Fred Thompson dropping from republican ballot

CAVALIERS2

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

quick fact: between 1940 and 1970 was the industrial rev. during that time CO2 emissions shot up, in turn we would expect the temp to go up to right? wrong. It didnt go up, it didnt stay the same. it went down.) he wants to increase taxes on those who have a large "carbon footprint" lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find this "fact"? I would be interested in reading the article that this came from.

[/ QUOTE ]

its in a book. once i can find a scanner ill put it on here...

and ive found numerous articles talking about the time period from 1940-1970, but it doeesnt do it justice without the graph...

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the name of the book? Ill see if I can find it here in the library...

[/ QUOTE ]

state of fear by michael crichton.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

quick fact: between 1940 and 1970 was the industrial rev. during that time CO2 emissions shot up, in turn we would expect the temp to go up to right? wrong. It didnt go up, it didnt stay the same. it went down.) he wants to increase taxes on those who have a large "carbon footprint" lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find this "fact"? I would be interested in reading the article that this came from.

[/ QUOTE ]

and ive found numerous articles talking about the time period from 1940-1970, but it doeesnt do it justice without the graph...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt find the book, but did find some onformation on the contents of the book. I havent read the book so I cant say to much about it. However, I did find a website that refutes some of the "facts" that Crichton uses in his novel. Of course both of our sources are probably bias and it is obvious that anyone can take any of this data and use it to support their arguments, so take this for what it's worth.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt find the book, but did find some onformation on the contents of the book. I havent read the book so I cant say to much about it. However, I did find a website that refutes some of the "facts" that Crichton uses in his novel. Of course both of our sources are probably bias and it is obvious that anyone can take any of this data and use it to support their arguments, so take this for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. the sad thing is that politics and goverment spending play such a big role in science...

i saw the graph too on Glen Becks, a inconvienent truth, you should check it out...

I think that we do have an adverse affect on the environment. It is just hard for me to believe that emitting tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, that shouldn’t be there, has to have some sort of effect on the environment. While I do believe most of the data that is collected by scientist is legit, it is the people with no scientific background, such as Al Gore and Michael Crichton, who take the data and manipulate it in order to fill their own agenda. The numbers can’t lie, but the people that publish them can make them say anything they want them to. While I do tend to side with Al Gore’s point of view...I still don’t like the joker. He can set there and tell everyone to quit driving cars and such but then his "carbon footprint" is bigger than everyone on this board's combined (kind of hypocritical if you ask me.) The way I see it is, if global warming is indeed a fact and is really caused by CO2 emission then there is absolutely no way that we as a country, or a world even, will be able to make the changes necessary to counteract the damage already inflicted. Making all of the necessary changes costs a lot of money. Most of the people that can afford to "Go Green" are too spoiled or they just don’t care enough to make the changes, and then you have everyone else that couldn’t afford it even if they wanted to.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I think that we do have an adverse affect on the environment. It is just hard for me to believe that emitting tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, that shouldn’t be there, has to have some sort of effect on the environment. While I do believe most of the data that is collected by scientist is legit, it is the people with no scientific background, such as Al Gore and Michael Crichton, who take the data and manipulate it in order to fill their own agenda. The numbers can’t lie, but the people that publish them can make them say anything they want them to. While I do tend to side with Al Gore’s point of view...I still don’t like the joker. He can set there and tell everyone to quit driving cars and such but then his "carbon footprint" is bigger than everyone on this board's combined (kind of hypocritical if you ask me.) The way I see it is, if global warming is indeed a fact and is really caused by CO2 emission then there is absolutely no way that we as a country, or a world even, will be able to make the changes necessary to counteract the damage already inflicted. Making all of the necessary changes costs a lot of money. Most of the people that can afford to "Go Green" are too spoiled or they just don’t care enough to make the changes, and then you have everyone else that couldn’t afford it even if they wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing that is bothering me about the situation is that there are still a lot of questions lingering around the subject and yet some people in the goverment just want to throw millions of dollars out there to prevent it, when they really dont know what is happening. for example, i once read a study (the location im not sure of) that said the atmosphere was warming slower than the ground. That realy turned my head for the first time, because with all the CO2 in the air I figured it would surely warm faster than the ground. I also think that the amount of people, is affecting the temperature. In many large cities, such as NYC the temp has gone up more than places in WV...

