TOP TEN IN THE NATION

swva53

has anyone noticed that out of one county, several wrestlers have received ALL AMERICAN status and have been invited to join Team Va?

In Wythe. co. wrestlers from Rural Retreat and George Wythe has produced outstanding wrestlers

Danial Crockett-All American (graduated)

Brandon Norris(All American (graduated)

David Harrison (Senior)Team Va,6th in nation,All AMERICAN

Alex Church (graduated) Team Va, 9th in nation,

Levi Lanter (Junior) Team Va, 23rd in the nation

I think its weird that kids that go to school 15 miles apart have made such an impact

Good for Grundy. That just goes to show what a large sum of money to be able to buy a coach and recruit wrestlers will do to a program. Grundy did it for so many years, and now it is Christiansburg's turn. These other wrestlers were coached by teachers that wanted to help out a program and were paid the modest coaching pay that most counties can provide. But for Grundy's sake and Christiansburg as well, all I can say is thank goodness for BINGO.

Also. these schools are some of the smallest schools in Single A Va. i.e. Rocky Gap has 100 kids 8-12. I just think its amazing that these kids from rival schools came together for one wrestling season and did a superb job

CONGRATS GUYS

one the kids went to Rocky Gap High School..where no wrestling team exists, he practiced with his father and traveled around to area schools to compete. He was dubbed the "one man wrestling team"

Coach Dresser made national champs at Grundy and C-burg. Now he's head coach at Virginia Tech.

Grundy had some kids who were originally Hurley kids and they came to Grundy to wrestle, other than that they were all from Grundy. The key to the success was an exceptional feeder program AND excellent coaching.

As for the comment about Dresser, people forget that the Wave were state champs the year before he set foot in Buchanan County. He walked into a situation with a championship team. So it wasn't all his coaching.

i was around in school at the time when all of the stuff at Grundy took off, and I can tell you, I played football, baskteball, baseball, wresteled, fished, and threw stuff at the screen in the Lynwood with all of them from about 4th grade on...they were home grown and corn fed...tuff kids with good coaches and a hard work ethic that most schools wouldn't even dream of at that time...they started the run grass roots and worked for everything they got...money or not later on...the kids from the mid 80's it all started with were just a bunch of hard nosed kids that busted their a$$...you can't take anything away from them.

It is Amazing that those kids were able to excel in the smaller programs. They all deserve the honor. I think the Grundy Wrestling Club has been the model for success in the state for the last 25 years. This just goes to show what the kids in this area are capible of when they strive to be the best. The coaching has been great. There hasn't been 10 coaches with 2 state titles in the record books. Grundy has had 3. Ben Ward was an All american at ODU and coached 2 State championship teams and breifly held the State Scoring record (which more than doubled the old record) Top Team National Ranking was #8. Kevin Dresser was a 2X all american at Iowa and coached 8 state championship teams setting the current scoring record and Top Team National Ranking of #4. Travis Fiser is a 2X All American from Iowa who has coached 4 state championship teams Top team National Ranking is #2 and Coached Both of Grundy's National Champions. Grundy holds State team records for Consecutive state titles with 12, State team scoring record at 327.5, and they rank second behind Great Bridge for most team titles with 15 (Great Bridge has 18). They also have dominated the region for 20+ years.

And.....my hat's off to Grundy, I never said they were not a GREAT team. If you can sit there and tell me that Dresser wasn't recruiting than go ahead, I personally know he was. All I was saying is my hat's off to these other schools and coaches that get paid maybe $3,000 per year and can coach a kid to place at Nationals. I guess that you are going to tell me that was all that Dresser was getting paid? Grundy has accomplished (and will accomplish) alot, no question, but let's put everything into prespective. How many high school wrestling teams do you think can afford to send their kids all over the country to wrestle and get experience? Not many, the money is just not there.

My hats off to all of Grundy's wrestlers, I have wrestled with some of them, went to College with some of them, and remain friends with many of them, but they will tell you, in another program (without the money and highly paid coaches) they would not have done near as well as they did in Grundy.

the recruiting stuff is just crap...who was "recruited" from Grundy?

