Article on closing Pocahontas HS...

GMan

I guarantee you drive further on the weekends on a regular basis than from pocy to bluefield. I dont think they should not close the school down because of the few kids that have a problem with having to drive a little further each day. Im sure this problem exists in every other county as well and people deal with it.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about what goes on in Tazewell County. I was just offering a possible solution to the obvious "impossible" of driving and/or riding a school bus for an extra 20 miles.

[ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you drive further on the weekends on a regular basis than from pocy to bluefield. I dont think they should not close the school down because of the few kids that have a problem with having to drive a little further each day. Im sure this problem exists in every other county as well and people deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]This issue isn't about me wanting to drive farther. It's about the school board saying that Pochaontas students would have more extra-curricular opportunities, which in my opinion that I stated above, we would not.

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I couldn't care less about what goes on in Tazewell County. I was just offering a possible solution to the obvious "impossible" of driving and/or riding a school bus for an extra 20 miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I wasnt referring to you. I was talking about the people that are saying "Close that money pit down..." that dont even live in Tazewell county.

No actually I think Tazewell co. can make smart moves like this even if it means making a whole town mad. Or they could let people dictate what to do and drive it in the ground like Mercer co.!! where I live...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I just love how all of these people that dont even live in Tazewell county are so opinionated about this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what makes America what it is...

[/ QUOTE ]

What? A bunch of people that do not mind their own business? haha j/k

Driving from Bluefield or Tazewell to Pocahontas is not like it was in 1958. Cars are better, roads are better.

Let's revisit the comment that was stated in the BDT, that Pocy residents should sue to have the name of GHS changed if the closure of PHS goes through. IF this statement was reported correctly by the BDT, then the credibility of the one that made it has nose dived in my opinion. In my opinion this is nothing less than a tantrum. Akin to saying "Well somebody else needs to suffer also". Does it sound like the best interest of the Tazewell County educational system is being sought? I could be wrong, but I have never heard the folks in Bluefield, Va. asking for the PHS students to be moved to GHS. I'm sure they would be more than welcome, but they aren't begging for them. I don't think that fighting the closure of PHS is going to be aided by firing shots like this across the bow of Bluefield VA. There were probably a lot of folks in Bluefield VA. that didn't have a strong opinion about the closure of PHS,..... until now. If they are going to win the fight to keep PHS open, they should be finding allies outside of Pocahontas, not making enemies.

[ QUOTE ]

Driving from Bluefield or Tazewell to Pocahontas is not like it was in 1958. Cars are better, roads are better.

Let's revisit the comment that was stated in the BDT, that Pocy residents should sue to have the name of GHS changed if the closure of PHS goes through. IF this statement was reported correctly by the BDT, then the credibility of the one that made it has nose dived in my opinion. In my opinion this is nothing less than a tantrum. Akin to saying "Well somebody else needs to suffer also". Does it sound like the best interest of the Tazewell County educational system is being sought? I could be wrong, but I have never heard the folks in Bluefield, Va. asking for the PHS students to be moved to GHS. I'm sure they would be more than welcome, but they aren't begging for them. I don't think that fighting the closure of PHS is going to be aided by firing shots like this across the bow of Bluefield VA. There were probably a lot of folks in Bluefield VA. that didn't have a strong opinion about the closure of PHS,..... until now. If they are going to win the fight to keep PHS open, they should be finding allies outside of Pocahontas, not making enemies.

[/ QUOTE ]

When Whitewood and Garden Compbined in Buchanon County they formed Twin Valley High School. Besides, what do you mean the folks in Bluefield havent been calling for the closure of Pocahontas High School. Just on here I have read numerous accounts of people saying that it "is best for the kids, and the county taxpayer". So they are begging for them to close the school, but now they dont want them there...they have to go somewhere. They want to close the school for the better of the county and the other kids. So way does their tone change when they think that the closure of Pocahontas might change the name of their beloved high school? How hypocritical! If you all are truely concerned about the kids and the tax dollars why would it matter if they change the name of Graham High School? I think since the name change has came up you all are starting to feel what the studetns and citizens of Pocahontas are feeling. It is a case of identity, if they close the school in Pocahontas the community will have no identity, if they change the name of GHS then the that community will lose its identity.

While I hate to see PHS close, I am not against closing it. I can understand that it may be best for everyone. However, you all are being a little selfish in this.

