Town of Pocahontas vows to save high school from closure

BigBlueAlum

[ QUOTE ]

He went to Hurley. They spend alot of time in the bathroom and office. I agree, bottom line is, it is time to close it. Face the facts and wake up. The enrollment is not going to increase, unless Fatboy and Cornholio have spent some time down at the Cricket, and have a few secrets in their closet.

[/ QUOTE ] I haint sure about Fatboy but all the times I spent at the Crickett, I shore didn't see no heavenly bodies in there. All I seen was a bunch of fat bellied bikers and rednecks drinkin Pabst Blue Ribbons and smokin Camel cigarettes. Don't blame Corny for the lack of youngens!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not there are signs saying that students can't use teacher’s facilities, it was still proven that there is more than one STUDENT Ladies restroom in the school. All of your points are moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say there was a sign saying students couldn't use them. I wrote that it just isn't allowed.

And if my points are moot (which, I agree, they are, but they aren't much different than crying about having to be a G-Man or a Bulldog either), do they really require a response?

And besides...I didn't go to Hurley!...I just supported them in football!...I am a graduate of Grundy! (wait, is that really even better? Or did I just sink my position?....AHHHHH!)

Any more questions friends?

[/ QUOTE ]Not counting the faculty, there is one girl's bathroom upstairs and one downstairs...that's more than you said.

[ QUOTE ]

And if my points are moot (which, I agree, they are, but they aren't much different than crying about having to be a G-Man or a Bulldog either), do they really require a response?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK, Let me get this straight... You can make up stuff and, just because it isn’t true, no one should refute it? OK...gotcha! I guess I owe you an apology then. If no one responded to them then other people would take what you said as a fact, when it was indeed not true at all.

Here are some synonyms for "moot" : debatable, arguable doubtful, controversial, unresolved, disputable, unsettled, unlikely

I think all of those words call for a response.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Who cares where the main office is or how many bathrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appearently DJ4HurleyFB does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...who the heck cares how to find the office...Anyway, if you can't find the office at any of the county schools, then there needs to be a serious overhaul of the county's educational plan. Because you don't have to be too bright to find the office in any of them...

[ QUOTE ]

moot=irrelevant

[/ QUOTE ]

It can have the connotation. Here is the definition of moot.

moot-

adjective 1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

–verb (used with object) 4. to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion.

5. to reduce or remove the practical significance of; make purely theoretical or academic.

Alright class, next time we will discuss the definition of "connotation". Don’t forget to do your homework.

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

100 kids.its the smallest school in the state,and numbers have been dropping since the 70's.when is this going to be enough?when theres only 5 students?it shouldve been shut down years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.....the smallest school in the state (if I remember correctly) is Mount Rogers with a whopping 28 students.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

100 kids.its the smallest school in the state,and numbers have been dropping since the 70's.when is this going to be enough?when theres only 5 students?it shouldve been shut down years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.....the smallest school in the state (if I remember correctly) is Mount Rogers with a whopping 28 students.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably correct, I havent checked all the numbers. But I do know that Pocahontas was the smallest school to field a football team in the state of Virginia.

[ QUOTE ]

K-12 public school in Grayson County.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. I have to ask...if there TRULY is only 28 students...why are they still open? Is Grayson County a more industrial/prosperous area than Tazewell County?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. I have to ask...if there TRULY is only 28 students...why are they still open? Is Grayson County a more industrial/prosperous area than Tazewell County?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are only that many students. Mount Rogers is located in a VERY REMOTE section of Grayson Co...not really feasible to close the school and send them to Grayson Co. HS. Its only 34 miles from Whitetop, where Mount Rogers HS is located, to Independence, where Grayson Co. HS is located, but it takes nearly an hour by car over a VERY curvy, mountainous road which is EXTREMELY hazardous in the winter. I couldn't imagine a bus driving that road two times per day. If Grayson Co. decided to close Mount Rogers, I'd almost bet that community would attempt to start their own "community" school.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. I have to ask...if there TRULY are only 28 students...why are they still open? Is Grayson County a more industrial/prosperous area than Tazewell County?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are only that many students. Mount Rogers is located in a VERY REMOTE section of Grayson Co...not really feasible to close the school and send them to Grayson Co. HS. Its only 34 miles from Whitetop, where Mount Rogers HS is located, to Independence, where Grayson Co. HS is located, but it takes nearly an hour by car over a VERY curvy, mountainous road which is EXTREMELY hazardous in the winter. I couldn't imagine a bus driving that road two times per day. If Grayson Co. decided to close Mount Rogers, I'd almost bet that community would attempt to start their own "community" school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.