bluefield/mt.view goin 2 rounds this year??

twopac

i just spoke to one of blfd's JV players and he told me they were in conversation with mt. view about possibly adding each other for a 2nd game on sept. 14 to give both teams 10 games..anyone know if this is true?

[ QUOTE ]

no. we're not playing mt. view twice. i think he meant the second game as a JV game.

[/ QUOTE ]i'll ask coach simon on monday, and the player who told me he said it was on one of our open dates, sept. 14, and they dont play JV games on friday nights, so i guess we'll see in a few days..the way mt. view's team is this year i dont think they'll want blfd twice anyway

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

no. we're not playing mt. view twice. i think he meant the second game as a JV game.

[/ QUOTE ]i'll ask coach simon on monday, and the player who told me he said it was on one of our open dates, sept. 14, and they dont play JV games on friday nights, so i guess we'll see in a few days..the way mt. view's team is this year i dont think they'll want blfd twice anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing a second game against MV would hurt Bluefield playoff points wise, even if they defeat them twice, b/c MV is going to struggle to win games.

Guest JJBrickface

Is our athletic director incapable of scheduling 10 games for football season?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

no one will play us. its just that simple. I know they work really hard to get teams to play us. 9 games is an accomplishment...

[ QUOTE ]

no one will play us. its just that simple. I know they work really hard to get teams to play us. 9 games is an accomplishment...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to find a willing opponent with a common open date. There are teams willing to schedule Bluefield, but they don't share a common open date. It's a pain in the behind I'm sure for the coaching staff...

i find it very hard to believe that simon cant find teams that wouldnt want to come play on that beutiful field.regardless of who they have to play. i bet he could find a truck load of schools that would love to have a shot at the beavers.

[ QUOTE ]

Is our athletic director incapable of scheduling 10 games for football season?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a problem with a shrinking state. There are less and less schools to schedule. So many consolidations doesn't help matters at all.

I know a few years back, they scheduled that private school from over in Pikeville, KY. I don't think they want to do that again, as that school was loaded with talent. I heard that they recruit heavily, which many private schools do, I think, even though it's technically not legal to do so.

It's sort of a shock to the system. Within 10 miles of where I live (metro Atlanta), there are 6 high schools. The 9-12 enrollments are:

(Fulton County)

1785 (Alpharetta High)

2089 (Centennial High)

2061 (Chattahoochee High)

2383 (Roswell High)

1744 (North Springs High)

(Gwinnett County)

2736 (Norcross High)

Just outside that 10 mile range, more like 15 miles, are Duluth HS (Gwinnett County) and Sprayberry HS (Cobb County). They're 2015 and 1911 respectively.

So...within 15 miles of me, I have 8 high schools, with a total enrollment of 16,729 students. Sort of shocks me, when I put it in those terms, and compare to where I was raised.

Guest JJBrickface

Is there a rule as to when they can schedule games for future seasons? If not then they could schedule teams in advance and it would solve the problem.

[ QUOTE ]

i find it very hard to believe that simon cant find teams that wouldnt want to come play on that beutiful field.regardless of who they have to play. i bet he could find a truck load of schools that would love to have a shot at the beavers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it...its true. The only teams that are willing to play Bluefield are already on their schedule. VERY FEW WV teams want to play Bluefield. You also have to consider the fact that most of the WV AA and AAA schools are in "conferences", somewhat like VA districts except they have no bearing on the playoffs, which allows them to make scheduling easier but also limits the number of "non-conference" games they can play. Most of those teams would rather not play Bluefield as a "non-conference" game. Also, even though there is a "Coalfield Conference" in Southern WV, it is not recoginized in football. And if the schools in Southern WV were to create a "football conference", odds are, they will likely attempt to exclude Bluefield, James Monroe, and Mount View from being part of it.

Hey B-Hokie....I'm in the N.Gwinnett H.S. area now....used to live in Collins Hill H.S. area. The almost new Mill Creek H.S. at Hamilton Mill, if, I remember correctly, will have over 4000 this year. (Sorry, I'm getting away from the original thread theme)

Yes, it is astounding what we have around us....but, OUR HOME area doesn't have ALL the traffic we endure every day.

I'm so GLAD I grew up in a rural area where simplicity is still to be desired and cherished, even,among us who have been surrounded by so much. Not trying to wax poetic....but all in the VA/WVA area of this board, appreciate the beauty you have and where you live.

OH yeah.....GO Tornado...the reason I'm on this board.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey B-Hokie....I'm in the N.Gwinnett H.S. area now....used to live in Collins Hill H.S. area. The almost new Mill Creek H.S. at Hamilton Mill, if, I remember correctly, will have over 4000 this year. (Sorry, I'm getting away from the original thread theme)

Yes, it is astounding what we have around us....but, OUR HOME area doesn't have ALL the traffic we endure every day.