When Whitewood and Garden combined, did they close both and move to a new facility? I'm really not familiar with the circumstances around the closing of those schools. If two schools are closed and combined to new facility, I would completely agree with a new name. However, Graham is not on the table for closure now, so why change a name? I feel that in my lifetime I will see a Tazewell East and Tazewell West, if not a Tazewell County High School. Until then, why not make this as painless as possible. Regardless of where the Pocy kids end up attending, their new school will be better with their arrival. As far as changing my opinion on the closure of PHS because of changing the name of GHS, I still think that closing PHS is in the best interest of Tazewell County even if they changed the name of GHS to "The High School Located West Of The High School That Is Home To The Mighty Beavers".

It is my opinion that closing PHS will not destroy the identity of Pocahontas. Pocahontas' identity is grounded in it's rich history. A history more interesting and historically significant than that of any other town in Tazewell County. This is what my extremely high property taxes should help Pocahontas preserve.

[ QUOTE ]

When Whitewood and Garden combined, did they close both and move to a new facility? I'm really not familiar with the circumstances around the closing of those schools. If two schools are closed and combined to new facility, I would completely agree with a new name. However, Graham is not on the table for closure now, so why change a name? I feel that in my lifetime I will see a Tazewell East and Tazewell West, if not a Tazewell County High School. Until then, why not make this as painless as possible. Regardless of where the Pocy kids end up attending, their new school will be better with their arrival. As far as changing my opinion on the closure of PHS because of changing the name of GHS, I still think that closing PHS is in the best interest of Tazewell County even if they changed the name of GHS to "The High School Located West Of The High School That Is Home To The Mighty Beavers".

It is my opinion that closing PHS will not destroy the identity of Pocahontas. Pocahontas' identity is grounded in it's rich history. A history more interesting and historically significant than that of any other town in Tazewell County. This is what my extremely high property taxes should help Pocahontas preserve.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first mentioned twin valley I thought that they had not moved into a new shcool, but then I asked someone in the office and they informed me that they did build a new school. If they did indeed build a new school then that situation dosnt pertain to this one.

As for the history... the "history" is already gone in the town. All the buildings in town are caved in and not salvageable.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I just love how all of these people that dont even live in Tazewell county are so opinionated about this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah GMangrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remembered someone mentioning that he moved out of Tazewell county...but I wasnt going to say anthing. haha

Monroe County does have activity buses for sports' practices. And it's true, there are lots of rural square miles here. However, just like it was way back when I was a kid, if the team gets home late at night, mom or dad (if the kid doesn't drive) has the pleasure of picking up son or daughter at the school or making alternate arrangements. That's one of the prices you pay for participating. (Most parents in Monroe, however, attend games so kids ride home with their parents.)

One of the biggest advantages for us, however, in consolidating was the opportunity to offer advanced classes that wouldn't have been possible at either Peterstown or Union individually. I believe it used to be the case, and probably still is, you have to have a certain number of students interested in taking a class before you can offer it. Individually, Peterstown and Union did not have those numbers; however, at James Monroe the numbers justify classes and for today's math and science classes, that means a lot.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].

The "history" that they have to identify with is falling down, all the buildings in town are caving in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is this history I think we could all rally around helping to preserve. Our discussion has been civil, even though our opinions vary. I hope the same can be said for the upcoming meeting in Tazewell.

[ QUOTE ]

Garden and Whitewood DID NOT move to a new facility. The old Whitewood High School is the new Twin Valley High School and the old Garden High School is the new Twin Valley Elem./Middle School.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Thats what I originally thought...then I asked someone here in the office and they said that they built a new school. Thanks for clearing that up.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].

The "history" that they have to identify with is falling down, all the buildings in town are caving in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is this history I think we could all rally around helping to preserve. Our discussion has been civil, even though our opinions vary. I hope the same can be said for the upcoming meeting in Tazewell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way it is goign to take money...we are going to save by closing the school but then throw it into perserving the towns history. Besided, if you go to Pocahonatas, you cna tell that alot of the historic building are not salvageable.

BTW, I doubt the meeting will be as civil as this conversation.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah GMangrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remembered someone mentioning that he moved out of Tazewell county...but I wasnt going to say anthing. haha

[/ QUOTE ]

But I still work in Tazewell Co., do most of my weekly shopping in Tazewell Co., and my mom still lives in Tazewell Co. I have a lot invested in this county, afterall, I have lived over 95% of my life there.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah GMangrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I still work in Tazewell Co., do most of my weekly shopping in Tazewell Co., and my mom still lives in Tazewell Co. I have a lot invested in this county, afterall, I have lived over 95% of my life there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but still...no one cares what you think. haha

Im only kidding.