Washington County with two coaches to hire?

falconfan1

According to a write-up in the BHC on Gregory taking the job at Bethune-Cookman (at the end) they said one may be hired at the end of the month or early March....

"Meanwhile, the search is under way for a new head football coach.

Principal Jeff Noe said a coach will likely be named by the end of this month or in early March.

"I want it as soon as possible, but we also want to find the right person," Noe said.

According to the Virginia High School League, football practice for Virginia high school teams begins Aug. 1."

Full article:

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news/education.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-02-09-0003.html

Bristol Herald Courier

Holston High School’s new head football coach is a familiar face.

Jason Matlock, a 2001 Holston graduate, was named as the new football coach at his alma mater on Monday night during the Washington County school board meeting.

Matlock takes over for Mike Williams, who resigned in November after posting a 13-47 record in six seasons.

"Well, first of all I’m excited about the opportunity," Matlock said. "I think there is a lot of good kids there and there’s a good structure there to be successful."

A three-sport star during his career at Holston, Matlock was a quarterback for the Cavaliers. He later played baseball at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise and had been serving as an assistant coach at Abingdon.

"To be able to go back to the high school I graduated from, it’s definitely going to be exciting," Matlock said.

He will finish the year at Abingdon and will serve as an assistant baseball coach this spring. His younger sister, Beth, is the head volleyball coach at Patrick Henry.

The 24-year-old Matlock will be one of the youngest head coaches in Southwest Virginia.

"It’s something I’ve always wanted to do," Matlock said of being a head coach. "I’m thankful the opportunity came about and that the powers to be had the confidence in me. I’m excited to make a difference."

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-02-21-0036.html

There has been a lot of speculation about the Abingdon job, and anyone with half a brain knows it is just that ...speculation. After a terrible experience with their last head coach, wouldn't it be wise to take your time and make sure you are getting exactly what you want and what the program needs? I have heard and read countless rumors about who is getting the job. But I know they are just rumors. Laugh and enjoy them. The school and/or district interview people that apply and make their choice from that pool. A board/community member may have approached someone about the job on their own, but a district cannot make an offer to someone without that person applying, interviewing, and being voted on at a school board meeting. If the school board had done this, every applicant that applied for the job can sue them. WCS is even making people apply for the interim AD position. The funniest story (actually printed in some local newspapers) is that Abingdon HS offered Robbins a ton of money and he wouldn't even have to teach. NO WAY!

Congrats to Coach Matlock, hope you can get things turned around at Holston.

[ QUOTE ]

There has been a lot of speculation about the Abingdon job, and anyone with half a brain knows it is just that ...speculation. After a terrible experience with their last head coach, wouldn't it be wise to take your time and make sure you are getting exactly what you want and what the program needs? I have heard and read countless rumors about who is getting the job. But I know they are just rumors. Laugh and enjoy them. The school and/or district interview people that apply and make their choice from that pool. A board/community member may have approached someone about the job on their own, but a district cannot make an offer to someone without that person applying, interviewing, and being voted on at a school board meeting. If the school board had done this, every applicant that applied for the job can sue them. WCS is even making people apply for the interim AD position. The funniest story (actually printed in some local newspapers) is that Abingdon HS offered Robbins a ton of money and he wouldn't even have to teach. NO WAY!

Congrats to Coach Matlock, hope you can get things turned around at Holston.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the reason they haven't hired anyone is because no one wants the job...well, maybe they want the job but not the baggage that goes with it...

[ QUOTE ]

yea ok...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, think about it...you are about to enter a district in which just about every team in it hands you your ass when you play. On top of that, you have crybaby parents who go to the school board when little Johnny gets yelled at by the coach...in other words, thanks, but not thanks...I wouldn't want the job if I were a coach...

the little "johnny's" need to stick to soccer. Football is a contact sport and decipline is a part of the game even it means a some yelling. the kids are spoiled and its the parents fault.

[ QUOTE ]

yea thats why we have people gettin turned down by us and the only swd football team that "handed us our ass" was richlands i pretty sure we beat CC and Grundy and only lost to Tazewell by a touchdown... try again scooter

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on beating a very bad Grundy team, an inconsistent CC team, and a only losing by a touchdown to a team that Richlands beat by 61 points and Graham beat by 41 points. Trust me, Graham would've handed you your posterior as well. Although, if Vaught gets the A-town job, Falcon Football will take a turn for the better and eventually will become a threat in the SWD.

[ QUOTE ]

the little "johnny's" need to stick to soccer. Football is a contact sport and decipline is a part of the game even it means a some yelling. the kids are spoiled and its the parents fault.

[/ QUOTE ] yea.. do you even kno anything about abingdon, come down here and meet these kids then youll kno, u cant base the whole school on 2 kids who pussied out and got their parents involved, im gettin sick of yalls lame perception of abingdon

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yea thats why we have people gettin turned down by us and the only swd football team that "handed us our ass" was richlands i pretty sure we beat CC and Grundy and only lost to Tazewell by a touchdown... try again scooter

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on beating a very bad Grundy team, an inconsistent CC team, and a only losing by a touchdown to a team that Richlands beat by 61 points and Graham beat by 41 points. Trust me, Graham would've handed you your posterior as well. Although, if Vaught gets the A-town job, Falcon Football will take a turn for the better and eventually will become a threat in the SWD.

[/ QUOTE ]

u pretty much smashed every team in SWVA, typical richlands fan

I'm not smashing anybody. Just stating the facts. With the coaching incident aside, I'm tired of hearing about it and won't refer to it again. And if "...a typical Richlands fan..." means that I'm passionate about our team and have a great love of the sport. Thank You, I am a typical Richlands fan.

Agreed, maybe I added a little too much sarcasm. All in fun, though. I know A-town will bounce back. Especially, if you can land a top-notch coach. Hey, like I said, if Vaught gets the job, look-out. He was my football coach, and if he is hired, Abingdon will become a sentimental favorite of mine.

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed, maybe I added a little too much sarcasm. All in fun, though. I know A-town will bounce back. Especially, if you can land a top-notch coach. Hey, like I said, if Vaught gets the job, look-out. He was my football coach, and if he is hired, Abingdon will become a sentimental favorite of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell if they get Vaught we will have to start checking A-town shoes!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys quit playing Graham because they kept handing you your ass EVERYTIME they played. And Abingdon is 6-19 vs. current SWD schools since 2001...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys quit playing Graham because they kept handing you your ass EVERYTIME they played. And Abingdon is 6-19 vs. current SWD schools since 2001...

[/ QUOTE ]hate to break it to you gspot but this is 2007 new year for new things.. anything can happen, u cant rely on the same ol same ol

Abingdon will finish 5th or 6th in the "new" SWD...behind Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, and Carroll Co. and maybe behind Marion...new year, new coach, same Abingdon football program...