Stewart is the man! WVU names new head coach!

bhs7695

Stewart named WVU coach

By Dave Hickman

Staff writer

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – As Bill Stewart walked back to West Virginia’s locker room early this morning from the post-Fiesta Bowl press conference it was relayed to him that WVU president Mike Garrison had said a few minutes earlier that he was willing to talk to Stewart about the school’s vacant head coaching position “anytime and anywhere he wants to talk.’’

Without hesitation, Stewart said that “if he’s serious I’ll talk anytime and anywhere.’’

The time and place was apparently then and there.

Only hours after Stewart had guided the No. 11 Mountaineers to a 48-28 rout of No. 3 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, school officials met with him about becoming the successor to Rich Rodriguez. And according to multiple sources, today’s 11 a.m. (EST) press conference that school officials hastily announced in the middle of the night is to officially introduce Stewart as the Mountaineers’ new coach.

After 2 1/2 weeks of interviewing candidates and bringing in consultants to expand the field, the school will wind up hiring someone who was right under their noses from the start.

“He needs that job,’’ West Virginia quarterback and Fiesta Bowl offensive MVP Pat White said in the moments following Wednesday night’s win. “He deserves it, the head coaching job.

"[He’s a] great man, great coach. All the players respect him and love him. Couldn't ask for a better man to lead us to victory today.’’

Garrison, speaking to reporters outside the team’s locker room early this morning, would only say that the search would be completed very quickly and said that Stewart was certainly a viable candidate.

“He's been a solidifying force,’’ Garrison said. “What he's done here can’t be overlooked.’’

Stewart was named the team’s interim head coach almost by default in the hours following Rodriguez’s abrupt resignation to become the coach at Michigan on Dec. 16. In fact, it wasn’t until several days after Rodriguez’s announcement that the school officially named him to the post.

While university officials scrambled to make sense of Rodriguez’s departure and his odd resignation date of Jan. 3 (he later amended it to take effect on Dec. 19), Stewart took control and ran practices with the rest of the remaining coaches with virtually no contact from school administrators.

And while the university spent more than two weeks interviewing candidates like Florida recruiting coordinator Doc Holliday, former Auburn coach Terry Bowden and Central Michigan coach Butch Jones – as well as back-channel negotiations with Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher – Stewart was never so much as asked if he wanted a formal interview. His chances of becoming the permanent coach appeared slim.

That all changed Wednesday night when he guided the Mountaineers to a stunning and one-sided win over a team many thought was the best in the country.

He managed to take a group of players who had been stunned and shocked by Rodriguez’s departure – not to mention a disheartening 13-9 loss to Pitt two weeks earlier that eliminated them from the national championship hunt – and got them to play loose and free-wheeling on one of the biggest stages in college football, a Bowl Championship Series game telecast in prime time.

Afterward, Stewart refused to lobby for the job.

“I have not, will not politic for the job,’’ Stewart said. “I have not been interviewed for the job and whatever decision those gentlemen and the committee decide, I'm with them. Understand that I am with them. I am a native West Virginian. And it is a special place. It is a special time.’’

Stewart, 55, has been a West Virginia assistant coach since 2000 when he was hired by Don Nehlen. He was one of the few assistant coaches retained by Rodriguez when he replaced Nehlen before the 2001 season.

A native of New Martinsville and a Fairmont State graduate, Stewart has coached at nearly a dozen colleges and Canadian professional teams in his 33 years as a coach. His only previous head coaching job was at Virginia Military Institute from 1994 to 1996, where he was 8-25 in three seasons.

He was the quarterbacks coach for Rodriguez during most of his tenure at WVU, then moved to coach tight ends and fullbacks this season when several assistant coaches left and Rodriguez revamped the staff. He was also named the associated head coach.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WVU is making a big mistake in my opinion. They're basing a major decision on a single game, a decision which could affect them for years to come. It leads me to believe that their AD has no idea what he's doing when he pretty much throws the entire hiring process and progress to this point out the window because of a single game.

I would be worried if I were a WVU fan.

Guest JJBrickface

He is a good man for the job. He is the anti-Rodriguez, he loves West Virginia and he knows how to coach.

Its a good fit now for West Virginia because they can maintain for the most part there staff that was going to be out of a job. All the players will feel comfortable with him and not have to worry about a new guy coming in.

[ QUOTE ]

I think if they would have waited longer they could have got a bigger name coach

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you REALLY believe that? I'm not trying to demean WVU but Nick Saban wasn't knocking the door down to coach in Morgantown.

Their choices were a fat, drunk who hasn't coached in six or seven seasons, a mid-major head coach with one year head coaching experience, and two assistant coaches with no head coaching experience...none of which were currently in the system at WVU.

Stewart has been at WVU since Nehlen was there. He's coached twelve different teams either as an assistant or head coach, of which he has three years experience as. He was already familiar with the system and the players and it seems that all the players are in favor of him getting the head coaching position. Also, he took control of things in the WVU program when the wheels came off and RR bolted for Michicken in spite of the University not naming anyone to be in charge during bowl game preparations.

I said last night at the beginning of the game, WVU already has their head coach in their system, they just have to realize it...well, they did, and they made the right choice for the position.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Here are my questions about the hire...

Why did WVU hire a consulting firm a short time ago to end up hiring stewart?

Did WVU make an on he spot decision after the game? It seemed so with the conversation with pat forde...

Is Stewart a proven recruiter? He has proven he can win a big game, but can he recruit? He did win the game with RRods players... Can he establish a recruiting class to continue what WVU has done the last 3 years?

