WVU vs. VT

KINGPIN

[ QUOTE ]

Go figure from a chokie fan! How would you know what happens on that little game if you don't yourself. LOL.....How many do they have in choksterville? Zero zip zilch. I know we don't have any either. I know that if we play this year......VT loses....end of discussion. The conversation was about that.....because of the fact you don't like my responses......you want to say you embarrass this or that or go play a videogame. That is what typical little girls might say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I think I hear your mommy calling for you. She says it's time to start getting cleaned up before dinner. After dinner, you need to get started on your homework. There will be no TV or computer until all the homework is done, she says

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Talk, talk, & more talk. Here is the only stat that matters: Oct. 1, 2005 VT 34 WVU 17 in Morgantown. OUCH.... Until they play again, VT has bragging rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah with wvu's current 3rd string qb and a rb who is no longer on the team . . . wow vt is as good as everyone thinks lol hahahahahah

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat White came in the game late in the 1st Q after Bednarik got knocked out...that was the best thing to happen to WVU...VT helped them find their QB...BTW, Slayton was the starting RB that game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=252740277

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Slaton did not start that game. It was either Jason Colson or Pernell Williams. If you remember Williams had a very costly fumble early in the game. After that Slaton came in and ran really well. WVU was definitely a different team then. The turnaround came in the come back vs Lousiville, thats when we knew White would be the quarterback. Bednaris actually started the Lousiville game also and thats when he got injured.

You know, it's really funny to me how much wvu fans hate vt. I can honestly say I don't understand it. What bearing does our success or failure have on the outcome of your team? Unless they play in a bowl game, the rivalry isn't even going to continue as far as we know. So all this talk is pretty pointless.

By the way, best of luck to the 'eers as they take on Louisville. If all goes well, tech and wvu, two great teams will meet in a bowl game to see if anyone's arguments have any validity. Until then, this argument gets pretty frustrating doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon.

As for the acc vs. big east argument, uvaobserver makes good points when he says we're fighting hard for the 5th most deserving conference in the nation.

Will not happen.

1. Your proposed "experts" on ESPN also have Clemson going to either the Peach or the Gator Bowl. Clemson has a VERY realistic chance of ending up 4-4 in conference (games against Wake Forest and Boston College to go), and given bowl selection rules that I have seen (that a team can only jump another for a bowl selection if the conference win-loss total is within one game of the other team), Clemson would be unable to jump into the top 2-3 in the bowl bids for the ACC, unless the wacky 3-way tie at 5-3 played out in the Coastal Division. Even then, the Gator and Peach bowls would snub Clemson. I mention this, insofar as the same "experts", err...ding-dongs, are picking West Virginia for the Rose Bowl. They put honestly very little foresight into this.

2. Pertaining to your specific article by Stewart Mandel, this guy is equally as wacky in his projections. He has Virginia Tech as the FIFTH-RANKED TEAM IN THE ACC. Let that sink in. I would love to have whatever this guy is injecting/smoking/drinking, because there is a slim-to-none chance that Virginia Tech will lose out in order to accomplish this practical impossibility. Likewise, he also has Clemson in the Peach Bowl, which is highly improbable, given the situation I listed earlier.

In conclusion, while yes, some people are predicting West Virginia going to the Rose Bowl, these same people have absolutely HORRENDOUS bowl projections elsewhere. These people fail to do adequate research, or else they would see such glaring inconsistencies. Therefore, I honestly believe their work cannot be trusted, as I have produced examples that obviously question their analysis. In turn, their projection of West Virginia in the Rose Bowl is a crock of manure.

Can you back that up at all? I don't see an effort on your behalf to reproduce any of my previous posts in an effort to show that my research has been a crock of manure, as it were. I've given you solid evidence stating that these bowl projectionists do little if any research regarding the teams themselves and their future opponents, and you give me back a teenage retort.

Since you obviously have no basis on which to back it up, you're basically saying that: "I have nothing else to say, I concede the argument, but let me get one last parting shot before we end the discussion". I can live with that.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Just to show you how stupid the people who make these bowl predictions are, here is one from fox sports...

Rose Bowl presented by Citi

Jan. 1 / 4:30 p.m. Pasadena, Calif. ABC

*BCS vs. BCS (Big Ten Champion vs. Pac 10 Champion, if available)

Projection: Arizona State vs. Boise State

Boise State? are you serious? i mean they sneak in during some years because they are undefeated, but come on. They have already lost and are ranked 20th in the BCS.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i forgot to mention that they lost to a washington team that is 3-6...

2007-08 Bowl Projections

Bowl

(Matchup) Ivan Maisel Mark Schlabach

Allstate BCS Championship Game

(BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2) Ohio State vs. LSU Ohio State vs. LSU

Allstate Sugar

(BCS vs. BCS) Georgia vs. Hawaii Georgia vs. Hawaii

FedEx Orange

(BCS vs. BCS) Boston College vs.

