Richlands over Gate City

parsons

that was one ugly game. Richlands looked like world beaters on defense, but was ragged on offense. Dropped a couple of td passes that were perfectly thrown....had another td called back (interception return by Fuller).....the Blues have a few things to work on before they face the meat of the schedule....have to give G.C. credit for a great effort tonight

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught my first game @ Richlands tonight (my first visit there ever...), and I figured I'd get on here and run my jaw...

First post was dead on accurate. Defensively, Richlands just steadily beats you up and contains you. The rush defense was excellent, I'd be suprised if GC had over 75 yards rushing. Pass defense, I'd give a B+. The interior line didn't have a great rush, but the Ends/LBs were in the backfield all game. The secondary is spectacular; hard hitters, very good coverage, good tackling.

Offensively, a bit of an identity crisis, which seems to have split the reps. The sync that I seen them have last year was missing tonight. They have replaced Jennings with about 3 RBs, all of which seem to have good speed and a couple moves, but the tough, tackle-breaking ability is missing and it hurts. The WRs had a couple of big drops, but there were just as many over throws as well. With teams keying on Fuller so much, the home run threat isn't as high as last years offense, but with each game, I think they'll hit there groove.

Gate City, on the other hand, simply seemed to be out-manned at the skill positions. A couple of their backs looked good, but the only real threat they have is #12 (he started @ QB, then played WR late in the game). They did a good job of containing Richlands offense, but there offense didn't threaten all night. There playbook seemed very short (they run the read option out of the Shotgun, like Richlands, and all passes were done with the QB rolling out of the pocket, most likely due to his height), maybe 6 plays or so it felt like. Regardless, I think their lack of success was more due to Richlands ability than Gate City's lack of.

All in all, nice night of football. Very competitive. Good job Blues.

GC might have been outmanned, but they hit Richlands right in the mouth. If you told me we would've lost 17-0 before I left Kingsport tonight I would've taken it. I'm very proud of the effort. GC earned alot of respect back tonight that they lost last year. Keep in mind GC played a ton of freshmen and sophomores tonight. Once again, very proud of the boys. They weren't intimidated one bit.

Somebody told me GC was projected 3rd in their district. After tonight, I'd say they very well could beat anyone they have left. I had no idea about the youth of the team, but I can say you are correct, they never backed down or gave up. Outside of Graham, probably the most physical game they'll until the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

Caught my first game @ Richlands tonight (my first visit there ever...), and I figured I'd get on here and run my jaw...

First post was dead on accurate. Defensively, Richlands just steadily beats you up and contains you. The rush defense was excellent, I'd be suprised if GC had over 75 yards rushing. Pass defense, I'd give a B+. The interior line didn't have a great rush, but the Ends/LBs were in the backfield all game. The secondary is spectacular; hard hitters, very good coverage, good tackling.

Offensively, a bit of an identity crisis, which seems to have split the reps. The sync that I seen them have last year was missing tonight. They have replaced Jennings with about 3 RBs, all of which seem to have good speed and a couple moves, but the tough, tackle-breaking ability is missing and it hurts. The WRs had a couple of big drops, but there were just as many over throws as well. With teams keying on Fuller so much, the home run threat isn't as high as last years offense, but with each game, I think they'll hit there groove.

Gate City, on the other hand, simply seemed to be out-manned at the skill positions. A couple of their backs looked good, but the only real threat they have is #12 (he started @ QB, then played WR late in the game). They did a good job of containing Richlands offense, but there offense didn't threaten all night. There playbook seemed very short (they run the read option out of the Shotgun, like Richlands, and all passes were done with the QB rolling out of the pocket, most likely due to his height), maybe 6 plays or so it felt like. Regardless, I think their lack of success was more due to Richlands ability than Gate City's lack of.

All in all, nice night of football. Very competitive. Good job Blues.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very good assessment of the game. Richlands struggled at times on offense, mainly on the line, and also too many dropped balls and way too many penalties. But that sort of stuff is to be expected in the first game. I really think our offense was better with Elswick at QB. Im not sure if Austin just had an off night, or if GC deffense just had him figured out that much. But he wasnt able to make the big plays like he did last year. I think they will still try him at QB, but if the next few games go like tonight then I could see Elswick starting at QB by the end of the season. And that would be great, because we all know what Austin can do at WR. The running game was there, but just not up to par with what we are used to. The blue devils did a good job in the trenches on defense. Over all I think the Blues will be fine this season, they just need to work out a few kinks in the offense.

Im was dissapointed with the crowd tonight (including myself). It was packed but the crowd was just so quiet. Im not sure what the problem was but I couldnt even get that excited about the game. Im not sure if it was because no one else was into it or if it was becasue I was so worried about our offense. But any way Im sure the Big Blue fans will get into shape as the season heats up.