Honestly, i think Stewart is a great guy, proudly from WV, and seems to have the support of the players... but what he will do in the next few years will either move this team up to a top tier program, or send it back to mediocracy...it will be interesting for sure.

Guest JJBrickface

You are right GMAN. I think this is the right hire. Even if Stewart isn't a long term coach it will allow for better candidates when that times comes. There isn't anyone out there that I really was excited about being the coach.

As a biased observer last night against West Virginia, I actually commend Bill Stewart for the integrity he showed on the field last night. Lots of interim coaches fold under the pressure of coaching big games like that and do not really put forth their full effort out there because they know chances are it won't be their job. In my opinion, none of that can be said for Stewart. I don't think that there are any cases in the country where another team could rally around a coach like that and make it a happy ending.

Whether Stewart has the edge in recruiting and the ability to bring in the firepower as Rodriguez did is still in question, but I think that he will bring integrity and a little more respect to the West Virginia football program throughout the country. Hopefully it will carry from the football field into the stands, and get rid of the lasting impression the whole nation has on West Virginia. For what it's worth, I think that WVU had the best candidate for job with them the whole time.

"G"....another one of your genius moments, right on w/your assessment. Stewart did more for WVU last night than just win.....he showed all potential recruits how he, a class act, can take a reeling football team and return the focus to what it was during mid-season. This is a plus, plus as a recruiting tool.. seeing such a classy coach, the respect shown by his players and such an overwhelming determination by ALL to win this game. Stewart is the right man for the WVU program at THIS time.

[ QUOTE ]

WVU is making a big mistake in my opinion. They're basing a major decision on a single game, a decision which could affect them for years to come. It leads me to believe that their AD has no idea what he's doing when he pretty much throws the entire hiring process and progress to this point out the window because of a single game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not worried... you are so blinded by your hatred for wvu that you never have anything positive to say....

It's good to see a major program like West Virginia step up to the plate and hire from within...very refreshing. I hope coach Stewart is successful. He loves West Virginia, and the players and coaches all seem to love him back. Congratulations to one of the "good guys".

As far as Stewart goes, I am not worried... I am very excited. This guy LOVES WVU, he loves the State of West Virginia, he loves the players, the players love him. c'mon, on a national stage last night that the whole country was watching, Pat White on behalf of the team endorsed him.... what does this say???? Good for team togetherness, recruiting... this is exciting, and in Stewart's words, "It's a great day to ba Mountaineer!!"

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This decide to me is based on the last 3 or so weeks he held this team together and focused thru a very tough situation. Wvu could of packed it in after RR left but didn't so you have to at least give some credit for that.

wvuraiders

Pee Wee League

Reged: 07/19/04

Loc: Ghent Bill Stewart is all that is right in college athletics.

#136710 - 01/03/08 11:40 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I am an avid mountaineer fan and will always be one no matter what? Today's decision to hire Bill Stewart was a great decision in my opinion. In a society where nothing is taught, wvu showed class and hired a fine football coach and man. Bill Stewart said during his press conference your looking at my agent...I man not in it for the money but for the pride of being a head football coach of his state. I truly like this man and the types of student athletes wvu has started to obtain...Ken Kendrick is the big donor, actually from our area Princeton...He is all that is wrong in sports...people say hiring stewart is a disgrace no it is an honor...Do donors help college programs without a doubt...and yes they have power, but I applaud the athletic dept for this fine hire...We may win we may not but this time we have a honorable man leading our team...

Its a great day to be a Mountaineer!!!!

--------------------

Flat Top Player

[ QUOTE ]

You are right GMAN. I think this is the right hire. Even if Stewart isn't a long term coach it will allow for better candidates when that times comes. There isn't anyone out there that I really was excited about being the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

They only head coaching experince he has ever had was at VMI where in 3 years he was a total of 8-25. He never finished 500 in his three years there. Other then that he has been a coordinator for a Div. 2 school and a small assistant coach. I dont know how you think he is the right man.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They only head coaching experince he has ever had was at VMI where in 3 years he was a total of 8-25. He never finished 500 in his three years there. Other then that he has been a coordinator for a Div. 2 school and a small assistant coach. I dont know how you think he is the right man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody has ever been .500 at VMI. Winning eight games in three years is an accomplishment.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is the right choice because he took a team torn by disappointment and losing their head coach, and turned them into Fiesta Bowl Champions. No one but WV gave these boys a chance and they came out and showed the US that WV football is for real. It takes a strong man to pull a team back together and overcome huge odds to win this game. Bill Stewart is a great family man and knows how to turn these boys into good young men and how to teach them to come together to play a football game.

His biggest challenge I think will be finding an offensive coordinator that can run the spread. We will have to wait and see what he can do.

GO EERS!!!!

The key for a head coach in college is to sell the program which i think he will be able to do will help get recruits there and they have fun playing . . . but i am worried due to all of the personal fouls u cant be a friend and head coach

[ QUOTE ]

The key for a head coach in college is to sell the program which i think he will be able to do will help get recruits there and they have fun playing . . . but i am worried due to all of the personal fouls u cant be a friend and head coach

[/ QUOTE ]

He pointed that out numerous times in each of his interviews and press conferences. I was getting very irritated with those stupid penalties.

Can someone please explain the rule about the touchback?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He pointed that out numerous times in each of his interviews and press conferences. I was getting very irritated with those stupid penalties.

Can someone please explain the rule about the touchback?

[/ QUOTE ]

They said it was forced into the endzone by someone on D so it was called a touchback . . . if they called it a fumble it would have been a saftey but they said he just muffed which idk but i would have loved to have saw a replay . . .