I signed with Bluefield State to play baseball

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_165233535.html

Bluefield's Poletti chooses the Blues

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  Eric Poletti had his college choice narrowed down to two schools. The tough part was deciding on which one.

His decision became official on Thursday, as the Bluefield High School product committed to attend college and play baseball at Bluefield State.

The loser in the decision was West Virginia Tech. The winner was head coach Geoff Hunter and the Blues.

“I figured I’d rather just stay here at home because you can never go wrong at home and I’ll have more friends here,†Poletti said. “If I go to WVU-Tech, I’d have to start all over basically.

“I talked to coach Hunter a lot and he explained the program to me. I think both athletically and academically it’s going to be the best fit for me.â€Â

Poletti was integral part of an improved Bluefield baseball program that won three sectional titles in a row. The Beavers finished 11-9 this season, losing in the regional semifinals to Liberty.

“We didn’t make it up-state, but we still won three straight section championships and that’s something that Bluefield hasn’t done in baseball for a while,†Poletti said. “I feel that we had a good group of seniors.

“Bluefield baseball, you can tell it’s starting to change a little bit.â€Â

And, not just on the prep level. Even though Bluefield State finished 14-38 last season, the Blues were much-improved, rarely not in a game, and are stocked with young talent.

Poletti, who batted .425 with four home runs and 35 runs batted in last season, is excited about the future of the Bluefield State program.

“I saw them play a few times this year,†Poletti said. “I just like the whole aspect of it and I think I’ll have a good chance of getting some playing time maybe by my sophomore year.

“I might have to switch from catcher to outfield, but I think I’ll be OK.â€Â

A two-year starter at catcher for the Beavers, Poletti will play anywhere if it will get him on the field.

“(Coach Hunter) liked my bat the most, he said that was going to be a big plus for me,†Poletti said. “He didn’t know if I was going to be a catcher at the college level, but he thinks I’ll be good in the outfield.â€Â

While Poletti played football for a while at Bluefield, his dream was always to play college baseball. Hence, he gave up the gridiron, concentrated on baseball, and now his hopes have been realized.

“I just like the whole aspect of the game,†Poletti said. “I just enjoy it a whole lot and I hope I have a good career at Bluefield State.â€Â

He added: “I just hope I can say I enjoyed playing and hopefully I can help them to become a better baseball program and graduate with a degree in business marketing.â€Â

Known for a quick bat that allows him to pull the ball with regularity, Poletti will try to make the needed adjustments to get used to the caliber of ball that is played in the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

“I’ve been trying to adjust it and take the ball to the opposite field when it’s on the outside corner,†Poletti said.

His stepfather, Richard Kimberlin, doesn’t think that will be a problem.

“He hits the fastball well so he’ll be all right in college,†Kimberlin said.

College is a lot like starting over. All those high school statistics no longer matter. Poletti knows that going in.

“It’s probably going to be like starting over again, like where you start out as a freshmen in high school,†said Poletti, a gutty performer, who suffered a broken tooth and concussion during a practice session this season. “You’ve got to work your way up to gain playing time and get the respect of the upperclassmen.â€Â

“We’re proud of him,†Poletti’s mother, Pam Kimberlin, said. “He’s worked hard.â€Â

Poletti combined with classmates J.B. Dobbins, Ben Goss, Zach Sowder and Chance Cottrell to help turn the fortunes of the Beavers around.

“I’ll miss being with the seniors and even the underclassmen on the baseball team,†said Poletti, a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals and slugger Albert Pujols. “We were like family and I’m going to miss it a lot. We had some fun times playing baseball.â€Â

With a difficult decision finally made, Poletti hopes the fun will continue on the next level.

“It was a tough choice between WVU-Tech and Bluefield State,†said Poletti, who will major in business marketing. “I would probably have more free time up there to work and get better, but Bluefield State, in the end, it just seemed to be the best place for me.â€Â

Poletti isn’t the only former Beaver who will play college baseball. Dobbins will also be playing in the WVIAC at West Virginia Wesleyan. Poletti can’t wait to face his friend when he’s on the mound.

“Hopefully I’ll get to match up against Dobbins when he’s playing up at Wesleyan,†said Poletti, who added with a laugh, “maybe I can hit another home run off him like I did in senior league.â€Â

â€â€Contact Brian Woodson

at bwoodson@bdtonline.com

Congrats much to you. relish the opportunity, for the baseball you'll be fortunate enough to play some more, and the education. You have the right attitude, work hard, you have to earn real success. Good fortune...

God bless!

Congrats man, two beaver baseball players sign in the same year, not sure if that has ever happened before. You've earned all that you've got so far and I hope we can face off next year. Wesleyan versus BSC is gonna be a hot ticket now!

[ QUOTE ]

“Hopefully I’ll get to match up against Dobbins when he’s playing up at Wesleyan,†said Poletti, who added with a laugh, “maybe I can hit another home run off him like I did in senior league.â€Â

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey crash, do you need some aloe for that burn? haha

[ QUOTE ]

Congrats man, two beaver baseball players sign in the same year, not sure if that has ever happened before. You've earned all that you've got so far and I hope we can face off next year. Wesleyan versus BSC is gonna be a hot ticket now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats to you to man! u worked really hard for it 2! and i can't face for a face off between us! I'll be ready for that off-speed cuz you know i'll take the fast ball over the fence....;)

• 1 month later...

Your time as a moderator should have you well prepared for college.... j/k... Good luck!! Just start spending as much time hitting the books as you have posting on this board over the years and you should be on the deans list!!

Tully out!!

• 3 weeks later...

My brother in law was going to go straight to blufield state and play baseball, but decided to stay a lil closser and get is associates in Engineering at swvcc first then transfer to BSU and play baseball there... As of right now he is planning to play at swvcc. Good luck there man.

I went to WVU-Tech... good times... but those HS girls over in Smithers (Valley Fayette HS) will sure get you in trouble. the dads of those girls like to come stomping up into dorms ready to raise kane. hahahaha - good times......

but congrats on Bluefield State - that's where I ended up graduating from... see story above about dads stomping up into dorms..... hahahahaha - good times

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...