WVU vs. VT

KINGPIN

[ QUOTE ]

alright i will stop, I wish the rivalry was continued though provided great trash talking yearly for these teams. It was a shame the series had to end. I am hoping tech makes it to orange bowl...and wvu wins out...However if Ohio state wins out..rose gets first pick and says they are going to take wvu if available....personally I would like to go to orange and take on the hokies.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is doubtful at best that the Rose Bowl would take West Virginia with its first choice. I give a few reasons.

First, you are assuming that West Virginia wins out. It's likely, but you fail to recognize that West Virginia still has to play a good Cincinnati team in Cincinnati, and a solid Connecticut team in Morgantown for the Big East title. You've said over and over that these teams aren't that good. Well, I could say that the New England Patriots stink until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that they are incredibly good. Cincinnati and Connecticut are solid teams; Connecticut has one loss by one point on the season, and Cincinnati handled South Florida, who just by chance handled West Virginia. It's not automatic.

Second, for argument's sake, let's assume Ohio State and LSU win out. Oregon has the Pac-10 spot wrapped up. The Big XII presents a problem here. You have three teams with one loss or less: Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Kansas and Missouri play each other. Three scenarios arise that present problems for West Virginia. One, and the most problematic, if Kansas wins, and then Oklahoma wins in the Big XII title game, you have a one-loss Kansas team who has enough heft on the schedule to edge out West Virginia. Two, if Kansas or Missouri wins in the Big XII title game, you have a solid, two-loss Oklahoma team who has played a tough schedule, and could perhaps win the nod over West Virginia (see LSU last year). Three, if Missouri, a solid team with a very good quarterback in Chase Daniel and favorable national exposure, beats Kansas and loses against Oklahoma, this team has two losses and might take precedence over West Virginia.

Third, if Hawaii wins out, with games against Boise State and Washington still to go on the schedule, the Warriors may just crack the top 12 in the BCS, and would be forced into one of the Big Four. The obvious solution? Send them to Pasadena, which is nearest to Hawaii, so the fans could travel much easier and so there is regional interest in the game, by associating Hawaii with the west coast.

Fourth, the Orange Bowl has an affinity for taking Big East teams, so much so that many refer to the Orange Bowl as receiving the Big East's champion. The bowls themselves will talk amongst each other; it would be nonsense to say that the bowls would not keep correspondence with each other regarding potential bids extended. Therefore, the Rose Bowl would likely take a team from a more solid conference, and would likely keep West Virginia back east.

Saying that the Rose Bowl would definitely take WVU is far too general a statement, with little to back it up. I honestly don't see it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

STOP THE PRESSES! What current top 25 team has anyone in the big east beaten!?!

UCONN- NONE

Syracuse- None

WVU-None

Pitt-None

Louiville-none

rutgers-none

Cincy-none

south florida- WVU

thr big east has one win against current top 25 oppponents.

VT has beaten Clemson.

BC has beaten VT

UVA has beaten Uconn,

FSU has beaten BAMA and BC

NC State has beaten UVA

GT has beaten Clemson

Thats 7 to 1. WVU has zero wins over top 25 teams. Now, who has to prove themselves? I dont think VT does...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty convincing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Georgia Tech stinks cecil get over it, you never played the game of football anyway...I would like to see you lined up against any football team and we see how you would run your political mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back and look at my posts.

I admit GT is horrible.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

alright i will stop, I wish the rivalry was continued though provided great trash talking yearly for these teams. It was a shame the series had to end. I am hoping tech makes it to orange bowl...and wvu wins out...However if Ohio state wins out..rose gets first pick and says they are going to take wvu if available....personally I would like to go to orange and take on the hokies.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is doubtful at best that the Rose Bowl would take West Virginia with its first choice. I give a few reasons.

First, you are assuming that West Virginia wins out. It's likely, but you fail to recognize that West Virginia still has to play a good Cincinnati team in Cincinnati, and a solid Connecticut team in Morgantown for the Big East title. You've said over and over that these teams aren't that good. Well, I could say that the New England Patriots stink until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that they are incredibly good. Cincinnati and Connecticut are solid teams; Connecticut has one loss by one point on the season, and Cincinnati handled South Florida, who just by chance handled West Virginia. It's not automatic.

