Stewart is the man! WVU names new head coach!

bhs7695

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The key for a head coach in college is to sell the program which i think he will be able to do will help get recruits there and they have fun playing . . . but i am worried due to all of the personal fouls u cant be a friend and head coach

[/ QUOTE ]

He pointed that out numerous times in each of his interviews and press conferences. I was getting very irritated with those stupid penalties.

Can someone please explain the rule about the touchback?

[/ QUOTE ]

They said it was forced into the endzone by someone on D so it was called a touchback . . . if they called it a fumble it would have been a saftey but they said he just muffed which idk but i would have loved to have saw a replay . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very interesting rule in the book if you ask me. Not because it went against WVU, but I had always thought that if the ball was out of the endzone you could not run it back in a out without it being a safety. I was very puzzled at that time.

Pat McAfee has a monster leg and that is why this is being discussed. That kid has been kicking 60+ yard rugby style punts all year. He had 2 70+ yard punts in the same game. He is the realy deal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Have u ever saw Pat in warm ups its amazing how farhe boots it . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Twice this season...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

same here UL and WMU he is something else . . . his FG kicking lately a lil off lol . . .

[ QUOTE ]

So we all jump on this guys bandwagon because he got his team ready for one game? We will see how he does when he has to get his team ready for a 12 game season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Boy, this was a premature hire if I ever did see one. West Virginia had a huge chip on their shoulder, and played to their potential, which strangely enough does not include Steve Slaton. I'd take it as a sign that him going to the NFL may not hurt West Virginia as much as many of the fans may believe.

However, the hiring may be the right one. Frankly, Terry Bowden, Bud Foster, and Butch Jones weren't the right fit for the job. Stewart definitely has knowledge of the system, and that is quite beneficial with the players in place for that offensive scheme. Frankly, if I were West Virginia's athletic director, I would have waited to evaluated Stewart more in-depth before hiring him, but hiring Stewart may pay dividends down the road.

Give him a chance. The alternatives were no better.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You are right GMAN. I think this is the right hire. Even if Stewart isn't a long term coach it will allow for better candidates when that times comes. There isn't anyone out there that I really was excited about being the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

They only head coaching experince he has ever had was at VMI where in 3 years he was a total of 8-25. He never finished 500 in his three years there. Other then that he has been a coordinator for a Div. 2 school and a small assistant coach. I dont know how you think he is the right man.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the most retarded thing I have ever read. Is there a man on earth that could make VMI a .500 team? I seriously doubt it in this day and age. They are a poor man's army, and even they suck. The objective is to keep the program at the current level, and he more than proved he could do that. The man can recruit also from what I understand, so West Virginia will be fine. The right man was hired for the job.

I'll try to remember Stewart's naysayers when WVU is a championship contender again next year.

This wasn't a knew jerk reaction, it was actually too quick to even be that. A decision was obviously made that if the team performed well against Oklahoma Stewart would be hired, and with good reason.

As even the most avid anti-WVU observer has too admit, WVU returns enough to have another shot at a national title, the last thing we need is an outsider coming in and doing things his way.

Recruiting is seen by many as the biggest challenge, but if you were were 18 and undecided, why would you not want to go to WVU after Wednesday night? Stewart's rapport with his team and the success of Mountaineer football, especially if it continues next year, will sell itself.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll try to remember Stewart's naysayers when WVU is a championship contender again next year.

This wasn't a knew jerk reaction, it was actually too quick to even be that. A decision was obviously made that if the team performed well against Oklahoma Stewart would be hired, and with good reason.

As even the most avid anti-WVU observer has too admit, WVU returns enough to have another shot at a national title, the last thing we need is an outsider coming in and doing things his way.

Recruiting is seen by many as the biggest challenge, but if you were were 18 and undecided, why would you not want to go to WVU after Wednesday night? Stewart's rapport with his team and the success of Mountaineer football, especially if it continues next year, will sell itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree 100%...

id say the biggest challenge next year is the offense. Stewart doesnt coach offense at all and the offensive cooridnator is going with Rich to Michigan. So in hiring Stewart they still need to look for someone to run an offense which puts them in jeopardy of ending up with someone who doesnt do spread. If they do get someone who runs something other than spread option, it will be a very tough year for WVU. WVU had central michigan's coach, a spread option coach, lined up for the job but didnt take him so now they STILL are going to have to search for someone to run the offense.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So its not even national signing day yet for the 2008 season and were already saying this coach is going to have team to compete for a national title when he has never been a head coach or a coordinator for Div 1 football. But then again they will probely make a BCS game i mean its the Big East.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So its not even national signing day yet for the 2008 season and were already saying this coach is going to have team to compete for a national title when he has never been a head coach or a coordinator for Div 1 football. But then again they will probely make a BCS game i mean its the Big East.

[/ QUOTE ]

An obvious biased opinion on your part.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can anybody from the ACC even talk about the Big East.Like I said before: WVU alone has more BCS wins than the whole ACC combined.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can anybody from the ACC even talk about the Big East.Like I said before: WVU alone has more BCS wins than the whole ACC combined.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually that is not completely true.. yes the ACC representatives for each year have only 1 win, but the combined records of the 3 new teams to join the ACC was 3-3. So really the ACC has more wins than just 1 if you look at the teams in the ACC...

NOTE: those three teams were brought in to make the ACC a more competitive football conference. Before then the ACC was strictly a basketball conference, so the years before their induction is not the same as to the ACC now.

Please also understand that twice former Big East teams (now ACC) beat long time ACC members.

also, The ACC representative has been in the Nat Championship 3 times, big east 3 as well. HOWEVER, all three appearances for the big east were by miami and VT. Therefore, the current ACC has 6 appearances, Big East ZERO.

