Article on closing Pocahontas HS...

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

Matthew what the heck was that you sounded consedied

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect example of why Pocy needs to shut the doors...quality education...great spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation! Excellent job!

Yes you are correct, Whitewood and Garden consolidated to form Twin Valley, BUT.....you fail to realize that they were roughly the same size in enrollment. Pocahontas will be roughly 1/6th the size of a consolidated GHS. Which means they get 1/6th of the say in the matter. And that is not even close to a majority. Did they change the name of Richlands when the kids from Cedar Bluff came there? No, they did not. If they want to try that BS, then they will have the mother of all fights on their hands on that issue. And there is a whole lot more money in Bluefield than there is in Pocy. I for one don't care if they come to Graham or not, they can all go to Tazewell for all I care. These people hate Graham for some unknown reason we have never done anything to these people yet they continue to bash Bluefield and GHS. Maybe you should be asking them why.....

[ QUOTE ]

Perfect example of why Pocy needs to shut the doors...quality education...great spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation! Excellent job!

[/ QUOTE ]Haha, let's shut the school down because of that! I know I have seen plenty of people on here that have a hard time spelling and using grammar. I seem to remember one inparticular a while back, his name might have just been Goalie...and noone said, "Let's shut Carroll County down!"

[ QUOTE ]

Yes you are correct, Whitewood and Garden consolidated to form Twin Valley, BUT.....you fail to realize that they were roughly the same size in enrollment. Pocahontas will be roughly 1/6th the size of a consolidated GHS. Which means they get 1/6th of the say in the matter. And that is not even close to a majority. Did they change the name of Richlands when the kids from Cedar Bluff came there? No, they did not. If they want to try that BS, then they will have the mother of all fights on their hands on that issue. And there is a whole lot more money in Bluefield than there is in Pocy. I for one don't care if they come to Graham or not, they can all go to Tazewell for all I care. These people hate Graham for some unknown reason we have never done anything to these people yet they continue to bash Bluefield and GHS. Maybe you should be asking them why.....

[/ QUOTE ]Does it matter if Bluefield has more money than Pocahontas? I'm pretty sure that there are school board districts, and every district is supposed to have an equal say, regardless of money.

Pocahontas as a community and as a school is looked down upon by the rest of the county, especially in the Bluefield area. And noone can tell me I'm wrong, because I've lived here all my life, and I've seen it all the time. Noone from here is bashing Graham, people just have their own opinions. Just like Bluefield residents saying, "shut that money pit down." It goes both ways.

But you're saying Pocahontas residents should just be fine with giving up everything we have and going to another school where you're not wanted?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Does it matter if Bluefield has more money than Pocahontas? I'm pretty sure that there are school board districts, and every district is supposed to have an equal say, regardless of money.

Pocahontas as a community and as a school is looked down upon by the rest of the county, especially in the Bluefield area. And noone can tell me I'm wrong, because I've lived here all my life, and I've seen it all the time. Noone from here is bashing Graham, people just have their own opinions. Just like Bluefield residents saying, "shut that money pit down." It goes both ways.

But you're saying Pocahontas residents should just be fine with giving up everything we have and going to another school where you're not wanted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have lived here alot longer than you and to tell you truth no one thinks about Pocahontas at all....That is something you people have dreamed up in your heads to justify your hatred for us. I feel for you in some ways, losing your community is painful, but Pocahontas is falling apart at the seams due to the mine shutting down 50 years ago. Think about that for a moment.....a half a century ago. You were given a chance to increase enrollment with the new road and prison, and they did not. That is not my fault, nor is it Bluefield's fault. People just don't want to live down there. Sorry but it's reality. Where I have the problem in this is threats of a lawsuit that my tax money will have to defend over something as stupid as a name change for a school that's history goes back 95 years for 100 kids.

It all comes back to you're money. Our school has 100 year history too and that doesn't change your mind about wanting to do away with it, does it? And I don't have hatred for anyone, but the truth is, no matter if you want to believe it or not, everyone looks down on ole' Pocahontas.

And that new road sure is helping population isn't it? It's hard to use something that was only open for a couple months before it had to be closed again. The school board has fault in us not getting our enrollment up too. If you were moving around here and you have kids, would you really want to enroll them in a school that is rumored to be shut down all the time?

Just a thought, are any of the students from Pocahontas attending the vocational school at Tazewell? If so, the students are traveling there every day and adjusted to the ride to get training in the vocation they are pursuing.

[ QUOTE ]

It all comes back to you're money. Our school has 100 year history too and that doesn't change your mind about wanting to do away with it, does it? And I don't have hatred for anyone, but the truth is, no matter if you want to believe it or not, everyone looks down on ole' Pocahontas.