Second, for argument's sake, let's assume Ohio State and LSU win out. Oregon has the Pac-10 spot wrapped up. The Big XII presents a problem here. You have three teams with one loss or less: Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Kansas and Missouri play each other. Three scenarios arise that present problems for West Virginia. One, and the most problematic, if Kansas wins, and then Oklahoma wins in the Big XII title game, you have a one-loss Kansas team who has enough heft on the schedule to edge out West Virginia. Two, if Kansas or Missouri wins in the Big XII title game, you have a solid, two-loss Oklahoma team who has played a tough schedule, and could perhaps win the nod over West Virginia (see LSU last year). Three, if Missouri, a solid team with a very good quarterback in Chase Daniel and favorable national exposure, beats Kansas and loses against Oklahoma, this team has two losses and might take precedence over West Virginia.

Third, if Hawaii wins out, with games against Boise State and Washington still to go on the schedule, the Warriors may just crack the top 12 in the BCS, and would be forced into one of the Big Four. The obvious solution? Send them to Pasadena, which is nearest to Hawaii, so the fans could travel much easier and so there is regional interest in the game, by associating Hawaii with the west coast.

Fourth, the Orange Bowl has an affinity for taking Big East teams, so much so that many refer to the Orange Bowl as receiving the Big East's champion. The bowls themselves will talk amongst each other; it would be nonsense to say that the bowls would not keep correspondence with each other regarding potential bids extended. Therefore, the Rose Bowl would likely take a team from a more solid conference, and would likely keep West Virginia back east.

Saying that the Rose Bowl would definitely take WVU is far too general a statement, with little to back it up. I honestly don't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If ohio state wins out and wvu wins out and no upsets are had...I am 99.1 % sure rose bowl take wvu with first pick setting up Oregon vs WVU matchup...If hawaii wins out ( fan base is terrible they will wind up in sugar bowl...However I really want the ACC Champion in the Orange bowl preferably VT

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Why would The rose bowl pick WVU? I know why they wouldnt after what UVAobserver said, but why would the rose bowl pick WVU?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If ohio state wins out and wvu wins out and no upsets are had...I am 99.1 % sure rose bowl take wvu with first pick setting up Oregon vs WVU matchup...If hawaii wins out ( fan base is terrible they will wind up in sugar bowl...However I really want the ACC Champion in the Orange bowl preferably VT

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha.............I'll have some of what he is smoking!

Why would the Rose take WVU with the first pick? Please provide me some info to back this prediction up.

OK......for starters.....why do we have some Mike Vick bandwagoners living in WV cheering on the always overrated VT? Second of all............The Almost competitive conference should be ashamed of stealing some of the Big East's big programs to make this super conference. LMAO....weak! GT is awful.....Clemson is so inconsistent and will be head coach hunting, FSU has dissapeared and then beat the #2 team who beat VT in chokieville! UVA....WELL they are not as good as record may indicate....watch them get smacked in a bowl. I would hope they beat chokie town but I don't see it happening. NCST, WAKE, UNC, DUKE.....Looks like a super conference to me. Let's talk about Tech's OOC games..........lmao......WEAK WEAK WEAK. Hawaii will not win out! They haven't played anyone.....oh yeah san jose st. almost took them out.

Bottom line is that the Almost Competitive Conference is awful for the conference they dreamed to be. They wanted to rival the SEC.....and they end up rivaling the sunbelt.

If tech and wvu play.......it will be a laugher. wvu has an offense and defense.....tech has a defense....but it cracked against a decent team in BC.

WVU stomped rutgers....teel a little banged up or not is irrelevant........We stopped RAYRAY. We didn't cry about White getting injured during USF game.

Weak OOC eh?? LSU???? where were they (or close to an equal team) on WVU's schedule??? hmmmm??????

Rutgers is WVU's best win is what I gather you are saying, right?? Didn't Rutgers lose to Maryland??? Wait.....what conference is Maryland in?? OMG the ACC!!! Like that rating of WVU's schedule 88th? You seen that yet?

USF can't beat anyone right now and UCONN has been lucky (I'm calling for a fair catch!) Pitt is a joke and I'm not even going to talk about Syracuse or Loserviller. Cinnci and WVU are all the conference has right now. maybe UCONN. I do not see where the Big Least is better or worse then the ACC. Take a good look at your own conference before you bash others. BTW, if The Big East has been bitten by the SEC bug, then how come when the SEC beat each other they are still in the top 15 but the Big East teams beat each other they drop out of the top 35 all together.