Missouri Virginia Tech vs.

Missouri

Tostitos Fiesta

(BCS vs. BCS) Oklahoma vs. USC Oklahoma vs. USC

Rose Bowl presented by Citi

(BCS vs. BCS) Oregon vs. West Virginia Oregon vs. West Virginia

sorry beavertail these guys no more about the systems than you and I

Guest BEAVERTAIL

im not saying they know more or less... im saying these predictions mean nothing. Not only are they predicting what teams are gonna go to what bowls, but what teams are gonna win. that makes it really hard.

all these predictions are low brow entertainment anyways.

Guest JJBrickface

I think West Virginia has a shot at the Rose Bowl but they would have to be matched up with someone like Oregon. The Rose Bowl is going to accept a Pac-10 no doubt. There is still a lot of football left to be played so we'll see in December.

Here's Stewart Mandel's reasons for his predictions:

[ QUOTE ]

Q: Isn't the Rose Bowl supposed to match the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions? Why on earth do you have a Big East team (West Virginia) there???

A: If it were solely up to the Rose Bowl, there would in fact be a Big Ten-Pac-10 matchup in Pasadena every year, as was the case for more than half a century (1947-2001). However, in the age of the BCS, if the Rose Bowl loses one of the two leagues' champions to the national title game (like, theoretically, No. 1 Ohio State), the team it chooses as a replacement must be ranked in the top 14 of the BCS standings. It appears unlikely at this point that Michigan, were it to lose its final game to the Buckeyes, would qualify as such, and even if it did, the Rose Bowl would have a hard time justifying an Oregon-Michigan rematch if the Ducks win the Pac-10

[/ QUOTE ]

He also has Tech way down in rank in the ACC. He explains that one too.

[ QUOTE ]

Q: Have you lost your mind, Mandel? You think Virginia Tech is going to finish fifth in the ACC????? The Hokies are way better than Clemson, Virginia ...

A: I can't emphasize this point enough -- outside of the BCS, bowls DO NOT HAVE TO PICK IN ORDER OF CONFERENCE STANDINGS. Here's a point-by-point breakdown of how I arrived at the Virginia Tech-Music City Bowl projection:

• I have Boston College winning the ACC championship and going to the BCS.

• The Chick-fil-A Bowl, which has second pick, just hosted the Hokies last season. Clemson, due to its close proximity and reputation for fan travel, would be an ideal fit here if the Tigers finish at least 9-3.

• If we're assuming the Hokies play in the ACC title game, then their fans would have just traveled to Jacksonville a month earlier and would be unlikely to return in droves. The Gator Bowl will want to avoid this after its experience with Georgia Tech last season. The choice here is Virginia -- the Cavaliers fans are enjoying their best season in years.

• Finally, we come to the Champs Sports Bowl. Here, I have to admit: I messed up. The Orlando game would presumably kill to host Florida State, which, at the time of these projections, was coming off a big win over BC; however, I failed to notice that FSU, at 3-3 in the ACC, is two games behind the Hokies (4-1) in the conference loss column. By ACC rules, Champs Sports would be obligated to take Virginia Tech.

(As you can see, I myself get confused about all this from time to time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an explanation to some questions brought up here. Take it for what it is.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's Stewart Mandel's reasons for his predictions:

[ QUOTE ]

Q: Isn't the Rose Bowl supposed to match the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions? Why on earth do you have a Big East team (West Virginia) there???

A: If it were solely up to the Rose Bowl, there would in fact be a Big Ten-Pac-10 matchup in Pasadena every year, as was the case for more than half a century (1947-2001). However, in the age of the BCS, if the Rose Bowl loses one of the two leagues' champions to the national title game (like, theoretically, No. 1 Ohio State), the team it chooses as a replacement must be ranked in the top 14 of the BCS standings. It appears unlikely at this point that Michigan, were it to lose its final game to the Buckeyes, would qualify as such, and even if it did, the Rose Bowl would have a hard time justifying an Oregon-Michigan rematch if the Ducks win the Pac-10

[/ QUOTE ]

He also has Tech way down in rank in the ACC. He explains that one too.

[ QUOTE ]

Q: Have you lost your mind, Mandel? You think Virginia Tech is going to finish fifth in the ACC????? The Hokies are way better than Clemson, Virginia ...

A: I can't emphasize this point enough -- outside of the BCS, bowls DO NOT HAVE TO PICK IN ORDER OF CONFERENCE STANDINGS. Here's a point-by-point breakdown of how I arrived at the Virginia Tech-Music City Bowl projection:

• I have Boston College winning the ACC championship and going to the BCS.

• The Chick-fil-A Bowl, which has second pick, just hosted the Hokies last season. Clemson, due to its close proximity and reputation for fan travel, would be an ideal fit here if the Tigers finish at least 9-3.

