Head Football Coaching Jobs??

Karl_Childers

[ QUOTE ]

Davis was rumored to be jacking his jaw at the Mountaineer bowling lanes about how he had led richlands to state the last four years...he had already woke one sleeping giant wonder if he could do the same at hurley?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN A COACH TO TAKE HURLEY TO STATE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's official Marion's coach resigned. It was in the Bristol paper earlier this week. Who are the frontrunners for the job?

I also heard that Tommy "the gut" I mean "gun" Cregger was going to be the new head coach at Twin Valley.

[ QUOTE ]

It's official Marion's coach resigned. It was in the Bristol paper earlier this week. Who are the frontrunners for the job?

I also heard that Tommy "the gut" I mean "gun" Cregger was going to be the new head coach at Twin Valley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn it...Plymal is going to TV...how many times do you have to hear it????

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not. There may be someone and a "surprise" that your good source doesn't know about. Because, I hear that the job has been offered to someone with more experienced than Cregger and I also know of someone else that is interested.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe not. There may be someone and a "surprise" that your good source doesn't know about. Because, I hear that the job has been offered to someone with more experienced than Cregger and I also know of someone else that is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plymal?

[ QUOTE ]

What other schools are looking for a new Head Football Coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the GA list:

List: Georgia's head football coaching vacancies

By TODD HOLCOMB

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/21/08

By my count, there have been 51 openings for head coaches among GHSA schools since the season ended, and only nine have been filled officially. A few others have a choice in mind but haven't made an announcement. Not all vacancies are official, either. Since the GHSA and the state board of education doesn't keeps track of this, any list of job openings is unofficial.

JOBS FILLED

Allatoona: Hired Gary Varner to start program.

Bainbridge: Ed Pilcher replaced Ricky Woods.

Calvary Day: Mark Stroud replaced Tim Blackston.

Coffee: Ken Eldridge replaced Jerry Odom.

Greenbrier: Brian Smith replaced Scott Chadwick.

Heritage-Ringgold: Hired Tim James to start program.

Mays: Dominic Callaway replaced Jesse Solomon.

Morrow: Larry Mortonson replaced Daryl Steward.

Upson-Lee: Tommy Watson replaced Eddie Payne.

JOBS OPEN:

Archer (new school)Gwinnett

Avondale (Mark Adams)

Berrien (Ross New)

Cedar Shoals (Scott Wilkins)

Central Carrollton (Randy Padgett)

Central Gwinnett (Dennis Roland)

Chapel Hill (Mike Bedosky)

Collins Hill (Larry Sherrill) Gwinnett

Colquitt County (Tim Cokely)

Cross Keys (Douglas Blackwell)

Dodge County (Greg Robinson)

Duluth (Richard Gillespie) Gwinnett

Eagle's Landing (Bob Stinchcomb)

Forest Park (Demarco Mitchell)

Franklin County (Danny Durham)

Hancock Central (Wilbert Simmons)

Houston County (George Collins)

Howard (New school in Macon)

Jeff Davis (Andy Rykard)

Jones County (Bill Young)

Kell (Irv Sigler)

Kendrick (Ahmad Tinker)

Lakeside-DeKalb (Greg Lester)

Lamar County (Calvin Scandrett)

Lambert (New school in Cumming)

Lassiter (Greg Dirst)

McEachern (Jimmy Dorsey)

Mount Paran (New team)

Mountain View (New school in Gwinnett)

North Atlanta (Chris Thomas)

Northview (Don Savage)

Oconee County (Nick Saltaformaggio)

Pelham (Phillip Richards)

Pope (Bob Swank)

Rabun County (Steve Patterson)

Rockdale County (William Johnson)

Thomas County Central (Ed Pilcher)

Toombs County (Mark Stroud)

Tri-Cities (Morris Starr)

Trion (Tom Bryant)

Walker (Frank Cuda)

Wayne County (Craig Davis)

— Research by Steve Slay, Georgia High School Historians Association and Todd Holcomb, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

• And is being a head coach all it’s cracked up to be?