[ QUOTE ]

Talk, talk, & more talk. Here is the only stat that matters: Oct. 1, 2005 VT 34 WVU 17 in Morgantown. OUCH.... Until they play again, VT has bragging rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah with wvu's current 3rd string qb and a rb who is no longer on the team . . . wow vt is as good as everyone thinks lol hahahahahah

Guest BEAVERTAIL

First of all, anyone can ramble on about how either conference is better. Fieldgeneral, if you want to make a point back it up with FACTS.

I think i proved which conference plays the tougher teams and which one is stronger.

Until you quit rambling on about things that arent factual your argument is not valid. If you believe the Big East is better then prove it with facts, not opinions.

Until you can find stats that prove me wrong, the ACC is a better conference than the big east. END OF DISCUSSION.

[ QUOTE ]

First of all, anyone can ramble on about how either conference is better. Fieldgeneral, if you want to make a point back it up with FACTS.

I think i proved which conference plays the tougher teams and which one is stronger.

Until you quit rambling on about things that arent factual your argument is not valid. If you believe the Big East is better then prove it with facts, not opinions.

Until you can find stats that prove me wrong, the ACC is a better conference than the big east. END OF DISCUSSION.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right. Fieldgeneral just likes to flame, and seldom if ever provides insightful commentary to any subject he/she posts on. It would be better to ignore him/her.

If you smelllllllllllllllll lalalallalalallalala what he is smoking.....tell him to put it out because the Almost Competitive conference is awful. #7 and #13....in the BCS......so UCONN IS nothing......yes a bad call helped them out, but how many times has chokieville gotten a call. The amazing thing is that the BIG EAST was stripped of supposively thier best teams and still outplay the acc.

[ QUOTE ]

If you smelllllllllllllllll lalalallalalallalala what he is smoking.....tell him to put it out because the Almost Competitive conference is awful. #7 and #13....in the BCS......so UCONN IS nothing......yes a bad call helped them out, but how many times has chokieville gotten a call. The amazing thing is that the BIG EAST was stripped of supposively thier best teams and still outplay the acc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You embarrass WVU fans...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go on and brag about UConn being the best in the Big East. That program is definitely full of tradition!

about the rose bowl now I have no concrete proof...Makes sense for rose bowl ( if they lost Big 10 Ohio State to championship) to get best available team/matchu...Oregon/WVU makes good sense...I think it may happen...however wvu has to win out as well...any bcs game will be good though.

[ QUOTE ]

And you embarass us all as a member of the human race!

[/ QUOTE ]

This kid can't be any older than 12 with these great comebacks! You should go back to living in fantasy land and play NCAA 2008 where you can win all National Championships you want.

Go figure from a chokie fan! How would you know what happens on that little game if you don't yourself. LOL.....How many do they have in choksterville? Zero zip zilch. I know we don't have any either. I know that if we play this year......VT loses....end of discussion. The conversation was about that.....because of the fact you don't like my responses......you want to say you embarrass this or that or go play a videogame. That is what typical little girls might say.

[ QUOTE ]

Go figure from a chokie fan! How would you know what happens on that little game if you don't yourself. LOL.....How many do they have in choksterville? Zero zip zilch. I know we don't have any either. I know that if we play this year......VT loses....end of discussion. The conversation was about that.....because of the fact you don't like my responses......you want to say you embarrass this or that or go play a videogame. That is what typical little girls might say.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't present coherent thoughts or meaningful posts. I'm done with this VT-WVU trash. I will just go watch VT compete in the inferior ACC and watch WVU continue to flex their muscles as they dominate top ranked teams.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Talk, talk, & more talk. Here is the only stat that matters: Oct. 1, 2005 VT 34 WVU 17 in Morgantown. OUCH.... Until they play again, VT has bragging rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah with wvu's current 3rd string qb and a rb who is no longer on the team . . . wow vt is as good as everyone thinks lol hahahahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat White came in the game late in the 1st Q after Bednarik got knocked out...that was the best thing to happen to WVU...VT helped them find their QB...BTW, Slayton was the starting RB that game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=252740277

[ QUOTE ]

Pat White came in the game late in the 1st Q after Bednarik got knocked out...that was the best thing to happen to WVU...VT helped them find their QB...BTW, Slayton was the starting RB that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, its SLATON, not Slayton. The Y is silent