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't a fan of Romney either, but I think he could have done wonders with the economy. He has been in Fortune-500 businesses all his life and would have been a good leader.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being disrespectful....so, has Bob Nardelli, former Home Depot, CEO,(with Chrysler now) and he made a mess of that whole operation . He came out of that situation with his pockets lined for life. Being the leader of a large corporation is no guarantee of success.

I will agree with this, Romney, was/is smart enough to know he was throwing good money (his own) down the drain and saw the futility of that....at least he's a good gambler and knew when to fold 'em. Also, had to be disheartening to see that Huckabee was managing to win states on a shoestring budget.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, have Rush on your side doesnt help matters. We all know the credit that will get you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Huckabee is endorsed by Chuck Norris, so that should be automatic presidency...

that or automatic credibility. I mean youre being endorsed by the badass of them all, so im sure Huckabee is feared by every politician. Good thing this isnt a brawl that decides the presidential election cause id put my money on the combo of Huckabee/Norris.

That is the reason Romney decided to suspend his campaign. Norris threatened his life if he didn't do so. Don't be surprised if McCain suspends his campaign here in the near future...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly man did irreversable damage to the environment when Adam and Eve failed to understand the concept of "DO NOT EAT OF THAT TREE" we've paid the price ever-since, and the environment of just part of that price.

As far as global warming, it's happened over the past 100 or so years for sure, but I don't think it's at all a new thing. Anyone who takes 2 minutes to study earth history knows that there used to be glaciers probably less than 100 miles from WV, so the warning and melting of the poles is what I believe to be the continuation of a process that never stopped after the flood of Noah.

Even if you didn't have all the artificial pollutants, global warming would still happen. Many volcanic eruptions take place every decade that equal or exceed all of the worldwide air pollutions for several years time. The world will eventually end, whether we burn oil or not. I can't remember it right off, but there's a verse in I or II Peter that prophecys many people in this current debate "professing themsleves to be wise, they became fools".

And if so many in politics or so concerned with "going green", perhaps they shouldn't be cruising aroung so much in their private jets which burn vastly more fuel than even the biggest cars on the road.

The whole environmental movement IMO is another excuse for the government to regulate and control our lives, and it's disappointing to see so many otherwise highly intelligent people fall for it. I do think we should get away from non-reusable and fossil fuels, it's a major risk to national security and the economy that has to be fixed.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunatly man did irreversable damage to the environment when Adam and Eve failed to understand the concept of "DO NOT EAT OF THAT TREE" we've paid the price ever-since, and the environment of just part of that price.

As far as global warming, it's happened over the past 100 or so years for sure, but I don't think it's at all a new thing. Anyone who takes 2 minutes to study earth history knows that there used to be glaciers probably less than 100 miles from WV, so the warning and melting of the poles is what I believe to be the continuation of a process that never stopped after the flood of Noah.

Even if you didn't have all the artificial pollutants, global warming would still happen. Many volcanic eruptions take place every decade that equal or exceed all of the worldwide air pollutions for several years time. The world will eventually end, whether we burn oil or not. I can't remember it right off, but there's a verse in I or II Peter that prophecys many people in this current debate "professing themsleves to be wise, they became fools".

And if so many in politics or so concerned with "going green", perhaps they shouldn't be cruising aroung so much in their private jets which burn vastly more fuel than even the biggest cars on the road.

The whole environmental movement IMO is another excuse for the government to regulate and control our lives, and it's disappointing to see so many otherwise highly intelligent people fall for it. I do think we should get away from non-reusable and fossil fuels, it's a major risk to national security and the economy that has to be fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I can't remember it right off, but there's a verse in I or II Peter that prophecys many people in this current debate "professing themsleves to be wise, they became fools".

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...but the people professing themselves to be wise enough not to believe global warming (usually with very litle knowlege on the subject) are not fools? It's always funny how things only go one way for some people.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that logic then why worry about anything? Why worry about the economy or national security...isnt it all "just part of the price"?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With that logic then why worry about anything? Why worry about the economy or national security...isnt it all "just part of the price"?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is said never argue/discuss politics or religion....but, it is never said you can't state your thoughts. Mavs is lead by his faith in the Bible foretelling of many of these things we are now experiencing in the world. The Christian faith is the common thread coursing through a believer's soul and mind in how we view daily events on this earth. He's just stating as most Christians do that we believe these things will happen.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't be good stewards of the earth .....absolutely not. I recycle, I try to conserve water, esp. here in ATL and do my part.

