Richlands over Gate City

parsons

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, bigbluealum i have a couple of kids participating in the band....so i wasn't criticizing the kids. I think they do a great job of playing what they play. The band (or Mr. Schwartz) needs to be more involved in the tempo of the game and play accordingly. Its obvious you guys didn't get my point. I realize the band has several accolades to its credit, however that doesn't help get the crowd fired up every friday night.

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, bigbluealum i have a couple of kids participating in the band....so i wasn't criticizing the kids. I think they do a great job of playing what they play. The band (or Mr. Schwartz) needs to be more involved in the tempo of the game and play accordingly. Its obvious you guys didn't get my point. I realize the band has several accolades to its credit, however that doesn't help get the crowd fired up every friday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now get your point. However, you didnt make it that clear to begin with. With comments like "I hope the half-time show does get better because right now it is the worse half-time show the band has been performed." and " ...the band friday night was terrible. From the time they got into the stadium through entire game including half-time." made it sound as if you were talking about the students. I did read you posts very carefully and that is what I got from them. Sorry for misunderstanding you, but you might want to re-word some of you posts if you arent trying to direct them towards the students. Again, I say if you have a problem with the band it would be more effective to call the middle school and ask for the band room and talk to Mr. Swartz. We nor the students have any control over when or what they play. If you dont like the halftime show then its alittle late for that because there is no changing it now. But I assure you by the third game the show will be 100 times better, the show they played on Friday was only the first song and there will be a lot more effects and more "exciting" music in the rest of the show that will "get the crowd ready" for the second half. And in the next few weeks the band will learn more stands music.

[ QUOTE ]

Also the cheerleader coach must not have liked the idea of letting the cheer leaders get the crowd into the game. I tried. But i cant do much with a band that dosn't care for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

that pretty much sums it up......a quote by a band member himself....thanks ryan4vt

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Also the cheerleader coach must not have liked the idea of letting the cheer leaders get the crowd into the game. I tried. But i cant do much with a band that dosn't care for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

that pretty much sums it up......a quote by a band member himself....thanks ryan4vt

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt about wheather or not the band cares. You can't make the band members care about the football game. They are their to do their job. Some of them do their job and enjoy a great game at the sametime, but some couldn't careless about the game, they are only there because they have a love for music or for being a member of the band. But that shouldnt be their fault just because they dont care about football, at least they're involved in their school, and do a very good job representing their school. They just dont need to come on here and read grown men saying their show is horrible. Now I know nothing about cheerleading so I will not comment about them.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isnt about wheather or not the band cares. You can't make the band members care about the football game. They are their to do their job. Some of them do their job and enjoy a great game at the sametime, but some couldn't careless about the game, they are only there because they have a love for music or for being a member of the band. But that shouldnt be their fault just because they dont care about football, at least they're involved in their school, and do a very good job representing their school. They just dont need to come on here and read grown men saying their show is horrible. Now I know nothing about cheerleading so I will not comment about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem to be a problem for folks to come on this board and talk about the football team's performance why can't we talk about the band's performance? At the beginning of this particular forum everyone talked about how bad the offense looked....that's 11 student athletes out there working their butts off. I guess it is okay to criticize the football team....just not the band.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess it is okay to criticize the football team....just not the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I thought you weren't criticizing the band? BTW, whats the name of this site? Oh yeah swvaFOOTBALL.com, maybe that is why we discuss the teams perofrmance. Hey, GMAN can you make a swvaMARCHINGBAND.com so this guy can have place to talk about how crappy all the bands are around here? Im done, you obviously are to hard headed to admit you may have been worng in your wording. I already apologized for misreading your original post, but you insist on continuing this. So I will end it on my part.

other people brought up the subject of how bad the crowd and cheerleaders performed friday night, not me.....I just responded by saying i think the band could help out by playing more and different types of songs, there were probably others in the stadium friday puzzled by the half-time show and would probably agree that twinkle twinkle little star doesn't get the crowd to motivated. you guys got me all wrong.

I don't think the band and cheerleaders had that much to do with the crowd. As a poster said earlier, I think they were just used to 50-60 point games and they didn't expect a 7-0 game at the half. Everybody thought they'd roll over GC, including alot of GC folks. We went through the same thing a couple years ago. When you're whipping everybody you get used to it. Then when things change, you're not so sure how to handle it. I'm sure the Richlands faithful will be lively again very soon. Too much tradition there. I hope we keep them on the schedule for many years to come.

I agree GC_Quincy. Many in the crowd expected Richlands to march down the field and score on their first possession and were stunned when that didn't happen. This game was more or less what myself and most others who follow the team closely expected, but for many fans who became spoiled by last season's high powered offense it was a shock.

As for the band, cheerleaders, etc., no blame whatsoever can be placed on the students. I feel the cheerleaders should be allowed by their coach to serve in the capacity of "CHEER-LEADERS" but I don't think it's going to happen. The band... I think they (the band directors) need to learn to separate the football games from the band competitions they compete in. At the games nobody cares (or will even notice) if they aren't perfect. They need to just let them play and have fun without worrying about someone missing a note or being out of step or whatever. Ultimately though, the blame for the band and/or cheerleaders being toned down lies with a few people who run to the principal whenever the decibel level rises above what they are accustomed to in their living rooms. The only way that will change is for the fans who want the kind of atmosphere that Gate City has to stand up and yell regardless of the dirty looks and complaints. The majority want to get loud on defense, want the cheerleaders to lead them in chants, and want the band to play non-stop. The ones who are preventing these things should stay home and listen to the radio in the quiet comfort of their own homes. Just my opinion...

[ QUOTE ]

I agree GC_Quincy. Many in the crowd expected Richlands to march down the field and score on their first possession and were stunned when that didn't happen. This game was more or less what myself and most others who follow the team closely expected, but for many fans who became spoiled by last season's high powered offense it was a shock.

As for the band, cheerleaders, etc., no blame whatsoever can be placed on the students. I feel the cheerleaders should be allowed by their coach to serve in the capacity of "CHEER-LEADERS" but I don't think it's going to happen. The band... I think they (the band directors) need to learn to separate the football games from the band competitions they compete in. At the games nobody cares (or will even notice) if they aren't perfect. They need to just let them play and have fun without worrying about someone missing a note or being out of step or whatever. Ultimately though, the blame for the band and/or cheerleaders being toned down lies with a few people who run to the principal whenever the decibel level rises above what they are accustomed to in their living rooms. The only way that will change is for the fans who want the kind of atmosphere that Gate City has to stand up and yell regardless of the dirty looks and complaints. The majority want to get loud on defense, want the cheerleaders to lead them in chants, and want the band to play non-stop. The ones who are preventing these things should stay home and listen to the radio in the quiet comfort of their own homes. Just my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Big D...I'm behind you 100%.

Hats off to GC fans,they supported thier team non-stop. They were louder than Richlands fans.I loved how about 90% or better had on the same shirt.

The kids cant make the decisions of what songs to play or what cheers to cheer any more than the football players can say, ok we don't care what play the coach wants ...we want this one.

I know for a fact the cheerleaders want to lead the crowd in chants and I would bet my last dollar that the kids in the band would love to play some more upbeat music at times!

As for the fans who want to keep the noise level down...stay home!