WV AA

MavsRock

It's about time for everyone to see where who they think will get the big trophy in Wheeling. this year. Here's a few teams I think should have a good shot.

1. James Monroe-OK I'm probably a little biased, but who isn't, I am being realistic. Team's looked good in summer practices, and an undefeated season has gotten to the point where that's not top priority. Key will be the play of the defense which has to improve from last year, way too many yards given up, especially on the ground. Maybe this'll be the year we get to go to the island.

2. Maybe the the biggest under-achiver in 2006. The Beavers has to replace Matthew Carter, Allen Carter, and J.T. Powell to name a few. All of these were major playmakers and leaders on the team. They've got the talent to contend with everyone they play, but they can't afford another slow start or late-season slump like they've had the last 2 years.

Wayne.-Hard to find a more consistant teams over the past decade than this one. Finally won the big game last year, rebuilding isn't usually a problem with ths team, in the playoffs since 1999, and 3 strait final 4 appearances.

Grafton-Returning a ton of talent from last year's semifinal team. They've been kind of quite the last few years, but after only losing to the eventual champs by 7, could be in major contention again.

5. Keyser-this was easily one of the top 4 defensive teams I watched last year, very experienced and hard nosed on this team. Almost everyone returning from that team, Barring injuries, should be a powerful force.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne.-Hard to find a more consistant teams over the past decade than this one. Finally won the big game last year, rebuilding isn't usually a problem with ths team, in the playoffs since 1999, and 3 strait final 4 appearances.

Are you kidding me? I don't know of any team in any class that has been mroe consistent than Bluefield. I am pretty sure that 4 championships in a row is pretty darn consistent.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? I don't know of any team in any class that has been mroe consistent than Bluefield. I am pretty sure that 4 championships in a row is pretty darn consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield's obviously had alot of success too, but they also missed the playoffs and had losing records in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Since 1997, with the exeption of last year, they've either went to went to Wheeling or didn't make the playoffs at all. They don't have anything to be ashamed of there, but it's pretty much been everything or nothing.

"Bluefield's obviously had alot of success too, but"

2nd round, '94, '06

semis, '96

they've been to the title game in '95, '97, '99, '02, '03, '04, '05,

and all with 1 of, if not most often, the hardest schedule in aa, and who would be surprised if they are contenders in the latter rounds or in the title game in '07, '08 or '09?

I'm not certain that the word "but" applies in that situation at all....

"They don't have anything to be ashamed of there,"

we'll do our best not to feel down about any short comings from now on.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluefield's obviously had alot of success too, but they also missed the playoffs and had losing records in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Since 1997, with the exeption of last year, they've either went to went to Wheeling or didn't make the playoffs at all. They don't have anything to be ashamed of there, but it's pretty much been everything or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is so darn funny about this statement is that it comes from a fan of a team that has never set foot on the island without purchasing a ticket first. Now that is just too funny.

LMAO

I think that looks pretty good MavsRock

I honestly think it will be easier to replace JT Powell then alot of people think. Matthew and Allen Carter. Theres no way possible to replace them and what they brought to the team on both offense and defense.

But i honestly think we'll be better than last year. I really do

[ QUOTE ]

And yall talk about Richlands fans being cocky. A man cant even post a preview without someone printing out a Blufield history lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone finally sees it...I was going to post it but decided against it. Its not that I think you were being cocky by what you posted...but some of your fellow beavers like to jump onto Richlands fans for the same sort of things.

Not at all being disrespectful, I simply can't figure any reason that after a team is in the title game 7 out of 13 seasons, and in the semis another, with their 13 years time in aa, that you could write, "you've had some success, but".

I simply don't consider that being arrogant either. Bluefield has earned that record with the hardest schedules in aa, and earned the respect those stats warrant.

[ QUOTE ]

Not at all being disrespectful, I simply can't figure any reason that after a team is in the title game 7 out of 13 seasons, and in the semis another, with their 13 years time in aa, that you could write, "you've had some success, but".

I simply don't consider that being arrogant either. Bluefield has earned that record with the hardest schedules in aa, and earned the respect those stats warrant.

[/ QUOTE ] Amen. its not about being cocky its about being full of pride and if someone wants to put down acomplishments as if there nothing then there is nothing wrong with defending your school as the right of any fan from any school

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Once Bluefield wins some 7 on 7 tournaments, then they'll have reason to brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Class, absolutely classic. Post of the year, well done lil' bro...;)

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt that just brilliant?since when does 7 on 7s have anything to do with the outcome of a season?this 7 on 7 stuff is overated.its not gonna hurt a team to participate in them "unless an injury happens"but i dont think it will define them either.i have mixed feelings about them.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Once Bluefield wins some 7 on 7 tournaments, then they'll have reason to brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Class, absolutely classic. Post of the year, well done lil' bro...;)

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt that just brilliant?since when does 7 on 7s have anything to do with the outcome of a season?this 7 on 7 stuff is overated.its not gonna hurt a team to participate in them "unless an injury happens"but i dont think it will define them either.i have mixed feelings about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

How dare you question the validity of a 7-on-7 and how it translates into success during an actual season!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are exactly right! I couldnt agree more. However, the Bluefield fans seem to have a problem if any other fans talks about their own teams past sucess, and how good they think there team will be the up comeing year. I dont mind at all if you brag about your team, and tell about how great they are...Thats your job as a fan. The hypocracy just eats me up...sorry for coming off as jumping onto you all for talking about Bluefield, because that wasnt my intention...I was just trying to make a point.