One more thing...The new lights are amazing. I had no idea how bad the olds ones were until tonight. I really didnt think the lights would make that big of a difference , but they did.

I'm an idiot for being proud of my alma mater? That's interesting.

The lighting was very good. The concession stand on the visitors side also helped tremendously. Not sure if this is the first year for that or if we had just never found it before..lol.

I'm not sure how many years are left in this series, or if they're gonna continue playing each other every year. Richlands crowd was large, but not very vocal. The GC crowd wasn't as large as I expected, but they did what they could.

Good luck to Richlands the rest of the way. I'm glad we have you guys behind us now and we both came away mostly healthy (with the exception of cramps).

You got to realize this is Austin's first year at QB. Joel got to play JV all last year and a little varsity. Fuller just came in last year when we had a big lead and we never threw the ball then. And the reason the crowd was so quiet is because the probably expected a lot better from Richlands and they're so used to 60 point games. But it was first game, and this is a totally different team than last year.

[ QUOTE ]

i just hope we beat Honaker

Joel looked pretty good at QB

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT a "lame" statement....hope we beat Honaker!!!!

The defense was OUTSTANDING last night. Not taking anything away from Elswick, but, Fuller was leading rusher, ran for a TD, threw a TD, not earth shattering, but he did his part in his FIRST game as a "true" QB.

GIVE ME (them) a break....let everyone grow into their roles...Mance knows what he's doing....if it's not working, he'll decide.

I think the fans at the game should be more about vocally cheering the team ....instead of looking for spectacular plays every game.

"Different year, different team, but, still a desire to win"....it's only one game folks....and WE WON.

It's gonna take a helluva team to put many points on Richlands. The times we DID have time to throw our receivers were covered. I feel 10 times better this mornin then I did before last night.

Thanks for the compliments and well wishes Cola. Both teams were layin the wood. Good luck to you guys and safe travels.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i just hope we beat Honaker

Joel looked pretty good at QB

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT a "lame" statement....hope we beat Honaker!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a "lame" statement. That is what we should be woried about right now. We shouldnt be worried about how Bluefield is going to "end it for us", Honaker is the next team that we play, so we should just be focused on beating them. And I agree with what you said about Austin coming into his role as QB. However, I did like what I saw from Joel, and we already know what Austin can do at WR, so I dont think that is such a bad idea either. Joel had a good touch on his passes, and he seemed very accurate on the long passes. Austin seemes to float his short passes to much and that gave the defense too much time to recognize the reciever and hit him as soon as the ball got there. But like you said, it was the first game and all of those things can be worked on. But over all I saw alot of bright spots in our offense, it just all needs to come together here in te next couple of weeks.

Maybe I took the way it was stated "hope we can beat Honaker" in a different context. My take on it was "not sure if we can" with no other statement than he/she made.

Now do we really know if we can beat Honaker....NO, but we have to BELIEVE we can....and OUR fans sure need to convey that kind of a message to our players. Nuff said.

Richlands was definately the better team, but they aren't the team of the last few years either. GC looked good on D, but if the offense doesn't get clicking it could be tough.

I had heard totally the opposite about the Devils (haven't been to a scrimmage or practice this year). The middle was open all night for a dump pass or back releasing out. Richlands staff must have known GC would "never" try that because they had everyone in the box and GC never did try it. Maybe they got "lucky", i just wouldn't try that against better offensive teams.

Loved the way GC swarmed to the ball on D, and they hit hard too.

Would have liked to see GC try to make a couple of field goals also when it was still 7-0. Byrd has the range from there.

#11 from Richlands is tough, nice size and strength. Fuller looked a step slow and indecisive last night. He may be better as a reciever.

GC will probably not play a defense as good the rest of the way, and the offense may get better. It will have to! I'm not a big fan of the shotgun as a fulltime offense personally. Parks (if healthy) will have a good year. I didn't expect much tonight, because he has never done anything against Richlands in his career. 8 in the box makes it hard to run period.

One final thing, is GC's kicking game was really good. Dustin Jones boomed a couple of punts. Overall i give the Devils a B-, mostly because the total lack of anything on offense. Maybe mostly the result of the D the blues played, maybe the inability to recognize what was open. Time will only tell!

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.

I was talking to BigD last night after the game before i went home and i agree 100% with what he said. The fans came out expecting 50+ points and when we didnt score on the first drive they were shell shocked completly. Also the cheerleader coach must not have liked the idea of letting the cheer leaders get the crowd into the game. I tried. But i cant do much with a band that dosn't care for the most part. I look for it to get alot better at Honaker.

so Richlands fans are you all nervous about the season? do u all have what it tkaes to repeat? do u think u all will go undefeated...honest questions not tryin to be funny or nothing just want you alls point of view