WVU vs. VT

KINGPIN

[ QUOTE ]

of course a fan from the land of turkeys will agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with where I am from. Until WVU wins the Big East in a convincing fashion and unless the Big East gains alot of respect, then WVU will always be on the outside looking in. This is not my opinion, but to alot of "experts" they believe the Big East is nothing much more than that of the WAC. If the Big East continues to get stronger and if perhaps they strengthen their schedule then they maybe, just maybe, they will be looked at as "perennial".

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

You're just flaming, sheer flaming. That's all this is, and it's frankly pathetic.

Here's evidence to suggest that you might be mistaken.

Perennial, according to Webster's means "persisting for several years". To be fair, we should probably count since 2000 in order to qualify the definition of several. Here are West Virginia's records since 2000:

2000: 7-5

2001: 3-8

2002: 9-4

2003: 8-5

2004: 8-4

2005: 11-1

2006: 11-2

2007: 8-1 (currently)

As you can clearly see, West Virginia has definitely been on the right track for the past three years. A top-10 end-of-season ranking would be deserving. However, "perennial" is pushing the issue quite a bit at the moment. It could become that way, with the good, young talent for the Mountaineers.

Flame me some more if you like. I thrive on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think its fair to use 2000 and 2001 in your analysis. 2000 was Don Nehlens last season and 2001 was Rich Rods first year. Even the next few years after that was the building process. I won't say that WVU will be a perenniel top 10 team but I dont see why they cant. They are getting the really good recruits and even the ones that aren't rated that high end up being very good players. Example: Pat White, Steve Slaton, Pac Man Jones, Owen Schmitt, Darius Reynaud, Chris Henry

[ QUOTE ]

I can tell you have nothing more to do. If you want to go academic.....there are more than one definition to many words in the English language. Perennial can be recurrent, and continuing. Year after year. We are looking at a 3rd year in a row in the top 10. I said now a perenial top 10 team. All I was saying is that they are continuing to be in the top 10 now. Nothing we have done in the past. It's an achievement for us. I didn't bash anyone..you thought you'd argue with me over my statement.....surprise!

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, you have nothing to do either, for you're still trying to argue with me. I'm here because my school's game is on tonight, nationally televised. The pot calls the kettle black!

Ineeed, Merriam-Webster does give your terminology in the final definition on the page. If you look slightly farther, it also means "perpetual" and "constant". West Virginia CERTAINLY doesn't fit the bill with that regard. Likewise, I took a LOT of Latin. Seven years of it to be exact. "Per" means through, "anni" means multiple years. Put the two together, you get perennial.

Again, I say it has the *potential* to be perennial, but is not so yet. West Virginia still needs a fair amount of time to maintain this level of talent for it to be perennial.

The Big East should be respected. They went 5-0 in bowl games last year. Name another conference who did that. The Big East is just as competitive as any conference. Look at the SEC.....Miss st. beats Kentucky and Alabama and WVU throttled them.

[ QUOTE ]

The Big East should be respected. They went 5-0 in bowl games last year. Name another conference who did that. The Big East is just as competitive as any conference. Look at the SEC.....Miss st. beats Kentucky and Alabama and WVU throttled them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That logic on your second point is notoriously faulty. Here's a few examples:

1. LSU throttled Virginia Tech. Kentucky beat LSU. Therefore, should Kentucky should throttle Virginia Tech? Doubtful!

2. Maryland beat Boston College. Boston College beat Virginia Tech. Therefore, should Maryland should beat Virginia Tech? Doubtful!

3. Cincinnati beat Connecticut. Connecticut beats Pittsburgh. However, Pittsburgh beat Cincinnati.

Football doesn't work by that logic at all. It is whoever plays the best game on that day that will win.

well no offense.....I never said WVU would have beat them. I just said WVU beat a good team in MSU. A lot of people have said that their schedule is weak and the SEC team wasn't worthy of making a statement. In all actuality, the fact that those things happened will help WVU points wise. If UCONN keeps winning....it helps UVA.....

Fair enough, then. Points well taken.

A Connecticut win does help Virginia in the BCS. However, this isn't of much importance at the moment, since Virginia isn't in the running for an at-large BCS bid; the odds that Virginia would receive a bid are slim-to-none, even if we beat Virginia Tech and lose to Boston College/Clemson.