"Once Bluefield wins some 7 on 7 tournaments, then they'll have reason to brag"

HAHAHA, now, i dont care who ya are, that right there is funny!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, simply put a simple statement up that I thought Wayne's been pretty good for a while, 24 hours later that's gotten twisted around to me insulting Bluefield, and somehow brought up 7 on 7 tournaments?

They only thing that comes to mind is the guy's wife's reaction in the "spongebob no-pants" commercial,-"wow!"

If anyone ever wondered why me and so many others despise Bluefield most of time, just read the paragraphs above.

"You are exactly right! I couldnt agree more. However, the Bluefield fans seem to have a problem if any other fans talks about their own teams past sucess, and how good they think there team will be the up comeing year. I dont mind at all if you brag about your team, and tell about how great they are...Thats your job as a fan. The hypocracy just eats me up...sorry for coming off as jumping onto you all for talking about Bluefield, because that wasnt my intention...I was just trying to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]"

I really don't read much of anything from bluefield fans overall that indicates other teams shouldn't write about past success. As for richlands for example, the only argument I've had at all about their program in quite a while is that they shouldn't be boasting about success in '07 that they haven't had yet.

Most bluefield fans I read from are very proud of the accomplishments of our other bluefield team graham, but of course it's the rivalry it is so there's gonna be "talk" if you know what I'm suggesting. And overall we're proud of the swva football region, this really is 1 of the better football regions around in lots of ways.

I enjoy all area and region success, but simply not when they play against bluefield....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, simply put a simple statement up that I thought Wayne's been pretty good for a while, 24 hours later that's gotten twisted around to me insulting Bluefield, and somehow brought up 7 on 7 tournaments?

They only thing that comes to mind is the guy's wife's reaction in the "spongebob no-pants" commercial,-"wow!"

If anyone ever wondered why me and so many others despise Bluefield most of time, just read the paragraphs above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually mavs, it seems the others, and myself, were simply arguing your statement that there isn't a more consistent team than wayne in the last decade. It's nothing personal, and my guess is you certainly weren't intending anything personal about bluefield either, but you were wrong, simple as that.

not to mention the 7 and 7 comments are obviously sarcasm.

edited to write I'd agree that wayne has been good for a while to.

Last 10 years for Wayne:

2006- 12-2, State Champion

2005- 12-1, State Semifinalist

2004- 13-1, State Runner-up

2003- 8-4, State Quarterfinalist

2002- 10-3, State Semifinalist

2001- 9-1, First Round

2000- 13-1, State Runner-up

1999- 7-4, First Round

That's 8 years and 2 trips less to Wheeling than Bluefield (99, 02, 03, 04, 05).

Bluefield had off teams in '00 and '01. Wayne didn't make the playoffs in 98, and went 0-10 in 97. So if you want to be totally honest, Bluefield has been more consistant over the past 10 years...but if you only want to go 8, Wayne's been more CONSISTANT, simply because 2 of those Bluefield teams didn't make the playoffs and 5 of those Wayne teams made at least the semifinals while all reached the playoffs.

It's nothing worth arguing about. Bluefield and Wayne have been the 2 best in AA over an extended period of the last 10 years. There have been flashes, but those two programs have been the most consistant, and Bluefield has won both meetings in that span.

Mavs, i thought you despised us Bluefield folk b/c our team continually breaks your hearts when it matters? Aw, i cant blame ya none for hatin us, i can kinda understand disliking what you know you can never be (and i dont mean a winner, this time, i mean a Beaver) hahaha

[ QUOTE ]

Last 10 years for Wayne:

2006- 12-2, State Champion

2005- 12-1, State Semifinalist

2004- 13-1, State Runner-up

2003- 8-4, State Quarterfinalist

2002- 10-3, State Semifinalist

2001- 9-1, First Round

2000- 13-1, State Runner-up

1999- 7-4, First Round

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone asked what Wayne's rating would be under my formula...based on the above records/playoffs...13.67...

[ QUOTE ]

"You are exactly right! I couldnt agree more. However, the Bluefield fans seem to have a problem if any other fans talks about their own teams past sucess, and how good they think there team will be the up comeing year. I dont mind at all if you brag about your team, and tell about how great they are...Thats your job as a fan. The hypocracy just eats me up...sorry for coming off as jumping onto you all for talking about Bluefield, because that wasnt my intention...I was just trying to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]"

I really don't read much of anything from bluefield fans overall that indicates other teams shouldn't write about past success. As for richlands for example, the only argument I've had at all about their program in quite a while is that they shouldn't be boasting about success in '07 that they haven't had yet.

Most bluefield fans I read from are very proud of the accomplishments of our other bluefield team graham, but of course it's the rivalry it is so there's gonna be "talk" if you know what I'm suggesting. And overall we're proud of the swva football region, this really is 1 of the better football regions around in lots of ways.

I enjoy all area and region success, but simply not when they play against bluefield....

[/ QUOTE ]

I see somebody's got some sense, if anyone took offense to what I said, well, they can get over it. If you're on a "top 5" list, that's usually a good thing. I do agree with what you're saying buzzsaw, obviously if Bluefield didn't have success, they wouldn't have gotten mentioned. I don't like the team, but I don't tell many lies either.

I'm done talking about this for a while, it's too early in the year for this. Long season coming, there's alot that can happen between now and November that could change who the top teams are, hopefully not James Monroe though.