mitchell stadium from a salem fan.

zack

i was at the scrimmage in bluefield last year as a fan of high school football and i must say i was very impressed. the field was in need of some maintenance to keep it top notch, but even without that it was one of the best stadiums i had been at, filled with natural beauty, a perfect place for high school football between the 2 states. bluefield college on one side and bluefield state on the other.i was also very impressed with the fans of all the schools.

one other impression i had of the games after the scrimmages,after time had passed, you cannot take scrimmages and tell for certain what a team will do.i have watched the salem scrimmages before each year and most of the time they look pretty good but there are usually so many people still fighting for those remaining spots plus people being used at positions where they may or may not start at.for example at the bluefield scrimmage, i felt like pulaski would be much better, with or without their star running back.richlands looked very good, but they did not overly impress me but they did look solid.rockbridge had a few talented players and could make a run and they did.but most of the time scrimmages are scrimmages and the best teams are not out to impress but get ready, find missing pieces, people who can fill in, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

i was at the scrimmage in bluefield last year as a fan of high school football and i must say i was very impressed. the field was in need of some maintenance to keep it top notch

[/ QUOTE ]

Zack...

Normally the field at Mitchell Stadium is in excellent condition prior to the start of the season. Last year, the week before the scrimmages, we received a significant amount of rain and the field crew was unable to maintain the field (mow) the way they normally do. Also, even through early afternoon of the multi-team grid-o-rama, it rained quite a bit creating some very muddy field conditions and in turn, the field was chewed up pretty bad very quickly. As a matter of fact, the field was in the worst shape I've ever seen it in for the Graham-Beaver game last year due to the weather and the use prior to the start of the season. Fortunately, we won't have to ever worry about a muddy field at Mitchell Stadium again!!!

[ QUOTE ]

it was a great place regardless!really, the only thing i noticed were the yard lines were kind of faint.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats to help hide the left foot spots...lol...j/k

[ QUOTE ]

it was a great place regardless!really, the only thing i noticed were the yard lines were kind of faint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably had been "washed away" by the rain I mentioned.

Something to think about. Wouldn't it be a monster game to see Salem and Bluefield play, with all that championship history could be billed as the Battle of the Virginias. Would think that would fill Mitchell stadium up, it would pull people from everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]

Something to think about. Wouldn't it be a monster game to see Salem and Bluefield play, with all that championship history could be billed as the Battle of the Virginias. Would think that would fill Mitchell stadium up, it would pull people from everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt the Graham-Bluefield game already called the battle of the virginias?? but salem and bluefield wouldnt be a bad idea for a first couple of years, but once it got lopsided i'm sure it would end

it would be a lot more even a series than what some people would think. But I doubt that it would ever be scheduled, teams in that area simply don't have any reason to schedule an out of state team 2 hours away with all those quality teams closer by.

[ QUOTE ]

it would be a lot more even a series than what some people would think. But I doubt that it would ever be scheduled, teams in that area simply don't have any reason to schedule an out of state team 2 hours away with all those quality teams closer by.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it wouldn't..............

[ QUOTE ]

so says the biased va people, who's opinions are so biased against wv football I rarely consider them legit in these types of matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the ones that are biased are the very same ones that have had their "Virginia" teams beaten beaten by the Beavers in most years. That is, when Bluefield can get them to play them. Bluefield would be competitive with Salem most years IMO.

BidD is the ring leader of those opinions!!.. I bet Richlands would demolish Salem every year, right??

Just like every other rival, I belive the beavs could handle Salem, in most years. Then thay would say we cheated and stop playing us. JMO

WOW! You guys are really incredible!!! And NO Richlands would NOT "Demolish" Salem every year... Salem very rarely loses to ANY TEAM! I think some of you are so hung up on the "Beaver Tradition" you think you can play with anyone based on that alone.

[ QUOTE ]

so says the biased va people, who's opinions are so biased against wv football I rarely consider them legit in these types of matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but the WV fans are not biased whatsoever!

everyone is biased for their team or side, that's natural. But on the wv side we at least ackowledge the va teams that are formidable opponents, it's commonly many of the the va side fans who can't bring themselves to ever consider a wv program as an equal, much less stronger than...

"I think some of you are so hung up on the "Beaver Tradition" you think you can play with anyone based on that alone."

traditon is something to be proud of and enjoyed but doesn't earn victories in games, but the fact is the caliber of the stronger teams bluefield has every few years can or could compete with any va aa team in any of those respective seasons..... so it isn't the tradition it's the facts...

[ QUOTE ]

everyone is biased for their team or side, that's natural. But on the wv side we at least ackowledge the va teams that are formidable opponents, it's commonly many of the the va side fans who can't bring themselves to ever consider a wv program as an equal, much less stronger than...

[/ QUOTE ]

You might acknowlegde a good Va team, but not all of the WV fans do. Just as I respect Bluefield and what they have done. But, again not all of the Va fans have the same respect. So, I don't see any difference in the attitudes of the two states.

I don't mean to sound biased. Just realistic. It has nothing to do with which side of the state line you're on. Salem is a much larger school that draws talent from a much more densely populated area than Bluefield, Richlands, Graham and etc. They are very used to playing teams that are just as good or better than ours and they've won 46 of their last 50 games with a field goal being the average margin in the four defeats. They've also won two state championships in in that span.

"They are very used to playing teams that are just as good or better than ours and they've won 46 of their last 50 games with a field goal being the average margin in the four defeats. They've also won two state championships in in that span"

They have no competition.

[ QUOTE ]

"They are very used to playing teams that are just as good or better than ours and they've won 46 of their last 50 games with a field goal being the average margin in the four defeats. They've also won two state championships in in that span"

They have no competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amherst? Blacksburg? Pulaski? Hidden Valley? William Fleming?