VT-UNC

Blues_56

Virginia Tech pulls it out in Blacksburgh, Tyrod Taylor has a good game and fought through a groin injury, when he did a better split than the cheerleaders can do when he lost his balance takin a 3 step drop i nthe pocket. BUt UNC played a pretty good 4th quarter, and scored with 5 mins to go to make it 17-10 and that would be the final in Blacksburgh, if VT doesnt get the offense scoring a little more they will get slaughtered against the likes of Clemson,BC, and even FSU.

Comments/Opinions??

Carolina handed the game away in the second half more than Tech won it. The fumble into the endzone by Houston and then the tipped INT by Adibi to setup the final Tech score were huge mistakes. The young, scrappy Heels may have lost on the scoreboard, but won in other ways today. There will be bright days ahead for the Carolina program. And as much as the Heels are rising I'm not so sure if VT isn't starting to really fall off like WVU in Nehlen's final years in Morgantown. Another trip to a "Death Valley" will not be pretty for the Hokies and their horribly dreadful offense. The defense cannot save you every week, especially when their on the field so much...

[ QUOTE ]

Carolina handed the game away in the second half more than Tech won it. The fumble into the endzone by Houston and then the tipped INT by Adibi to setup the final Tech score were huge mistakes. The young, scrappy Heels may have lost on the scoreboard, but won in other ways today. There will be bright days ahead for the Carolina program. And as much as the Heels are rising I'm not so sure if VT isn't starting to really fall off like WVU in Nehlen's final years in Morgantown. Another trip to a "Death Valley" will not be pretty for the Hokies and their horribly dreadful offense. The defense cannot save you every week, especially when their on the field so much...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's put really well. I'm tired of making excuses as to why we didn't beat a bad team by more. Today, our offense just sucked, no ifs, ands, or buts. There is no reason to not always get in the endzone when we're in the red zone. It's going to be a long saturday night for us hokies next week if something doesn't change.

the last time i looked tech only had 76 passing yards? it looked like to me they need to have more faith in taylor..put the ball in his hands more and let him run or throw instead of handing it up the middle to ore every play, with a less than average offensive line blocking for him.

[ QUOTE ]

the last time i looked tech only had 76 passing yards? it looked like to me they need to have more faith in taylor..put the ball in his hands more and let him run or throw instead of handing it up the middle to ore every play, with a less than average offensive line blocking for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

They call pass plays, he just opts to run instead of throw to receivers. Also, if he does throw, it's usually high or dropped by the receivers.

Taylor wasn't the same after the roughing the passer penalty early in the game where he took a shot to the head. Also Taylor is still learning when to tuck the ball and run and when to hang in the pocket and pass. A couple of times today he passed when he should have ran and ran when he should have passed. That's just part of the maturing process and he'll continue to learn with each passing game. However, for as bad as the offense is it would be even worse minus Taylor.

And while this has been hashed and rehased time and time again Tech needs to revamp its offensive scheme to fit Taylor's abilities. They need to run an offense similar to that of Florida and Tim Tebow. Watching Florida run its offense as I type this time I get giddy at the thought of Taylor in a similar system. However, change will not occur b/c Beamer is too loyal to his staff and Stinespring is a complete and utter moron with absolutely no idea how to run an offense effectively. I cannot stand the man, just typing his name makes me sick.

And I freakin' hate those little P.O.S. passes to the flat that S***head runs over and over and over and over and over and over again. Nine out of 10 times they go for little or no gain and there's ZERO blocking b/c they're so poorly designed. They're drive killers and a punter's wet dream...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Who does Tech play next week?

[/ QUOTE ]

@ Clemson

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be a bad game for VT.....you know Clemson is seeking revenge for what happened at Blacksburg last year.

[ QUOTE ]

And I freakin' hate those little P.O.S. passes to the flat that S***head runs over and over and over and over and over and over again. Nine out of 10 times they go for little or no gain and there's ZERO blocking b/c they're so poorly designed. They're drive killers and a punter's wet dream...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, Virginia Tech fans can finally understand why Virginia fans abhorred the Groh playcalling of 2006.

Here's as objective of a look as I can give of Virginia Tech football.

Defense:

As always, Bud Foster has designed a defense which is quite solid, as far as it goes. Excepting the LSU disaster, the unit has allowed 7, 7, 3, and 10 points in the four wins. That's not too shabby. Likewise, that defense is undoubtedly full of athletes. Adibi's interception today was just phenomenal. The defense is well-trained to keep constant and proper blocking lanes, and will seldom beat themselves.

