School Board Considering Closing Pocahontas....

stubbycurrence

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Pocahontas needs to be shut down. Do they even have 100 students in the school? No offense to anyone at Pocahontas or any students but like said before paying taxes to keep it open is stupid. Shut it down and let them decide where they would like to go to school at. If they want sports Graham or Richlands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that makes sense...send them an hour down the road to Richlands.

Since you all know so much, how much would it save the county if they shut down Pocahonats? They would still have to place all of the teachers in other positions...or would they just let them all go and let all of them be jobless. Then the cost of transporting the students all the way form Abbs Valley to either Graham or Tazewell wouldnt be cheap either. You all act like you know so much about the finances of Pocahonatas High School and TCSB...so how much would it save? I'd say shut down Tazewell and ship them to Graham or Richlands... That would save a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been numerous independent studies done on this and all have come back saying to shut down Pocahontas. The TCSB just can't pull the trigger. The numbers have been crunched many times, and all the crunching indicates it would be cheaper to send the kids to Graham and Tazewell instead of keeping Pocy open. The school is nothing but a drain on the taxpayers of Tazewell Co. The TCSB needs to grow a pair and do what's right for the entire county, not 100 or so kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these studies? I am not saying it wouldnt be cheaper...but how much are we talking here. Where did you see these studies...I want some proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof? Try reading the paper over the past dozen years or so.

The cost to heat the school, electrical costs Maintenance Staff...Administrators....there's a $million or more saved...(per year) right there.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Pocahontas needs to be shut down. Do they even have 100 students in the school? No offense to anyone at Pocahontas or any students but like said before paying taxes to keep it open is stupid. Shut it down and let them decide where they would like to go to school at. If they want sports Graham or Richlands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you all know so much, how much would it save the county if they shut down Pocahonats? They would still have to place all of the teachers in other positions...or would they just let them all go and let all of them be jobless. Then the cost of transporting the students all the way form Abbs Valley to either Graham or Tazewell wouldnt be cheap either. You all act like you know so much about the finances of Pocahonatas High School and TCSB...so how much would it save? I'd say shut down Tazewell and ship them to Graham or Richlands... That would save a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been numerous independent studies done on this and all have come back saying to shut down Pocahontas. The TCSB just can't pull the trigger. The numbers have been crunched many times, and all the crunching indicates it would be cheaper to send the kids to Graham and Tazewell instead of keeping Pocy open. The school is nothing but a drain on the taxpayers of Tazewell Co. The TCSB needs to grow a pair and do what's right for the entire county, not 100 or so kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are these studies? I am not saying it wouldnt be cheaper...but how much are we talking here. Where did you see these studies...I want some proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cost to heat the school, electrical costs Maintenance Staff...Administrators....there's a $million or more saved...(per year) right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it would be more than $1 million to pay for the things you just listed. There is one Principal (no assistant) and maybe two janitors. That is at the most $120-$150,000. So you are saying it costs $850,000 a year to heat and power a high school. I think your math may be a little off. It probably is expensive to heat the school...but that is only for 5 months of the year...the rest of the time the heat is off and there is no AC, so it cant be that much. With you math the heat/electric bill would be $70,833.33...(per month) right there.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it would be more than $1 million to pay for the things you just listed. There is one Principal (no assistant) and maybe two janitors. That is at the most $120-$150,000. So you are saying it costs $850,000 a year to heat and power a high school. I think your math may be a little off. It probably is expensive to heat the school...but that is only for 5 months of the year...the rest of the time the heat is off and there is no AC, so it cant be that much. With you math the heat/electric bill would be $70,833.33...(per month) right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't underestimate how much schools pay for electiricity and heat, I think you would be suprised how much it costs to run one of those buildings. Also, don't forgot about insurance, especially liability insurance...all of which is astrnomical nowadays. There are many more expenses than just paying the principal and the janitors.

I've seen the cost to keep Pocahontas open as high as $1,000,000/year in one report. Most others have been between $750,000 and $850,000 annually. If I remember correctly, the last proposal to close Pocahontas listed the savings to Tazewell Co. close to $700,000/year.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't underestimate how much schools pay for electiricity and heat, I think you would be suprised how much it costs to run one of those buildings. Also, don't forgot about insurance, especially liability insurance...all of which is astrnomical nowadays. There are many more expenses than just paying the principal and the janitors.