I'm so GLAD I grew up in a rural area where simplicity is still to be desired and cherished, even,among us who have been surrounded by so much. Not trying to wax poetic....but all in the VA/WVA area of this board, appreciate the beauty you have and where you live.

OH yeah.....GO Tornado...the reason I'm on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough balance. I have so much respect for where I grew up, but at the same time, a lot of sadness for the lack of work to keep people there. Every time I go home, I see more things closing, whereas here, I see new things popping up all the time. The job and tax situation just doesn't bode well for the SW Virginia/Southern WV area, although the Virginia side comes out a little better.

Population-wise, I have to remember that at a touch over 5 million, metro Atlanta is bigger than all of WV, and is not much smaller than the whole state of Virginia. I live in Roswell, which has a little more of a "small town" feel (relatively speaking), but the population, at 90,000, is about the same as Roanoke VA. Sandy Springs is 90,000. Marietta is 60,000+.

The one thing I don't prefer about here is indeed the TRAFFIC. I am so tired of it. On a good day, I can get home from work in 35-40 minutes, and that's about 20 miles.

you are correct in that the coalfield conference does not make it's teams play the other teams in that conference, it is probably the only conference in america that you don't have to play the people in your conference

THE BOTTOM LINE IS SHADY, OAKHILL, MT VIEW, AND JAMES MONROE ARE THE ONLY ONES WITH GUTS ENOUGH TO PLAY US, SCOTT STEPPED UP FOR A TWO GAME SERIES BUT THE REST OF THE SOUTHERN AA TEAMS DONT HAVE THE NADS!

[ QUOTE ]

I know a few years back, they scheduled that private school from over in Pikeville, KY. I don't think they want to do that again, as that school was loaded with talent. I heard that they recruit heavily, which many private schools do, I think, even though it's technically not legal to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, the legality of recruiting depends on whose rules you're following. In WV, KY, NC or TN, private schools compete with publics in football, so it's a no-no (see Brentwood). In Va., privates don't follow VHSL rules.

Now, my question is - what school are you talking about? I'm not aware of a private school (big enough to have a football team) in Pike County, let alone Pikeville.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, the legality of recruiting depends on whose rules you're following. In WV, KY, NC or TN, private schools compete with publics in football, so it's a no-no (see Brentwood). In Va., privates don't follow VHSL rules.

Now, my question is - what school are you talking about? I'm not aware of a private school (big enough to have a football team) in Pike County, let alone Pikeville.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's been a few years, so I don't rememeber specifics, but from a quick search, it appears that the Pikeville schools are an independent district, controlled by the city of Pikeville. I can't remember if that is what the deal was, or if it was something else. Whatever it was, there were apparently a lot better than they let on.

I know that up in Paintsville, there is, or was, a private school. I think the public school is Johnson County, and there was a private school on downtown Paintsville.

Maybe someone can remember more about this...

you are correct in that the coalfield conference does not make it's teams play the other teams in that conference, it is probably the only conference in america that you don't have to play the people in your conference

---------------------------------------------------------

The Little Kanawha Conference is the same way in WV Class A.

The AA Teams in the LKC must play each other, but not the Class A teams.

this is sad to say about these conferences, what good is a conference if it doesn't help you in getting games, i feel that the conference should make its team play each other in all sports not just football. the coalfield conference could be a great conference for southern teams in this state if it was done right. 2 divisions for football(east or west or north and south)have a championship game and run it like other conferences and it could be the premier conference for aa sports in the state

I was over there yesterday and it hit me as I was driving by the school - Pikeville is a CITY school (so is Paintsville), seperate from the county school system. We have a few too - Va. High is a Bristol city school (not Washington Co.), JI Burton is a Norton city (not a Wise Co.) school and Martinsville isn't a Henry Co. school.

[ QUOTE ]

I was over there yesterday and it hit me as I was driving by the school - Pikeville is a CITY school (so is Paintsville), seperate from the county school system. We have a few too - Va. High is a Bristol city school (not Washington Co.), JI Burton is a Norton city (not a Wise Co.) school and Martinsville isn't a Henry Co. school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that's true, but they are still private, and they still recruit.And I am pretty sure they don't play for state championships with public schools.

Pikeville is not a private school. They compete in Class A, District 7. The program was loaded in the late 80's with a tremendous run of talent. Belfry is now the power in Pike County, but P-ville is still a contender in Class A.

As for private schools in Eastern Kentucky, there aren't any that play football. The eastern-most private schools in the KHSAA that play football are Lexington Catholic and Lexington Christian.