Richlands over Gate City

parsons

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think richlands will have a good chance against Bluefield and Graham because they are playing at home and they have that new turf and will be used to it by then. I know they all have played on grass before but the advantage goes to Richlands.

[ QUOTE ]

I think richlands will have a good chance against Bluefield and Graham because they are playing at home and they have that new turf and will be used to it by then. I know they all have played on grass before but the advantage goes to Richlands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham and Bluefield both still practice on grass everyday...

[ QUOTE ]

You know what they say when you make an assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't assume anything, I only clarified that even though Graham and Bluefield play their games on turf now, they still practice on grass...playing their games on turf will have no bearing on the games vs. Richlands.

I believe the crowd often times feeds off the band and the band friday night was terrible. From the time they got into the stadium through entire game including half-time. How many times did they play anything? Third qtr. you may as well not even consider them playing I guess they needed a hotdog and drink after that hideous half-time show. The half-time show should help get the crowd ready for the all important second half.....wow nothing gets me fired up like twinkle twinkle little star....come on band people help out the big blue. Maybe someone should attend a college game and watch how a band supports the team by keeping the crowd involved.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You know what they say when you make an assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't assume anything, I only clarified that even though Graham and Bluefield play their games on turf now, they still practice on grass...playing their games on turf will have no bearing on the games vs. Richlands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was saying he made an assumption that BHS and GHS both practice on Fieldturf and he was wrong...not you G-man. Everyone knows you are never wrong. LOL

the bands is there to assist in getting the many to be vocal. When they play it causes a chain reaction throughout the crowd.....I'm not trying to place all the blame on the band, however they need to be more involved than they have been in the past. Especially like Friday night.

What I'm saying as a fan who gets so vocal on the sidelines sometimes I look foolish, there was no goal line stands and knowing this defense and how good it is, didn't really feel threadened. The band doesn't have a effect on that. But trust me, this Cloud will be hanging around those sidelines and like many others the Thundering is just waiting to happen.

Couldn't talk for couple of days after Rockbrige and '92 Salem game.

many fans sit on their hands quite often and the band helps for those fans that need a little extra encouragement. believe me, I don't need the band myself but I have seen how bands can effect a crowd in college stadiums for example. It just feels good to hear those drums........doesn't it?

I agree it has been many years since the band has been intense in by opinion. One year not so long ago while we were playing Graham at Mitchell....The Graham band flat out played the supposedly best band in southwest virginia. If not the state. During the entire game. Their band never sat down the entire game. It was great to see all the school spirit from the band. There might be a game this year that we need that same kind of band spirit, I hope they have their legs under them by then.

I agree with the_general. The band needs to step it up. Just like the_general said, I dont need the band to fire me up but some people do need it. I guess alot of the fans have become spoiled by the offense scoring 45 to 50 pts a game.

I guess in the bands defense, the band has to be DIRECTED to play. So I would suggest that someone talk to Mr Schwartz about band participation during games. Even if it was just the drum line playing, that would be better then nothing.

Listen here buddy. The football team didnt look so hot Friday night either. Just because we had a bad night dosnt mean anything. And once this show is done it will be the best we have ever had. It has the potential. Just wait and see. As for playing in the stands, anyone who knows me knows that I am the most spirited person in the band. I havnt sat down at a game all 5 years ive been in marching band. I've talked to Mr. Swartz. It is week one. We lost all the drummers from last year except 3. They need time. Just like the o-line. Things will come around. We know more songs. It just takes time for the new people to learn them. Remember, we have only been in school for 2 days. Its kinda hard to learn that many songs in that amount of time. So before you start bashing us just wait until we come back for Abingdon.

don't you guys play during the summer prior to school...... like band camp? I hope the half-time show does get better because right now it is the worse half-time show the band has been performed. maybe a little "thunderstuck" while in the stands would be great. Oh, are all the drummers new to the band?

[ QUOTE ]

don't you guys play during the summer prior to school...... like band camp? I hope the half-time show does get better because right now it is the worse half-time show the band has been performed. maybe a little "thunderstuck" while in the stands would be great. Oh, are all the drummers new to the band?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to criticize a group of high school students, like they haven’t been busting their butts for the past few weeks trying to learn this music and all of the sets. I’m sure you could do a lot better. You try memorizing three of four songs plus 80-100+ positions on the field. And on top of that do it at the same time. Also, band camp isn’t used for learning stands music; it is used for learning the 100+ sets of drill. Like Ryan said, they have had two days to practice their stands music.

I don’t think coming on a public forum and putting down a group of young people is very responsible thing to do, If you really have a problem about the band then call the school and talk to Mr. Swartz, he has a phone in his office, and I’m sure he will speak with you. So give them a break, unless you think you could do a better job then go talk to Mr. Swartz and ask if you could volunteer and help out...I’m sure they could use an extra hand. Since you are so concerned.

not critizing the kids......I have plenty of them at home myself.....would never put down a kid. I'm very active in the youth sports so I realize who pulls the strings. You just automatically assumed I was pointing my finger at the kids...WRONG. Try again. By the way, I can't carry a tune in bucket. And again you assumed I was critizing the playing....WRONG again. I was critizing the material. Fans like songs and music that gets their blood flowing.

Reread Alum's post. They have only had a couple of day's to prepare stand music. As for the Half-time show you clearly are talking about somthing you know nothing about.

Swartz and Miller have produce 9 honor bands, I think they know what a good half-time show is.