Special Teams:

The special teams is so good, it has its own name: "Beamerball". I don't see a major flaw in that, though the punts aren't as solid this year, now the Schmitt is gone.

Offense:

This is the Achilles' heal for this team, this year. Excluding the 44 point effort against a fair I-AA school, the team has scored 17, 7, 28, and 7 points. Those numbers are decent, not great. The offensive line just cannot hold position to allow Branden Ore to get loose. That could be why Ore appears worse his senior year than his junior year: it's not him, it's the line. Glennon needed a solid offensive line to be efficient, and that didn't happen. Thomas is the best option here; his athleticism allows him to make plays Glennon simply can't. As Thomas grows into the offense, it will improve behind him.

In conclusion, it will be the offense that will cost Virginia Tech games this year. The defense won't beat itself, but that offense very well might.

Again, these are my observations on the situation. I don't follow this team, obviously, as much as most fans here, but this is as solid a post as I can make near 3 AM.

[ QUOTE ]

anyone know how many tackles adibi ended up with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adibi led the Hokies with 15 tackles, one tackle for loss, one sack, and one interception. All three of the linebackers had outstanding games. Vince Hall had 13 tackles, and Cam Martin had 10 tackles and three sacks.

I didn't pay attention to Martin as much, but I was amazed by how fast Adibi and Hall get off thier blocks and get to the ball. It seemed like every play one of the two was there. Vince Hall was close to having a pick too but he dropped it.

[ QUOTE ]

though the punts aren't as solid this year, now the Schmitt is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get that? Tech is ranked 6th in the nation in Net Punting and has allowed 22 yards on 36 punt returns.

I have to agree, Bowden has been a weapon. He leaves opponents with a long field most of the time. The punt team has been awesome at downing balls in the 20. They have gotten so good that teams are doubling the gunners at times.

They are probably the second strongest unit on the team, and the most consistent.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

stinespring. has got. to go. now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beamer has got to go!!! If Stinesoring is indeed the problem then Va Tech will continue to struglle because Beamer won't let him go. So in order for him to go Beamer must go. If Beamer knows that Stinespring is the problem and is allowing him to hold the success of the team back then he is no good either.

The 22 yards allowed on 36 total punts is somewhat of a deceptive statistic, insofar as many punts result in fair catches, go out of bounds, or are allowed to roll dead. It's still very impressive, but that needs to be noted.

I admit, I was wrong about the net punt average. My apologies. Though, if that's the only thing I was incorrect about, I believe I did a fairly good job in assessing the team, especially since Virginia Tech isn't my cup of tea.

As much as I respect Frank Beamer and his coaching staff, something does indeed need to be done to make their offense better. The team as a whole will be very successful if they figure out what they can do about their situation offensively. We as VT fans already know that the offense needs to be geared towards Tyrod. The line has been so used to Glennon being back there that when Tyrod rolls out, they cannot adjust. Stinespring already knows what he needs to do, he just needs to get off his a@# and make the changes that he needs to make. I do not feel as though Stinespring needs to be fired, I feel as though he needs to step up and make some changes. You all have to realize that Stinespring has been very successful over the years. I do, however, feel as though he has slacked off a bit

Here's the thing I don't understand about Stinespring, the two QBs, and his play calling.

When Glennon was the starter, Stinespring called a lot of "roll out" pass plays...more than half of the pass plays anyway. Glennon is not a "throw on the run" QB and is far from being fleet of feet. He's a prototypical stand in the pocket QB.

Once they put Taylor in there at QB, 95% of the pass plays have been for Taylor to stand in the pocket and throw the ball. HELLO!!! His fortay is rolling out and throwing on the run and if it isn't open, he can take off with the ball.

WTH, I mean, really, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out...but then again Stinespring is no genius...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing I don't understand about Stinespring, the two QBs, and his play calling.

When Glennon was the starter, Stinespring called a lot of "roll out" pass plays...more than half of the pass plays anyway. Glennon is not a "throw on the run" QB and is far from being fleet of feet. He's a prototypical stand in the pocket QB.

Once they put Taylor in there at QB, 95% of the pass plays have been for Taylor to stand in the pocket and throw the ball. HELLO!!! His fortay is rolling out and throwing on the run and if it isn't open, he can take off with the ball.

WTH, I mean, really, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out...but then again Stinespring is no genius...

[/ QUOTE ]

My only guess would be that he wants him to stay in the pocket and run when he is in trouble because its more spontaneous. If he rolls Taylor out, being a young QB he may try to do too much and force some things while throwing on the run.