As for the coaches and what they make...you still have to do the work...best coaches in the world can only make you as good as you are willing to work for...and every one of those kids worked 24/7/365 to be as good as they were....they were not recruits that were brought in to win state...they were kids that were born and raised in Grundy...a lot of people moved in to the area for jobs during the coal boom years because that's where the money was at the time...I think we had just about as many kids in my Sr. class as there are in the whole school now, but times change and people move (to abingdon mostly lol).

There may have been a case where someone from a surrounding area had a kid that was good and wanted them to go to Grundy to be part of the program there, because of the success...but that doesn't mean they were "recruited".

Grundy's success was a grass roots effort that started long before the State titles ever came...they had a strong little league system in place and kids grew up from 3rd grade on wrestling...it was a good feeder system...just like Richlands has now in football...and there was a lot of success later on because of it...yeah they had a few people who supported the program with a lot of money...but it only made what was already there better and allowed them to sustain it over the years....just like in Grundy's football program...the closing of all the feeder schools and population reduction has hurt the program...they just don't have as many kids as they once did...the money is still there...always will be...but like someone else said...they have a hard time just filling the weight classes now...so what you are saying here is not correct...becuase it's not just the money...the money is still there...the program is still there...the only thing that has changed is the feeder system and the amount of kids in the system....that's the issue.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I had a nephew rannked in the top 10 Nationally, from Ohio...He was invited to play on the "Junior Olympic" team...cut himself bad in shop class and ended up dropping out of the rankings...

[/ QUOTE ]

talk about a bad break...

[ QUOTE ]

And.....my hat's off to Grundy, I never said they were not a GREAT team. If you can sit there and tell me that Dresser wasn't recruiting than go ahead, I personally know he was. All I was saying is my hat's off to these other schools and coaches that get paid maybe $3,000 per year and can coach a kid to place at Nationals. I guess that you are going to tell me that was all that Dresser was getting paid? Grundy has accomplished (and will accomplish) alot, no question, but let's put everything into prespective. How many high school wrestling teams do you think can afford to send their kids all over the country to wrestle and get experience? Not many, the money is just not there.

My hats off to all of Grundy's wrestlers, I have wrestled with some of them, went to College with some of them, and remain friends with many of them, but they will tell you, in another program (without the money and highly paid coaches) they would not have done near as well as they did in Grundy.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're getting $3,000??? Wow...it's just $1800 at my school...only $1300 at another one that I know of....

At Grundy, the wrestling coach is taken care of well by the wrestling club. Not the school. If anybody has problems with that I dont see why they dont approach a wealthy person or company in their town to sponsor or support a club. It would be just as easy for other areas to do.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Grundy has had numerous teams and individuals ranked in the country over the last 2o years. I am happy that these other wrestlers have been ranked or placed and are at a national level, but Grundy has had more without recruiting and has done it consistently. This year Grundy has 3 wrestlers ranked nationaly, Jeremy Hurley, Ethan Owens, and Jon Dotson. So I am not tooting Grundys horn or bad mouthing the other wrestlers, all I am saying is dont say Grundy recruited or cheated because Grundy has had numerous wrestlers and teams nationaly ranked, and they have it again this year.

Outside of a kid or two coming from Hurley (which doesn't even have wrestling, therefore, how is it really recruiting?...more like opportunity), I don't remember anybody who wrestled for Grundy that wasn't from Big Rock, Harman, Vansant, JM Bevins, PV Dennis, or Russell Prater during my time at the school.

I think people confuse some of those kids coming to Christiansburg from all around the country and believe it to be "the same as what Grundy did." Believe what you want, but it was more to do with work ethic and a system of weight cutting that won state titles than anything. Other schools had 119 pound kids who actually weighed 119. Grundy had 135-140 pound kids cut weight to wrestle at 119. THAT is the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BB_TWEEDER

The two kids who moved from Hurley to wrestle at Grundy was both of my family members as djr4rebs could second that. It wasent recruiting. These kids was just pure bred athlets who wanted something more And one of them went on to wrestle at Virginia Tech and now is a Navy Seal. And im from originaly from Hurley so if that doesnt tell you im not bias on them been recruited then its not going to stick to your mind that they werent.