And that new road sure is helping population isn't it? It's hard to use something that was only open for a couple months before it had to be closed again. The school board has fault in us not getting our enrollment up too. If you were moving around here and you have kids, would you really want to enroll them in a school that is rumored to be shut down all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you want to file lawsuits, then I guess money will have to be spent to defend what is ours.....We are the majority here. Pocahontas is no different than your neighbor Bramwell, and look what happened there....They are now part of Montcalm. Look, if you become part of the Graham district, then I will welcome you with open arms. You will be no different than Falls Mills,Bluefield,VA or Springville. Just quit acting like jerks about it. Fight your fight in Tazewell and if you win good, if not welcome to the family.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you want to file lawsuits, then I guess money will have to be spent to defend what is ours.....We are the majority here. Pocahontas is no different than your neighbor Bramwell, and look what happened there....They are now part of Montcalm. Look, if you become part of the Graham district, then I will welcome you with open arms. You will be no different than Falls Mills,Bluefield,VA or Springville. Just quit acting like jerks about it. Fight your fight in Tazewell and if you win good, if not welcome to the family.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is being a jerk about this anymore than you are. You all are just being so onesided about this. You think the school should be shut down and that the community shouldnt matter, but when it comes to changing the name of your school to do this, then you are all about the community. I know that the closure of Pocahontas is inevitable, and that it is probaby the best thing for everyone in the long run, but you guys have to understand how the students and commmunity and students feel. I a little compasion wouldnt hurt.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you have a copy of the TCSB's policies and procedures in front of you since you seem to know so much on the protocal of consolidation. I didnt realize that the amount of "say" you have was directly proportional to the number of students you have....WOW! I guess Richlands should just run the county then, since they have more students than any of the other schools.

BTW, When the heck did Cedar Bluff combine with Richlands? Back in the 1800s, when they closed the old college school house on the hill?

Well then since you seem to know so much on this matter, please explain to me why that school currently deserves another chance to remain open. And I said currently, not what happened 30 years ago. And when was the last time you were in Pocy? I'll be willing to bet a long time ago, if ever.....Go ahead I am waiting........

[ QUOTE ]

Well then since you seem to know so much on this matter, please explain to me why that school currently deserves another chance to remain open. And I said currently, not what happened 30 years ago. And when was the last time you were in Pocy? I'll be willing to bet a long time ago, if ever.....Go ahead I am waiting........

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA!! I never claimed to know so much about consolidation. You just start spouting off all these numbers and rules, like you are a member of the scool board. I never said the school should remain open. All I said was that we should have a little compasion for these students and residents of Pocahontas. I know the school is going to close down, and I think it is the right thing. If you would re-read my other messages then you will see that I have said that numerous times before.

By the way, I go to Pocahontas at least once a week. I have been there as many as four times in one week. Actually, I am going today. When was the last time you were there? I bet it has been longer for you, than it has for me. Right EH? Go ahead....I am waiting....

Yeah he actually came and visited me today haha

Virginia makes the SOL's the most important part of the education now. The whole year you study for them and take benchmark tests, all to try to pass the SOL test. Pocahontas has just as good of scores on the SOL's as the other schools in the county. Now we are fully accredited. But I forgot, we're not getting a good enough education.

That seems like a good reason to stay open to me.

Is Tazewell High fully accredited?

And the school board claims that they should shut pocahontas down just for the fact we dont have as many oppurtunities...but that is not our fault because they are the ones that dont offer that over here but yall are goin to look at yalls side more than any other because you will be happy if we close just because as much as you say you may not look down on pocy kids you may not but you have no respect for us if you dont look down on us

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA!! I never claimed to know so much about consolidation. You just start spouting off all these numbers and rules, like you are a member of the scool board. I never said the school should remain open. All I said was that we should have a little compasion for these students and residents of Pocahontas. I know the school is going to close down, and I think it is the right thing. If you would re-read my other messages then you will see that I have said that numerous times before.

By the way, I go to Pocahontas at least once a week. I have been there as many as four times in one week. Actually, I am going today. When was the last time you were there? I bet it has been longer for you, than it has for me. Right EH? Go ahead....I am waiting....

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you at CPF? Im still waiting...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

who the hell r u pocy finest one dont tell me that im consedied

[/ QUOTE ]

conceited*

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job, that one was almost as good as commute. Did yall win?

[/ QUOTE ]I know, you just gotta have faith in me. I'm pretty intelligent, you just don't know it. haha

We won by around 20, Narrows tommorrow, but who knows with the snow?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

who the hell r u pocy finest one dont tell me that im consedied

[/ QUOTE ]

conceited*

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job, that one was almost as good as commute. Did yall win?

[/ QUOTE ]I know, you just gotta have faith in me. I'm pretty intelligent, you just don't know it. haha

We won by around 20, Narrows tommorrow, but who knows with the snow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have yall gotten any over there yet?