I respect your right to state your thoughts and you're a "pretty smart cookie" evident by your postings. It affords we less intellects (speaking strictly for myself) some good reads w/o us having to do the lookups.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is said never argue/discuss politics or religion....but, it is never said you can't state your thoughts. Mavs is lead by his faith in the Bible foretelling of many of these things we are now experiencing in the world. The Christian faith is the common thread coursing through a believer's soul and mind in how we view daily events on this earth. He's just stating as most Christians do that we believe these things will happen.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't be good stewards of the earth .....absolutely not. I recycle, I try to conserve water, esp. here in ATL and do my part.

I respect your right to state your thoughts and you're a "pretty smart cookie" evident by your postings. It affords we less intellects (speaking strictly for myself) some good reads w/o us having to do the lookups.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I too was just stating my opinion. However, my thoughts on this subject have not been influenced by my political views or my religious beliefs. That is actually my point about this subject. I think everyone’s political and religious views are making them, and others, have predisposed notions of what they should believe, rather than actually reading some scientific literature and forming and opinion themselves. And not just going with what the first preacher or candidate says. I am not saying you all are doing this...but let’s be honest; most people know what they believe about this subject without knowing diddly-squat about it.

As to why Mitt quit, I suspect that the $45 million of his kids inheritance may have played a role. I heard this morning that 40% of his campaign funds came from his own pocket.

Being a good business man, I think he finally realized that he was making a bad investment with little hope of future returns.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I too was just stating my opinion. However, my thoughts on this subject have not been influenced by my political views or my religious beliefs. That is actually my point about this subject. I think everyone’s political and religious views are making them, and others, have predisposed notions of what they should believe, rather than actually reading some scientific literature and forming and opinion themselves. And not just going with what the first preacher or candidate says. I am not saying you all are doing this...but let’s be honest; most people know what they believe about this subject without knowing diddly-squat about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never really looked into the subject until my senior year in HS, when a teacher made us watch it. Something about it just didnt seem right, and I told her. Of course i was obviously wrong, but i challenged her to a debate after the weekend... Thats when i starting doing all kinds of research, and trust me it is not easy when you are on that side of the issue, but i did and came prepared with handouts and tranparancies (with the graph mentioned before, which had some info from NASA) and we debated for over 45 minutes. Most of the class said i had won, she argued differently as well as one other student. Point of the matter is, yes, i did take a stance on something I thought was wrong, but through what i have read and such i honestly do not believe global warming is happening...

BigAlum, we both know there are numerous points on each side, and each side has a rebuttal for almost every point. But i do have my reasons for not thinking global warming is happening, ESPECIALLY at the rate politicans say it is.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never really looked into the subject until my senior year in HS, when a teacher made us watch it. Something about it just didnt seem right, and I told her. Of course i was obviously wrong, but i challenged her to a debate after the weekend... Thats when i starting doing all kinds of research, and trust me it is not easy when you are on that side of the issue, but i did and came prepared with handouts and tranparancies (with the graph mentioned before, which had some info from NASA) and we debated for over 45 minutes. Most of the class said i had won, she argued differently as well as one other student. Point of the matter is, yes, i did take a stance on something I thought was wrong, but through what i have read and such i honestly do not believe global warming is happening...

BigAlum, we both know there are numerous points on each side, and each side has a rebuttal for almost every point. But i do have my reasons for not thinking global warming is happening, ESPECIALLY at the rate politicans say it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and I can also tell that you have done a lot of research on the topic. Probably more than I have to be honest. But, my point was that a lot of people base their opinions of global warming strictly on what their religious beliefs are or what a politician said. When, it is neither a political nor a religious matter. It is a scientific matter. And whether it is true or false it will ultimately affect us all in some way no matter our religion or political party.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i know... i was saying that I did the same as many people, and did what most would do, which was probably jump to a conclusion because of what politican/political party brought it up... but after research I realized what my view really was.

what im trying to say is, it is so easy to pick a side based on something other than facts, and even easier to be lazy and not know the facts. That is the problem with voting in my opinion as well...

[ QUOTE ]

i know... i was saying that I did the same as many people, and did what most would do, which was probably jump to a conclusion because of what politican/political party brought it up... but after research I realized what my view really was.

what im trying to say is, it is so easy to pick a side based on something other than facts, and even easier to be lazy and not know the facts. That is the problem with voting in my opinion as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on.