So really that stat of 1-9 or whatever is really misleading because of the shift of Miami especially but also VT and BC. I do understand that miami has been down, but we still have to consider that most of the big east's sucess prior to the last three years was by miami and VT.

How many BCS games did VT play in before going to the ACC? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was just one(1999)? And a couple of years before departing to the ACC VT finished no better than second or third in the Big East,so don't act like VT was the backbone of the Big East.Miami yes but not VT.When VT won the ACC championship game their first year in the ACC it was said that a team that could only finish 4th in the Big East the year before can win the ACC title.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

How many BCS games did VT play in before going to the ACC? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was just one(1999)? And a couple of years before departing to the ACC VT finished no better than second or third in the Big East,so don't act like VT was the backbone of the Big East.Miami yes but not VT.When VT won the ACC championship game their first year in the ACC it was said that a team that could only finish 4th in the Big East the year before can win the ACC title.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i dont think you read my posts correctly at all... here is what i said about the transfer of the three teams...

[ QUOTE ]

So really that stat of 1-9 or whatever is really misleading because of the shift of Miami especially but also VT and BC.

[/ QUOTE ]

and also Maybe VT did finish fourth in the bigeast the year before they won the ACC for the first time, however feast your eyes on this stat:

During the 13 years the big east crowned a champion before the split, miami won it 7 times, VT 3, syracuse 2, WVU 1. So pretty much tech won it once every 4 years. BTW the only one wvu had was in 1993, and it took them 12 years and the departure of 3 teams for them to win it again.

and lastly, i love when people talk sports when they dont even know what they are talking about... case in point...

[ QUOTE ]

.When VT won the ACC championship game their first year in the ACC it was said that a team that could only finish 4th in the Big East the year before can win the ACC title.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not even gonna argue who said it takes a 4th place team in the big east to win the ACC, but the fact that There wasnt even a ACC championship game then to rule this statement void. Also im pretty sure VT beat the conference champions that year in the big east, miami 31-7.

Lets not forget the conference champion for the last 4 years went to the ACC WITH tech... so the big east champion for 4 straight years (tech won the last one before the 4) goes to the ACC and all of a sudden they stink and it makes it easier for tech to beat miami and win the conference??? doesnt make sense...

and also the next year in 2004, the "big 3" left and then Pitt won the Big East with conference losses to UCONN and 'CUSE. They then went on to get their butts kicked in a BCS bowl by UTAH.

Fact of the matter is, VT and Miami combined for 10 of 13 championships. i think its fair to say they dominated the big east...

no team dominated the big east like Miami did in their late time there. VT was good, and the VT/Miami game was always looked forward too, but Miami was in a league of their own for a long time there. They had two close run ins (once against WVU where "soldier" won the game, and another time against BC when they recovered a fumble to score the winning td). Miami owned every bit of the big east for a while.

I dont blame Miamis downfall on transfering to the ACC though. They have gotten some great recruits in the past few years but all of them have seemed just completely disappoint everyone. Every recruit except for the Philipps', Cambell and Beason have disappointed. I can strictly remember Tyrone Moss coming into Miami with all the hype in the world. He got there and knew that he was gonna have to play behind Gore for a little but then when he was gone, it was Tyrones chance to shine but he threw it all away when he got lazy and fat. I believe the resurection of UM football is coming though in the next 2-3 seasons.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

once against WVU where "soldier" won the game...

[/ QUOTE ]

what a catch!!! K2 was a force back then... that was a great game altogether...

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the resurection of UM football is coming though in the next 2-3 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too. Randy Shannon is a good coach for Miami and I believe once they get all of his players in his system (particularly a reliable quarterback) then, as much as I hate to say this, the "U" will be back on the map...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like Va Tech or anybody from the ACC there pal im a SEC boy

Valid points,but the fact remains that you VT fans think that college football would not survive without your existence when in fact VT has fared no better then WV.

BCS Victories:WV 2-0

VT 0-3

I liked how you VT fans thought that Kansas was not a worthy opponent and should not have even been on the same field as you and if you don't believe me then check out the Tech boards BEFORE the Orange Bowl and even now you guys are saying that VT was still the better team.You fans need to realise that VT and WVU are still considered second tier teams to most of the major college powers.Until one of us wins a national championship we will not get the respect that we want or deserve.

[ QUOTE ]

I liked how you VT fans thought that Kansas was not a worthy opponent and should not have even been on the same field as you and if you don't believe me then check out the Tech boards BEFORE the Orange Bowl and even now you guys are saying that VT was still the better team.You fans need to realise that VT and WVU are still considered second tier teams to most of the major college powers.Until one of us wins a national championship we will not get the respect that we want or deserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest with you, it wasn't just Tech fans that believed they would would roll over Kansas. It was the major media, also. Virginia Tech was arguably one of the hottest teams going into bowl season, and was playing great football at the time. Their defense was averaging just over 15 points a game, that including the 48 points given up in the LSU massacre. Prior to the Orange Bowl, not just Tech fans, but the whole nation, all believed that Kansas was not worthy of a BCS bowl game. Kansas was a good team and proved both Hokie fans and the whole country that they belonged. As a Hokie fan, I do believe Virginia Tech was the better team going into the game but in my opinion they were out played and, most importantly, out coached.

Not only VT fans, but you WVU fans also, need to realize that we are both still second-tier teams to a lot of college football programs. Virginia Tech needs to break through the glass ceiling and finally capitalize on their BCS bowls if they ever want a shot at a national championship and WVU must continue their conference dominance and eliminate their mid-season performances where they actually play and not just show up.

As nice as BCS bowls are, and even BCS bowl victories, they really do not establish you as top of the notch programs. You need to contend for national championships instead.