Grundy petitioning to play in LPD

hoard

This was mentioned on the LPD board a few days ago. I'm surprised no one has said anything here.

This is straight from the VHSL site.

-----------------------------------------------------------

R&R requests for modification

Eleven schools have filed requests for modification to the initial alignment plan proposed by the VHSL Redistricting and Reclassification (R&R) Committee. Each district and region that would be affected by the modification requests is asked to consider each request and advise the League office as to whether it supports or opposes the modification and the basis for the respective position. Below are the modification requests for 2009-10 and 2010-11.

Group A

Region A – Colonial Beach requests assignment to the Tidewater District rather than the Northern Neck District.

Region B – Rappahannock County requests assignment to the Shenandoah District rather than the Bull Run District.

Region C (and Region D) – John Battle requests assignment to the Hogoheegee District,

Region C, rather than the Clinch Mountain District, Region D.

Region D (and Group AA, Region IV) – Grundy requests assignment to the Lonesome

Pine District, Region D, Group A, rather than the Southwest District, Region

IV, Group AA.

Group AA

Regions I and II – No requests.

Region III – Staunton River requests assignment to the Blue Ridge District rather than the Seminole District.

(and Group AAA, Northwest Region) -- E. C. Glass requests assignment to the Seminole

District, Region III, Group AA, rather than the Western Valley District,

Northwest Region, Group AAA.

Region IV – See Grundy request for Region D (Group A) above.

Group AAA

Central and Eastern – No requests.

Northern – Fairfax requests assignment to the Liberty District rather than the Concorde

District.

Hayfield requests assignment to the National District rather than the Patriot

District.

(and Northwest) – Heritage (Loudoun) requests assignment to the Liberty District,

Northern Region, rather than the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region.

Loudoun Valley requests assignment to the Concorde District, Northern Region, rather than the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region.

Stone Bridge requests assignment to the Liberty District, Northern Region, rather than the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region.

Northwest – In addition to the three Loudoun requests above, see E. C. Glass request for Region III (Group AA) above.

Coach Rowe i herd will not play in the BDD he hates playing county rivals because he says it gets out of hand, or at least that what i herd, also since it grundy wrestling club instead of the grundy high school wrestling would it make a difference?

---------------------

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

[ QUOTE ]

Rasslin'

[/ QUOTE ]

then they should stay at AA and in the SWD until a new district can be formed with the other schools. (Graham and T Town in particular)

I'd agree with Rowe on the "out of hand" comment if that is what he said...but, it is just a better fit.

Can we get a movement going to get Twin Valley renamed "Garden" again?

[ QUOTE ]

Coach Rowe i herd will not play in the BDD he hates playing county rivals because he says it gets out of hand, or at least that what i herd, also since it grundy wrestling club instead of the grundy high school wrestling would it make a difference?

---------------------

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

since when is this coach rowe calling the shots in the lonesome pine district? grundy will not become a member of the lpd....

The BDD has no wrestling teams. Also, any given year Hurley could not have enough interest to field a football team. Council already does not have a team. With the numbers falling as fast as they are in the elementary and middle schools in the county it isnt a long shot to say that Twin Valley will suffer a huge hit in numbers in the near future, also putting a football team in doubt.

That would leave a potential 3 team district participating in football and a 1 team district for wrestling. Sure travel would be less but Grundy would benefit more from the LPD in my opinion.

Grundy could always petition to compete at AA in wrestling only couldn't they? It's been done before for various sports...i think VA High and Lee were the latest to pull that off.

[ QUOTE ]

Grundy could always petition to compete at AA in wrestling only couldn't they? It's been done before for various sports...i think VA High and Lee were the latest to pull that off.

[/ QUOTE ]

then wrestling wouldnt have to worry even if they went to the bdd since its the grundy wrestling club i think

"Wrestling Club" means nothing. Grundy High has a wrestling team that competes like all other sports teams - in a district that can lead to a state title. The club sponsors the out-of-season stuff, like Fargo (I don't know how they handle stuff like Hampton & Reno, but that's the h.s. team that competes).

The VHSL has only allowed one school that I have found to split up their sports - Loudoun (either Co. or Valley, I forget which) had a strange football-only split a couple of years ago. When Garden had wrestling, they qualified for state through the LPD tourney (I don't know how they did the regular season); but Region D wrestling was strange, anyway, since it included the Hogo.

LPD voted 100% not to allow Grundy in. Reason given was travel. As for wanting into lpd over bdd, scheduling would be easier. As for wrestling, going to either district will only give them more freedom to schedule matches all over the state and country against top flight schools. Instead of going to a district match now, they can go back to Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Nevada, California, or tidewater area and wrestle better teams. Looks as it would be a win win stituation for the wrestling team. Anyway looks like the BDD, until the rest of the district is ready to drop down and form a district in itself.

[ QUOTE ]

Reason given was travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

The travel situation is just as bad now then it would be in the LPD. We went to J.J. Kelly last year which is about a hour and 20 mins. Abington is a hour and 35 mins. Marion is a hour and 45 mins. And dont even start on Carrol County. Is it even a possibility to go to the bdd?

i agree with olewave.. its a win win for the wrestling team.. the lpd would be the best fit for football and the bdd for bball.. the rival stuff will always be there.. talk to pv and burton in the as well as pv/gate city here of late. rivalrys are a part of it. I think its alot on attitude on how some people win or lose!! Everybody has to get a handle and do whats best for the kids.. Travel wise, to me its bdd, and freedom to schedule games as you can get them, where ever you can.. Rowe might have to work harder to get some games but thats why he gets the big bucks!!!! lol

Good luck to grundy whereever they land... times definately are a changin!!

[ QUOTE ]

must be wanting to preserve everyone left in Grundy based on the amount of salt they dumped on the popcorn Thursday night

[/ QUOTE ]

that was left over from last season..