Consider this quote to the Grand Rapids Press from former Kell coach Irv Sigler, who said 14-hour days were common and ultimately not worth it for him:

“Coaching down here [in Georgia] is a much different proposition. Our program [Kell] isn’t funded by the school, so the coaches are responsible for everything … from A to Z, and that includes cutting fields and striping fields. I have a great school and I love my kids and assistant coaches, but it got to the point where I felt I couldn’t do that and be a good husband and father at the same time.â€

Sigler has returned to coach a school in Michigan, where the job description is more reasonable, he said.

I feel that Luther and fat Back would be the ones to turn TV around. Because they have dated most of the players moms over at TV and built a strong bond with the youngens. Also bring Yarlo in and coach the special teams

[ QUOTE ]

you were looking for swGasports.com. its an understandable mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope....just trying to broaden the horizon....could be some local asst. or hc coaches that monitor/read this site that might be interested; also, just for sheer sports reading ..... coaching is NOT an easy job (all the hrs.invested vs. the money earned and reduced personal time) as indicated by this report of the wide vacancies.

....saw in today's AJC...the Lassiter job is being offered to the OC formerly with Hoover High in AL ( according to report he was prev. a HC before the Hoover stint)...school board voting on it this wk.

[ QUOTE ]

“Coaching down here [in Georgia] is a much different proposition. Our program [Kell] isn’t funded by the school, so the coaches are responsible for everything … from A to Z, and that includes cutting fields and striping fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a buncha of crap... I would bet you money MOST coaches in VA stripe their own fields and but their own grass.

Now adays coaches have to fund raise due to schools not funding as much as they should.

It's no different IMO

There are exceptions...there are some that dont have to do as much.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

“Coaching down here [in Georgia] is a much different proposition. Our program [Kell] isn’t funded by the school, so the coaches are responsible for everything … from A to Z, and that includes cutting fields and striping fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a buncha of crap... I would bet you money MOST coaches in VA stripe their own fields and but their own grass.

Now adays coaches have to fund raise due to schools not funding as much as they should.

It's no different IMO

There are exceptions...there are some that dont have to do as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like that for ALL sports, not just football. Gate money from football games isn't enough to fund everything and every sport. That's where Booster Clubs and fundraisers and volunteers come in. "Schools" don't fund as much as they should? You want a good football team...get some local businesses and boosters to kick in some $$$...Schools can hardly pay for textbooks and chalk...

[ QUOTE ]

It's like that for ALL sports, not just football. Gate money from football games isn't enough to fund everything and every sport. That's where Booster Clubs and fundraisers and volunteers come in. "Schools" don't fund as much as they should? You want a good football team...get some local businesses and boosters to kick in some $$$...Schools can hardly pay for textbooks and chalk...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm well aware, but for someone to say coaching in Georgia is so much different than anywhere else gets me fired up. What a load of crap.

Coaches here fund raise, stripe the field, cut their own grass, etc., etc.

He didn't say coaches in other states didn't have the same issues....he was speaking first hand of what he knew about in GA. Now, obviously, by his quote about MI, they do it a different way up there. The only states that are mentioned in his quote are GA and MI.

I spoke w/a booster today about a local county's football program and this particular high school had a TD Club annual budget last year of $300,000. The county does not contribute to this....it is strictly the boosters fund raising and all monies go toward the football program. I won't go into all that they do with the monies, but, the county only pays for a certain number of coaches ( 7, I believe) and this program has around 20 and their salaries are supplemented by the TD boosters club. I think most southern states(I'm not speaking for the whole US) and their FB coaches are in the same boat with the amount of duties they have and money raising issues.

BTW, the only reason the article was posted was in case some coaches in that area might have been interested in any of the vacancies.

Wah_Wah!!!! We ran into some Grundgy-ites this weekend at Wally World and they tolded us something very interesting. You didn't tell us that Tommy " The Gut" Cregger's cousin is the head panther at Twin Valley.