Town of Pocahontas vows to save high school from closure

BigBlueAlum

[ QUOTE ]

We are not wackos they wont shut the schhol down for a few more years

[/ QUOTE ]

And in a few more years, the same thing will happen, people will complain and they won't close it. Same scenario, different decade. And I was a long-time resident of Tazewell County, so I know the situation there... If they're gonna do it, do it now and everybody will have forgotten about it this time next year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

They already did stupid.... a state prison. It seems like you might have known about it with a name like futbolking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you attend, or did you attend UVA?

[ QUOTE ]

They already did stupid.... a state prison. It seems like you might have known about it with a name like futbolking.

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the name of creation does that have to do with what I posted?

This is what I posted...

"And in a few more years, the same thing will happen, people will complain and they won't close it. Same scenario, different decade. And I was a long-time resident of Tazewell County, so I know the situation there... If they're gonna do it, do it now and everybody will have forgotten about it this time next year."

Maybe they don't teach reading comprehension at UVA...go Hokies!!!

I hope you're not referring to my other post about the mayor needing to think of more creative ways to bring business into town...because I'm sorry, but a state prison isn't the way to do it. Unless you're counting on those guys to set up shop in town when they get out!

There is only one girls bathroom in the school.

Teachers have to share classrooms.

When you walk in the school, it is a chore to find the Principal's office.

Other than a good library and a great librarian, just doesn't seem like a lot of positivies here. The cafeteria is nice and the school is clean. However, the school is just small.

The school isn't full by any means, but there isn't exactly room for more students (if they came, that is).

You got a five gallon bucket, and your boss tells you there is 6 gallons of sh*t. What do you do?

[ QUOTE ]

Other than a good library and a great librarian, just doesn't seem like a lot of positivies here. The cafeteria is nice and the school is clean. However, the school is just small.

The school isn't full by any means, but there isn't exactly room for more students (if they came, that is).

You got a five gallon bucket, and your boss tells you there is 6 gallons of sh*t. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

A chore to find the principal's office? I guess if you are illiterate than maybe...but there are signs directing you to the office. But if the school is as small as you say, then how hard could it be to find. It is right in the middle off the school at the main office.

Also, teachers share classrooms at other schools as well... including Richalnds.

I’m not sure about there only being one girl’s bathroom. There is at least one downstairs that I know of (not sure about upstairs) and there is also a girl’s locker room, so I would imagine there is restrooms in there as well. But I may be wrong about that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There is one girl's and boy's bathroom upstairs, one downstairs, the locker rooms as mentioned, and 4 other faculty bathrooms.

If you would go around the classrooms you would see that hardly any are ever full, so I don't know where you get we don't have room for more students. When the school first opened there was somewhere around 375-400 students going to school there..so I'm sure we have plenty of room to go around.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There is one girl's and boy's bathroom upstairs, one downstairs, the locker rooms as mentioned, and 4 other faculty bathrooms.

If you would go around the classrooms you would see that hardly any are ever full, so I don't know where you get we don't have room for more students. When the school first opened there was somewhere around 375-400 students going to school there..so I'm sure we have plenty of room to go around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you had the room...you've had 20 years to increase enrollment....it's time to close it down and move on...This issue has been around for a long time. PHS has been given plenty of chances to increase enrollment, the town has been given "time" before...Somebody needs to bring the axe down and be called the villain, it might as well be the current Superintendent. It will be long forgotten about in a year or two. I think Pocy is a great school, but that's not the question. The question is...is it an economically sound decision to keep it open?

[ QUOTE ]

Even if you had the room...you've had 20 years to increase enrollment....it's time to close it down and move on...This issue has been around for a long time. PHS has been given plenty of chances to increase enrollment, the town has been given "time" before...Somebody needs to bring the axe down and be called the villain, it might as well be the current Superintendent. It will be long forgotten about in a year or two. I think Pocy is a great school, but that's not the question. The question is...is it an economically sound decision to keep it open?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I was just answering to the person that said we don't have room. I've never seen anything published that shows it would be better economically to close Pocahontas. It someone did a study, and informed everyone about it, then I don't think as many people would have a problem with it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I was just answering to the person that said we don't have room. I've never seen anything published that shows it would be better economically to close Pocahontas. It someone did a study, and informed everyone about it, then I don't think as many people would have a problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several studies over the last few years and ALL have stated that it would be economically advantagous for the TCSB to close Pocy...do they not get the BDT down there??? As a matter of fact, there was one done earlier this year that recommended closing Pocy...its posted somewhere on one of these boards if you want to look for it...

