coaching todays game

Tarter_Ball28

[ QUOTE ]

I think if a coach can get fired up and yell at some of his boys and put a little fear into them, i dont think that they will ever respect their coaches and they wont play hard for them...what do ull think???

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you just say that the kids will not have respect for their coaches if the coaches get fired up and yell at them?

I was always told that if they weren't yelling at me, they didn't care about me!

I tell my kids the same thing!

Kids want guidance and structure. They want to be told what to do. It's just that sometimes on the football field it comes out as yelling due to the heat of the moment!

We baby our kids too much in todays society and that is our problem!

If the child needs discipline then give it to them and do not sugar coat everything.

Just my 2 cents sorry for ranting! haha

well nowadays if the kids dont get playing time then the parents bring out guns and so forth and so on....i mean if the kid wants to play then he needs to work his butt off to be able to..it shoudlnt just be handed to em and that theory of every kid should play is a joke...when the game is on the line...we want the best players playing...

You can do it in Abingdon too. You just can't be stupid and do stuff in the class when you're already on the hotseat as a coach. I think you've got to figure out what makes your team play hard. Not always getting "fired up" gets your team to play. You've got to get them to play for the people sitting next to them.

I agree with almost everything that was said on this board. Just imagine when little Johnny gets a timeout all of the time growing up, then gets his A** fired at work because he didn't do as he was told. How would you like to go to war with a bunch of soldiers that were trained with kiddy gloves. Just ask any current soldier and they will be the first to tell you that even our military forces have to listen to this liberal bullcrap. You have to break kids down a little to get them built back up into a team that can play together and win!

You have to use psychology to coach any team on any level. In high school, if a coach doesn't ever yell, he or she sends a message that what they are doing isn't important. I mean if a player makes a mistake in a game, and it has been drilled over and over in practice, and the coach isn't upset about it, then the player will get the message that its o.k. Coaches have to yell at times to send the message that this isn't a club, or study hall, or even a class. I'm not saying sports are more important than academics, just that they are different. Yelling is a way of saying, " lets get serious about this, or the other team is going to embarrass you in front of a stadium full of people", and yelling is also a way of weeding out those players that don't really care. Having said all of that, some coaches can and do take yelling (and cussing) too far, although I feel they are rare, and what is more common is parents and players using a little yelling as an excuse.

Years ago I had a job in a restaurant and the manager would always yell and scream during the busy hours; "do this" "get that" "you're not moving fast enough" but when the shift was over she turned that off and became one of the nicest people around. Yelling was just her way of being in charge and getting things done the way they were supposed to be done. Maybe the problem with Gregory is he didn't know when to turn it off?

I don't think there is an absolute. Consider John Wooden...he led UCLA to a record number of national championships in an are when a coach was never questioned about yelling, and yet they say he never even raised his voice. I think it depends on the individual coach, not neccesarily the "type" of players he has. A good coach is a good coach, whether he is a "yeller" or not, he can motivate his players and get the most out of them.

Need to throw in a few "Good Job" along with the yelling.Constant yelling with no praise ever makes for a kid that will stop trying. Find something good to tell the kids...might motivate them to do better. (And you can yell without profanity)

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is an absolute. Consider John Wooden...he led UCLA to a record number of national championships in an are when a coach was never questioned about yelling, and yet they say he never even raised his voice. I think it depends on the individual coach, not neccesarily the "type" of players he has. A good coach is a good coach, whether he is a "yeller" or not, he can motivate his players and get the most out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great example and well said.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that was back in the days before all the spoiled, crybabies who call themselves athletes weren't BIGGER than the coach...that was back when basketball was a TEAM game instead of 1-on-1 street ball...that was back when professional athletes didn't make millions of dollars and getting a college education meant something to the students who played the game...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but that was back in the days before all the spoiled, crybabies who call themselves athletes weren't BIGGER than the coach...that was back when basketball was a TEAM game instead of 1-on-1 street ball...that was back when professional athletes didn't make millions of dollars and getting a college education meant something to the students who played the game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Attitudes and the politcs of being a coach have certainly changed.