Hokies Sign 31 to Letters of Intent

GMan

Hokies Sign 31 to Letters of Intent

by Chris Coleman, TechSideline.com

Associate Editor

Feb 06, 2008

Virginia Tech received 31 letters of intent from football prospects today, the largest recruiting class in Frank Beamer's tenure at Virginia Tech. The class includes 22 players from the state of Virginia, also a record for Beamer at Tech.

Although not all of the recruits will be enrolling this year, it marks the biggest recruiting class Tech has ever signed. The class features a number of highly-touted players, and as usual, a few sleepers that have an opportunity to defy the experts and excel at the college level.

Virginia Tech's recruiting class is headed up by seven 4-star recruits, including four of the top five players in

list.

The #1 player in the state is offensive tackle Vinston Painter. The Hokies also signed #2 Dyrell Roberts of Smithfield and #3 Ryan Williams of Manassas, completing a clean sweep of the top three in the state. #5 is wide receiver D.J. Coles of Goochland. The only top five player in the state that is not heading to Blacksburg is quarterback Mike Glennon, brother of Sean Glennon. He is headed to NC State.

The Hokies signed one other top 10 recruit, #9 Marcus Davis of Ocean Lakes High School. Davis was considered an athlete for most of the recruiting process, likely a future receiver. However he played quarterback his senior year of high school and was very impressive, out-dueling Florida State commit E.J. Manuel in one of his games. Quarterback will be Davis' initial position at Virginia Tech.

The top five in-state signees are offensive players. None of these players are expected to play on the defensive side of the ball for the Hokies. A couple, such as Ryan Williams and Dyrell Roberts, have a chance to contribute in their first season. Roberts is the most likely candidate, given Tech's needs at wide receiver.

Virginia Tech also signed 4-star linebacker Quillie Odom from Hargrave Military Academy. Odom was originally a member of the 2007 recruiting class, but failed to qualify. Since then he has bulked up to 225 pounds and has developed into a standout linebacker for Hargrave.

Another 4-star recruit is Myrtle Beach linebacker Bruce Taylor. Taylor verballed to the Hokies way back on September 14, 2006 over offers from UNC, South Carolina, Florida State and Clemson. He has bulked up to 6-3, 240, and could possibly play defense end for Virginia Tech.

The final 4-star recruit, who decided on Virginia Tech this morning, is defensive end Leon Mackey of Hargrave Military Academy. Mackey fills a major need on defense and has the chance to play right away.

Tech's class also includes some sleepers that the coaching staff evaluated and decided to offer. Some of these players are underrated because they committed to Virginia Tech so early, before other coaches had a chance to fully evaluate them. Examples are Eric Martin and Jeron Gouveia.

A complete table listing every signee of Virginia Tech's 2008 recruiting class is below. We'll have more detailed coverage of this class in the coming days, beginning tomorrow with Chris Horne's breakdown and analysis of all 31 players.

2008 Virginia Tech Football Recruiting Class

Pos Name Stars Ht Wt Hometown State Status

QB Clayton, Joseph 6-2 205 Richmond VA VT Signee

QB Davis, Marcus 6-5 215 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

RB Gregory, Tony 5-11 185 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

RB Williams, Ryan 5-10 205 Manassas VA VT Signee

WR Barber, Ben 6-0 200 Alexandria VA VT Signee

WR Boyce, Xavier 6-4 200 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

WR Boykin, Jarrett 6-2 190 Matthews NC VT Signee

WR Coles, D.J. 6-3 198 Goochland VA VT Signee

WR Dunn, Randall 6-3 212 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

WR Pressley, Kendrick 5-10 170 Sumter SC VT Signee

WR Roberts, Dyrell 6-2 190 Smithfield VA VT Signee

TE Martin, Eric 6-3 235 Woodbridge VA VT Signee

OL Painter, Vinston 6-6 315 Norfolk VA VT Signee

OL Via, Michael 6-6 260 McLeansville NC VT Signee

DT Becton, Nick 6-6 290 Wilmington NC VT Signee

DT Tucker, Dwight 6-2 275 Oviedo FL VT Signee

DE Hamlette, Isaiah 6-4 250 Stafford VA VT Signee

DE Hopkins, Antoine 6-2 280 Highland Springs VA VT Signee

DE Jones, Joe 6-3 245 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

DE Mackey, Leon 6-5 275 Newark DE VT Signee

LB Gibson, Lyndell 5-11 220 Virginia Beach VA VT Signee

LB Johnson, Jake 6-2 235 Falmouth VA VT Signee

LB Odom, Quillie 6-2 225 Manassas VA VT Signee

LB Stephens, Allen 6-1 240 South Boston VA VT Signee

LB Taylor, Bruce 6-3 240 Myrtle Beach SC VT Signee

CB Whitley, Eddie 6-1 175 Matthews NC VT Signee

CB Williams, Lorenzo 6-2 198 Fayetteville NC VT Signee

S Gouveia, Jeron 6-2 184 Ashburn VA VT Signee

ATH Fuller, Austin 6-2 195 Richlands VA VT Signee

ATH McCoy, Derrick 6-3 210 Amherst VA VT Signee

ATH Rose, Peter 6-1 180 Amherst VA VT Signee

Amazing job they did putting this class together on paper. We will find out in three to four how good this class is on the field. I think I am most excited to see Dyrell Roberts and Bruce Taylor and what they can do on the field.

[ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to all 31 official VT Hokies and especially to our own Austin Fuller who became a Hokie at 8:18 a.m.!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that....great character this young man possesses.

it will be nice to see him play and even succeed. if he continues to gain size and keep his speed he could be on special teams as a freshman and maybe start seeing time as a sophomore. it all depends on what he does while he is at VT to impress the coaching staff. I understand they have gotten some other good recruits and fine players that they have returning, but if he gets on the good side of the coaches and continues improving (along with the lack there of from returning players) he could start seeing time.

He is already on the good side of all of the coaches. I talked to VT's head of athletic training and he said all of the coaches love his attitude and the way he works so hard. Austin is a cool guy and deserves everything he has already earned

I have talked to Stin numerous times and he has told me that they are going to red-shirt him next year. He will probably be on Special Teams the next year. And they are thinking about putting him at Rover or SS. And he is pleased with that.

I talked to him this summer and he was really excited about just accomplishing his dreams. I really hope he can keep up his speed while gaining weight. Mike Gentry is one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the nation so im sure he will. I really hope once Stin does get to play they sell jerseys with his number on it. I will get one the first time i see it.

[ QUOTE ]

I have talked to Stin numerous times and he has told me that they are going to red-shirt him next year. He will probably be on Special Teams the next year. And they are thinking about putting him at Rover or SS. And he is pleased with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

VT is known for the excellent Defense, and mostly their DB's...So congrats to him!