I've seen the cost to keep Pocahontas open as high as $1,000,000/year in one report. Most others have been between $750,000 and $850,000 annually. If I remember correctly, the last proposal to close Pocahontas listed the savings to Tazewell Co. close to $700,000/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally some real numbers... I am not doubting that it costs that much to keep the school open. I was just disputing the fact that futbolking said it cost over $1million to pay the electric bill and a couple of the faculty. I know it isn’t cheap but $70,000+ a month...come on. I just really like the school over there...and before you say it...I know that is no reason to keep the school open. But there is honestly nothing else there, and it would devastate a lot of people to see the school closed. Again, I know that is no reason to keep it open...but I’m just saying. How about we just close Tazewell and divvy them up between Richlands, Graham, and Pocahontas? That would save a lot more money, I’m sure wink.gif I also think closing the school would be better for the students there in the long run, because they would have more opportunities at some of the other schools in the county. But, I still don’t look for the school to be closed down anytime soon.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll quote myself here... when I say electrical costs...(That doesn't include just heating...Maintenence staff...includes more than just two janitors...Administrators...includes a variety of people...not just the principal...I was painting the picture with a broad brush, in other words...I'd say the county would save well over $1,000,000 per year to shut that school down. No offense, I love Pocy...but you got to look at the greater good of the county.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll quote myself here... when I say electrical costs...(That doesn't include just heating...Maintenence staff...includes more than just two janitors...Administrators...includes a variety of people...not just the principal...I was painting the picture with a broad brush, in other words...I'd say the county would save well over $1,000,000 per year to shut that school down. No offense, I love Pocy...but you got to look at the greater good of the county.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont get me wrong here...I would be dumb to think that it wouldnt save the county a lot of money to shut down Pocahontas. I was just playing devils advocate, and besides no one ever talks about how much money it would save. Your original message made it sound like the county would save millions of dollars. I would guess that they would save around $500-$600,000 per year. That is based on the info that Gman provided that it costs around $800,000 just to keep the school running. So there is no way they are going to save more than it costs to run the school.

[ QUOTE ]

Tear it down and turn it into a Tazewell County museum! bring in some tourism.. Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way the prison was supposed to bring in all these new people to the community...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Tear it down and turn it into a Tazewell County museum! bring in some tourism.. Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way the prison was supposed to bring in all these new people to the community...

[/ QUOTE ]

It will in about 5-10 years when they release some of the inmates. haha

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they didn't really lie about all the new people coming into the community...they just didn't explain to everyone that all those new people would be residents at the prison...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they didn't really lie about all the new people coming into the community...they just didn't explain to everyone that all those new people would be residents at the prison...

[/ QUOTE ]

If they allow conjugal (sp?) visits...then maybe enrollment will go up?

Electrical Services –PHS $ 31,190.20

Coal, Gas, Oil-PHS $ 18,411.14

Water and Sewer Services – PHS $ 19,065.27

Total $ 68,666.61

Total cost of PHS to school board yearly $ 1,775,293.41.

Most of the cost to operate the school comes from Instructional costs. Of these monies most will transfer along with the students to what ever school they are sent to.

The cost to the county and taxpayers should not be the determining factor (Based on these figures from the approved budget)in closing the school. The real question is "Are the students at PHS exposed to the same level of standards and same oppurtunities as students in the other 3 schools?" Male sports at PHS are suffering and will soon cease due to the lack of enrolled male students. There are barely enough to field a basketball team.

[ QUOTE ]

Total $ 68,666.61

Most of the cost to operate the school comes from Instructional costs. Of these monies most will transfer along with the students to what ever school they are sent to.

The cost to the county and taxpayers should not be the determining factor (Based on these figures from the approved budget)in closing the school. The real question is "Are the students at PHS exposed to the same level of standards and same oppurtunities as students in the other 3 schools?" Male sports at PHS are suffering and will soon cease due to the lack of enrolled male students. There are barely enough to field a basketball team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for those figures. I agree that the main issue here isnt the money...it is the opportunities for the kids. Besides, the county recieves the money to run the schools from the state. So if they close Pocahontas then the state will likely cut some of the money that is given to the county to run the school systems. Do you think you will get a tax break just because the state stops giving Tazewell County some money?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Total $ 68,666.61

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for those figures. I agree that the main issue here isnt the money...it is the opportunities for the kids. Besides, the county recieves the money to run the schools from the state. So if they close Pocahontas then the state will likely cut some of the money that is given to the county to run the school systems. Do you think you will get a tax break just because the state stops giving Tazewell County some money?

[/ QUOTE ]

the county recieves a portion of the money to run the schools from the state. most of the school money comes from local taxes. So yes.... you are paying to keep a dying school open.

I think the hard part would be for the town to see the school closed, but I don't believe anyone there would object to their child having access to more educational opportunities and sports programs. The school could possibly be used in some capacity as a community facility.

Pocahontas already has had success in that area when they retooled the old mines into the Pocahontas Exhibition Mine.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Total $ 68,666.61

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the county recieves a portion of the money to run the schools from the state. most of the school money comes from local taxes. So yes.... you are paying to keep a dying school open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...but not the millions of dollars that some would lead us to believe.

Two minor details to add to the discussion:

1) State funding for education is allocated through a formula based on school age children in the county. So whether Pocy stays open or closes doesn't change the amount of $$$ coming from the state.

2) The total approved for schools in the 2007-08 budget is $60,091,598. The Supervisors approved a local share of $11,782,812. The rest comes from Richmond. The numbers came from BOS minutes.

[ QUOTE ]

1) State funding for education is allocated through a formula based on school age children in the county. So whether Pocy stays open or closes doesn't change the amount of $$$ coming from the state.

2) The total approved for schools in the 2007-08 budget is $60,091,598. The Supervisors approved a local share of $11,782,812. The rest comes from Richmond. The numbers came from BOS minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know those facts...thanks for sharing those.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know those facts...thanks for sharing those.

[/ QUOTE ]

quality info my man. thanks.

Wouldn't it be easier now to get buses from Abbs Valley/Pocahontas to Graham since they have that new road open that was originally put in for the prison. I know at this moment its closed because of a rock slide but when it is open doesn't it make it quicker and easier to get to bluefield then?