and 3 tds. He also had 1 receiving td.

The Blues definetly came out tonight and made a statment to all of those who doubted their ability to play in a big game. After last weeks and tonights preformance, maybe everyone will realize Richlands is the real deal, and not overrated as some have said. Great job guys! IMO the only challenge you all have left is CC, but for now lets just look at it one game at a time. Good luck the rest of the season and keep on playing every game like its the biggest of the season, and you all will go far. Also, good luck to Tazewell the rest of the year, I didnt get to watch the game, and I hav not heard alot about, except the score, but I'm sure you guys gave it your all, and thats all you can ask for.

[ QUOTE ]

Final stats:

Richlands:

rushing-275

passing-249

total-524

Tazewell:

rushing-49

passing-19

total-68

Individual:

McCracken had no more passing or rushing attempts in the second half. He was 11-17 with 3 tds and 1 int. He also had 1 rushing td and 12 rushing yards on 6 attempts.

Jenning finished with 102 yds on 14 carries (7.3ypc) and 3 tds. He also had 1 receiving td.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to Richlands. Thanks to bluekick for the updates. Good luck against Marion, blue.

i got to the game just a little late (driving like a maniac from bristol) and it was already 21 -0 halfway thru the 1st quarter....ended up being what i would think the biggest point differential in the history of the series...

Here is the article by Bucky Dent in the Bristol Herald Courier:

[ QUOTE ]

The unbeaten Blue Tornadoes were at it again Friday night in jam-packed Ernie Hicks Stadium, scoring on nine of their 11 possessions to thump arch-rival Tazewell 61-0 in a Southwest District mismatch.

Quarterback Justin McCracken threw for 242 yards and three touchdowns - all in the first half - giving him 1,055 yards and 18 TD throws on the season.

Wide receiver Austin Fuller caught five passes for 144 yards and scored three touchdowns. Running back Caleb Jennings rushed for 100 yards in 14 attempts and scored four touchdowns, giving him 17 in six games.

"We came out ready to play," Fuller said. "We got a couple of quick touchdowns and we were pumped up. We’re always ready to go when it’s Tazewell."

Richlands (6-0, 3-0) came out throwing as the Bulldogs keyed on Jennings. Getting Fuller isolated in one-on-one coverage frequently, McCracken hit him for gains of 32, 25 and 51 yards in the game’s first 7 ½ minutes.

"You’ve got a 6-foot-3 receiver out there who can catch anything thrown to him, behind him and on the ground," McCracken said of Fuller. "In one-on-one coverage, I’m going to (throw to him) all day."

Fuller may become the first receiver in school history to amass 1,000 yards in a season. He has 454 through six games and needs just 283 yards to break Rob Stanton’s year-old school record.

Fuller added a 41-yard run on a fake punt late in the first half, then took a turn at QB in the third quarter and tacked on a four-yard TD run.

The Blues were as stingy defensively as they were explosive on offense. Tazewell (3-2, 0-2) picked up a first down on its initial possession, then got just two more for the game’s remainder.

Playing without tailback Eric McDaniel (high ankle sprain), the Bulldogs got just 61 total yards and committed five turnovers, leading to 28 Richlands points.

"We were a lot sharper tonight in all phases," Blues coach Greg Mance said. "Our defense set the tone early with a couple of big hits. We still have a lot of work to do, however."

Mance even saw his team convert extra points with more consistency. Connor McCall knocked 7-of-8 through the uprights after hitting just 15-of-26 in the first five games.

Richlands finished with 497 total yards, a number which would have been higher had the Terry Bass-led officiating crew not run an almost continuous clock through the second half in an attempt to end the massacre.

The clock even rolled during extra point attempts, change of possessions and kickoffs.

It was the 25th straight regular season win for the Blues, which have outscored their opponents 296-29 and only been challenged once in six second halves.

"We’ve got to be prepared to play better teams," McCracken said. "We’ve got to be prepared for everybody’s best. We just have to keep working every week and get ready for every game."

Calculators and opposing defenses shudder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citation: http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-09-30-0011.html

Was the time-keeping really that bad?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

VHSL has a rule this year, if a team is winning by at least 35 points starting in the second half, you have a continous clock. The only time the clock stops is change of possession, after a TD, and for kickoffs. I guess the crew thought the game was so out of hand, they ran it duing the PAT'S as well.

It's called the Mercy Rule.

new rule in VA this year - clock runs when you're ahead by 35 or more. We hit that before h//t tonight. Felt kinda sad for Taze when Caleb started the 3rd quarter; but I don't think he had 40 yards in the first half - all 3 of his TD's were 3 yards.

parsons - I think it's the Blues largest MARGIN in a game ever and 3rd most points in a game (other 2 were vs. Lee)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

VHSL has a rule this year, if a team is winning by at least 35 points starting in the second half, you have a continous clock. The only time the clock stops is change of possession, after a TD, and for kickoffs. I guess the crew thought the game was so out of hand, they ran it duing the PAT'S as well.

It's called the Mercy Rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be damn. After reading your post, I did a google search for "35-point rule VHSL" -- check this out:

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/04/2006_football_rule_312_mercy_rule.aspx

VHSL Mercy Rule beginning with the 2006 season: When a thirty-five (35) point differential is reached at half-time or at any point in the second half, the game clock will continue to run anytime there is an incomplete pass or the runner goes out of bounds. Should the point differential be reduced to less than thirty-five points, game officials will discontinue the use of this timing adjustment. This adoption will be utilized only during regular season games and at all levels (varsity and sub-varsity). The adjustment may not be utilized when Rule 3-1-3 is in effect.

Thanks for the heads up 89.

That was the last time we played Lee High, I beleave im wanting to say that was three years ago. Good game to all the Blues, you boys played (cola) with CHARACTER last night. It would take the whole page to mention all of you that had a great night But I'd like to give a special thumbs up to Conner McCall.

Get ready for the BATTLE of the STORMS next week

Anybody read the bluefield paper today, I think there is a misprint, it says we are going for our second consecutive district title, is my memory failing or are we going for our third consecutive

[ QUOTE ]

That was the last time we played Lee High, I beleave im wanting to say that was three years ago. Good game to all the Blues, you boys played (cola) with CHARACTER last night. It would take the whole page to mention all of you that had a great night But I'd like to give a special thumbs up to Conner McCall.

Get ready for the BATTLE of the STORMS next week

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think Conner had it in him. 6/8 is not that bad for his first year of kicking, although he had some really bad kicks go though; but his flight and power with the kicks improved as the game progressed.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be damn. After reading your post, I did a google search for "35-point rule VHSL" -- check this out:

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/04/2006_football_rule_312_mercy_rule.aspx

VHSL Mercy Rule beginning with the 2006 season: When a thirty-five (35) point differential is reached at half-time or at any point in the second half, the game clock will continue to run anytime there is an incomplete pass or the runner goes out of bounds. Should the point differential be reduced to less than thirty-five points, game officials will discontinue the use of this timing adjustment. This adoption will be utilized only during regular season games and at all levels (varsity and sub-varsity). The adjustment may not be utilized when Rule 3-1-3 is in effect.

Thanks for the heads up 89.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is Rule 3-1-3?