Town of Pocahontas vows to save high school from closure

BigBlueAlum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100 kids.its the smallest school in the state,and numbers have been dropping since the 70's.when is this going to be enough?when theres only 5 students?it shouldve been shut down years ago.

[ QUOTE ]

That is true, maker. But, that is not the issue. The issue is whether or not the sb intentionally left this matter off of the agenda. Trying to "sneak" Pocahontas into closure is underhanded. I ask myself this question, if this is true, what else will they try to "sneak" past the taxpayers of this county.

[/ QUOTE ]

This issue has been on and off of the docket in Tazewell County for 20 years...nobody is trying to "sneak" anything past anybody.

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly...

If they're so passionate about having the school there...how about making it a private institution and having the people of Pocy pay for the operation of it....

[/ QUOTE ]

They could always call up Oprah Winfrey or Bill Gates..(Have any of you seen the article in the BHC? St. Paul High School looking for help from Oprah and big Bill to save their school...

[ QUOTE ]

This issue has been on and off of the docket in Tazewell County for 20 years...nobody is trying to "sneak" anything past anybody.

[/ QUOTE ]You should be on the school board!

Just a question...everyone complains about paying taxes to keep Pocahontas open, but we pay the same taxes, so it's keeping the other schools open too. Right? So what should we do? Boycott taxes altogether?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You should be on the school board!

Just a question...everyone complains about paying taxes to keep Pocahontas open, but we pay the same taxes, so it's keeping the other schools open too. Right? So what should we do? Boycott taxes altogether?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it isnt like they are going to lower taxes anyway. Besides, futbolking dosnt even live in Tazewell County, why is he even complaining?

[ QUOTE ]

No, they won't lower taxes any but at least they'll be able to spend more on the schools that have more than 100 students...

[/ QUOTE ]

As of September 2007 Pocahontas High School had 109 students.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

so what happened at the school board meeting last night? did the town of pocy storm the meeting as promised? will the indians march the trail of tears or was this custers last stand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke with some of the office staff at Pocy today, and they said the meeting went well. They said there was about 300-400 people there and they didnt let out until after 11:30. However, they said that they got the feeling that some of the board memebers already had their minds made up and didnt care what they had to say. They said that neither Dr. Lawson or Cookie paid a bit of attention to anything that was said, and they might as well of not been there. I think they said the board will vote on 3/28, if Im not mistaken. I guess we will see.

http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_063222259.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Pocahontas makes a stand for high school

By CHARLES OWENS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

TAZEWELL, Va. — An emotional crowd of hundreds fighting for the future of Pocahontas High School verbally assailed the Tazewell County School Board Monday.

“We had been promised a timeline for the year 2009 to improve our enrollment,” Anita Cartwright, one of several hundred citizens who packed the auditorium of Tazewell High School to near capacity, said. “Now you’ve pulled a sneak attack on us, and you are reneging on your promise.”

“Please, I’m begging you — don’t close Pocahontas High School,” Erica Smith, a student at the high school, said. “All I can do is beg you not to close Pocy.”

“Do you all like controversy?” Johnnie Elmore asked. “Last year we had controversy over uniforms. Now we have controversy over closing a school for no reason.”

“We are not G-Men,” Robin Davis said. “We are not Bulldogs. We are Pocahontas Indians. Please don’t take away our identity.”

“If you want to see a ghost town in 10 years, and I’m talking all the way from Abbs Valley to Pocahontas, close the school down,” Belinda Davis said.

Davis said the loss of band class at Pocahontas High School was not the doing of students or staff at Pochaontas, but instead a decision made by the school board.

“As parents, we feel insulted by the school board,” Debbie Boone said. “We as parents know if our children are getting a quality education.”

“If you want enrollment up, let kids from surrounding areas, or kids from West Virginia come to our school,” Rita Powers said.

Patricia Synan also asked the school board to reconsider its earlier decision to not allow West Virginia students to attend the school system.

“We need at the very least a stay of execution from you,” Synan said. “You are our leaders. Don’t fail us.”

Pocahontas Mayor Anita Brown challenged the school board members to tour Pocahontas High School.

“How many of you have been in Pocahontas High School and toured it from inside and out?” Brown said. “You can’t tell me there is any school better than Pocahontas High School. We have a fine school.”

“At earlier meetings, I’ve told you if you attempt to close Pocahontas High School, there will be a public outcry,” Tommy Childress said. “I tell you now no matter what you do tonight, we are still going to continue our fight to save Pocahontas High School.”

“In order to achieve business and population growth, it is paramount to have a complete and good school system,” Frank Rodriguez said. “I respectfully request for the school board to delay any action toward closing Pocahontas High School. We need more time. Please give us more time.”

“We were supposed to start this with August of 2009 — not 2008,” Mike Mussalow said. “You’ve got to give us some time to make some improvements here.”

Sherry Keller of Abbs Valley questioned why board member Cookie Johnson made a motion to close Pocahontas High School when there was no prior mention of it on the board’s agenda.

“You know closing Pocahontas High School is not the right thing to do,” Keller said. “Show us your integrity. Keep Pocahontas High School open.”

If Pocahontas High School is closed, students from Pocahontas would be consolidated with Graham High School and Tazewell High School, according to earlier reports by School Superintendent Dr. Brenda Lawson.

As of January, only 105 students were enrolled at Pocahontas High School. That includes 28 seniors, 22 juniors, 26 sophomore and 29 freshmen. The combined Pocahontas Middle School facility had an enrollment of 80 students as of the January reporting period.

I thought this was the best quote in the whole article

[ QUOTE ]

“If you want to see a ghost town in 10 years, and I’m talking all the way from Abbs Valley to Pocahontas, close the school down,” Belinda Davis said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...yeh...uh, someone please explain to her, uh, its been a ghost town for quite some time...yeh...thanks...

White%20Glenn%20IS%20Lumburgh!!!%20copy.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

What WV family in their right mind would actually pay the $300 or whatever it is to send their kid to Pocahontas High School? They could send them to Montcalm for free and receive the same level of disadvantaged learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, some kids from the free state of McDowell are closer to Pocy than Mt. View or Big Creek...

[ QUOTE ]

I thought this was the best quote in the whole article

[ QUOTE ]

“If you want to see a ghost town in 10 years, and I’m talking all the way from Abbs Valley to Pocahontas, close the school down,†Belinda Davis said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...yeh...uh, someone please explain to her, uh, its been a ghost town for quite some time...yeh...thanks...

White%20Glenn%20IS%20Lumburgh!!!%20copy.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger-Woods-logo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What WV family in their right mind would actually pay the $300 or whatever it is to send their kid to Pocahontas High School? They could send them to Montcalm for free and receive the same level of disadvantaged learning.

[/ QUOTE ]There is usually always new students wanting to come from WV to Pocahontas, and what disadvanted learning? Being all the way out there in Christiansburg I'm sure you know all about it.

EH was that you I saw on the TV last night? I thought you did a nice job.

Personally, WV students paying $300 tuition is a joke. The per pupil expenditures are somewhere around $6,000 or 7,000 per year. Who picks up the balance?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]There is usually always new students wanting to come from WV to Pocahontas, and what disadvanted learning? Being all the way out there in Christiansburg I'm sure you know all about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disadvantage in that you don't offer a number of the educational opportunities that the bigger schools can and do offer. And I guess Pocy would be better than Big Creek, but how do those families afford to pay the out-of-state fee?