• If we're assuming the Hokies play in the ACC title game, then their fans would have just traveled to Jacksonville a month earlier and would be unlikely to return in droves. The Gator Bowl will want to avoid this after its experience with Georgia Tech last season. The choice here is Virginia -- the Cavaliers fans are enjoying their best season in years.

• Finally, we come to the Champs Sports Bowl. Here, I have to admit: I messed up. The Orlando game would presumably kill to host Florida State, which, at the time of these projections, was coming off a big win over BC; however, I failed to notice that FSU, at 3-3 in the ACC, is two games behind the Hokies (4-1) in the conference loss column. By ACC rules, Champs Sports would be obligated to take Virginia Tech.

(As you can see, I myself get confused about all this from time to time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an explanation to some questions brought up here. Take it for what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least Mandel has some justification for his questionable picks. I disagree on his rationale, however.

First, regarding Clemson. They are 7-2 (4-2) at the moment. They have two remaining ACC games, Wake Forest and Boston College, then travel to South Carolina. I definitely see them losing to Boston College. Wake Forest is a scrappy team that could put an upset on Clemson; however, when it boils down to it, I see Clemson winning. The game against South Carolina is interesting; given the strength of competition in the SEC, and the absolutely awful out-of-conference schedule Clemson has played, I will favor the Gamecocks here. That puts Clemson at 8-4 (5-3). Boston College will likely win out, with games at Maryland, at Clemson, and against Miami. Virginia Tech has a fairly good chance to win out to "The Showdown", making them 6-1 by the conference title game. Virginia has a fairly good chance of beating Miami this weekend (the Florida curse excepted), especially with Kyle Wright playing at about 75% on a bummed knee. If this happens the winner of the Virginia Tech-Virginia game will have a conference record of 7-1. Boston College will also have a conference record of 7-1. The loser of the ACC title game will have a conference record of 7-2. Here is where Mandel is at fault, I believe. Implicit in his column is the bowl selection rules I mentioned earlier, stating that a team cannot leapfrog another when the difference in conference standings is more than 1 game. The difference for the loser of the ACC title game here is 1.5 games, more than the rule allows. Given my scenario above, which I believe is likely, the loser will be pretty much forced into the Peach Bowl. I just hope, if Virginia loses "The Showdown", Clemson wouldn't jump Virginia for the Gator Bowl, similar to 2002. Hoo fans are still steamed over that.

Second, Virginia Tech. Given my scenario above, it is likely that Virginia Tech could finish with either a 6-2 or 7-2 conference mark. With a 7-2 mark, Virginia Tech is headed to the Peach, unless Virginia would leapfrog them at 6-2, and that would be unlikely. The following scenario applies for 6-2. The Tire Bowl is for the ACC's 5th-6th-7th ranked teams. In the Coastal Division, no one will be able to jump them if Virginia Tech loses "The Showdown". In the Atlantic, a few teams might. With a 6-2 finish, Clemson could possibly jump Virginia Tech at 5-3. The same would apply to Wake Forest at 5-3 in-conference, with a loss to Clemson and a victory over NC State. Florida State would be 4-4 in conference with a loss to Virginia Tech, so that's it. The teams remaining, in a worst-case scenario for Virginia Tech, that could leapfrog them would be: Clemson and Wake Forest. In this scenario, Boston College is in the Orange and Virginia is in the Peach. Virginia Tech has already beaten Clemson, and quite handily. It is theoretically possible for Virginia Tech to get shafted, and that's what it would be, shafted. However, I see Virginia Tech, with a loss in "The Showdown", with its fanbase known for traveling very well, going back to the Gator Bowl. I could see Clemson then in the Champs Sports Bowl, with Wake Forest in the Tire Bowl (given its penchant for taking North Carolina teams when possible).

That's how I see it running down. I just disagree with Mandel's analysis.

Mandel is an assclown. Instead of giving his bowl game predictions, he should stick to what he was good at like blowing up rubber gloves on his head and asking "Deal or no deal!?"

Oh wait.......sorry.......wrong Mandel!

You're just flaming, sheer flaming. That's all this is, and it's frankly pathetic.

Here's evidence to suggest that you might be mistaken.

Perennial, according to Webster's means "persisting for several years". To be fair, we should probably count since 2000 in order to qualify the definition of several. Here are West Virginia's records since 2000:

2000: 7-5

2001: 3-8

2002: 9-4

2003: 8-5

2004: 8-4

2005: 11-1

2006: 11-2

2007: 8-1 (currently)

As you can clearly see, West Virginia has definitely been on the right track for the past three years. A top-10 end-of-season ranking would be deserving. However, "perennial" is pushing the issue quite a bit at the moment. It could become that way, with the good, young talent for the Mountaineers.

Flame me some more if you like. I thrive on it.