[ QUOTE ]

I've seen where they say that they've done them...but where are they? I'm sorry if I've overlooked them, but I haven't seen any at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with ya EH. I haven't seen any of these "studies" either.

BTW, you gonna be there tomorrow after school?

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll be there. I got track, tennis, lifting, and the Mountain Mentors thing too..but I'll fit ya in somewhere. haha

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, just pencil me in there somewhere if you dont mind.

At every school I have ever gone inside, once you walk inside the main entrance, you normally see the main office and principal's office. Its not typical that you should have to follow signs to find the main office.

And aren't there signs up not allowing students to use the teacher's facilities, be it for the bathroom or even to speak to a teacher? So why count those facilities as part of the student's?

Regardless, what happens will.

[ QUOTE ]

At every school I have ever gone inside, once you walk inside the main entrance, you normally see the main office and principal's office. Its not typical that you should have to follow signs to find the main office.

And aren't there signs up not allowing students to use the teacher's facilities, be it for the bathroom or even to speak to a teacher? So why count those facilities as part of the student's?

Regardless, what happens will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let’s see... the office at RHS is not right in front of the main doors. The same is true at Tazewell. At both of these schools you have to "follow" the signs...or you could just walk down the hallway until you see the office. It isn't that tough.

Regardless of whether or not there are signs saying that students can't use teacher’s facilities, it was still proven that there is more than one STUDENT Ladies restroom in the school. All of your points are moot.

Actually what is moot is the arguing over these ridiculous reasons. The only reason PHS should be closed is enrollment. That is the bottom line. Who cares where the main office is or how many bathrooms. There aren't enough kids there to make it worthwhile for TCSB to keep it open any longer. All good things come to an end and it is time.

He went to Hurley. They spend alot of time in the bathroom and office. I agree, bottom line is, it is time to close it. Face the facts and wake up. The enrollment is not going to increase, unless Fatboy and Cornholio have spent some time down at the Cricket, and have a few secrets in their closet.

[ QUOTE ]

He went to Hurley. They spend alot of time in the bathroom and office. I agree, bottom line is, it is time to close it. Face the facts and wake up. The enrollment is not going to increase, unless Fatboy and Cornholio have spent some time down at the Cricket, and have a few secrets in their closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cricket is no longer open.

There have been several studies but few of them reported “significant†savings from the closing of the school. Most of the cost would transfer with the students (staff salaries, instructional costs, food etc). There would actually be an increase in expenses to the school that accepts Pocy’s students.

The facility up-keep costs that would be “saved†would simply be transferred to the increased transportation costs. (Wear and tear on the buses and increasing cost of fuel). That would result in cost neutral benefits or increases.

As for enrollment, Pocy is a combined school with an enrollment of nearly 200. The student to teacher ratio is ideal for quality education.(The last that I read was that the High School kids would be moved to Graham but the Middle School would stay; that the elementary would be closed and moved to Pocy as a K-8 school.

The school system has (approx) a budget of 165 million; of which less than 11 million are local funds.(Not a drain on the local taxpayers) The State does not care if the students live in Va or WV; the same amount is allocated per student (there may actually be an increase for out of state students. I have not researched this as a fact but have been told that this might be the case). Why reject them when at least 5 schools may benefit from it. (GHS, GMS, GIS, DPS, PHS, AVBES)

Eventually, without improved enrollment and the county finding a way to retain its population, Pocahontas as well as some other prominent schools will cease to operate. At this time though having the school open and operating can only benefit the county “IF†there is a true desire to step up economical growth & development and draw population from other areas.

My one gripe is this: If the residents of the Valley truly support “Their†school then where are you on those cold nights when your sons are on the football field or your daughters on the courts. I have been at many functions (Sports and academics) and have witnessed the lack of support then. (I’ll applaud your fight if your dedicated 365, wet or dry, night and day).

[ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not there are signs saying that students can't use teacher’s facilities, it was still proven that there is more than one STUDENT Ladies restroom in the school. All of your points are moot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say there was a sign saying students couldn't use them. I wrote that it just isn't allowed.

And if my points are moot (which, I agree, they are, but they aren't much different than crying about having to be a G-Man or a Bulldog either), do they really require a response?

And besides...I didn't go to Hurley!...I just supported them in football!...I am a graduate of Grundy! (wait, is that really even better? Or did I just sink my position?....AHHHHH!)

Any more questions friends?