Ravenswood 25 Bluefield 25 Half

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

Coaching makes the players better, and the players, in essence, make the coaching better. Relationships between players and coaches are essential and I think it would have been interesting to watch Webster and Willie Ellison do what they could with this team since they have grown up with these kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

BEST POST OF THIS THREAD...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

God know Dr. Judy Black didn't take the damn test. She couldn't pass an old lady in a Buick on 460.

[/ QUOTE ]

2ND BEST POST IN THIS THREAD...

64-55 Ravenswood.

After all of this season, Bluefield truly overacheived. I didnt see us getting a very good seed into the state tournament(if in at all) and I honestly thought some team would beat us in the first round and we'd head home. With losing 4 starters from last year's team and not having too much basketball IQ to work with and a brand new coach, the Beavers didnt do bad at all.

Hey, at least I can still look back on the year that Ansel posterized the 6'8 WVU commit, was an All-American and ended the season with I believe5 straight double-doubles. He had a great game today and it was sad to see one of the better athletes to ever come through Bluefield High School end his career with a missed desperation 3.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

First off, my hat is off to Ansel Ponder. He was a dominating force today and its been a long time since ive seen a beaver step up and play like that with his career on the line. Congrats to your great season Ansel. Sencondly, I honestly became a fan of Craig Havens this week. He handled himself very well on the sidelines, especially when compared to other coaches. He showed that he obviously wanted to win it all in what i saw of the postgame, and in my book, he is a Beaver. And for that, I am going to stand by him and say that I think he did an excellent job. Sure, the wins may not have been pretty, (summers) or games slipped through our hands (princeton) but he still overacheived in my book. This was the year Bluefield wouldnt go to charleston, my mind was made up in January, But he and his team proved me wrong.

Finally, the main thing that led me to be a supporter of Havens was his coaching in charleston. He took a less talented, lower seeded team and won a game in charleston. That is something that even Gilliard couldnt do last year with all the talent he had. Coach Havens proved to me that he was a Beaver this week, and yes he can work on some things, but it is evident that he wants to learn and ultimately win a state championship, something only one other coach has done in Bluefield history...

There is something in me that tells me Craig Havens is like a favorite coach of mine. Has great talent, but hasnt had the stage of a premeir program like bluefield. Both seem to struggle with player/coach relationships and dicispline, but hopefully havens will get a longer shot than the other did.

and sure go ahead throw me under the bus, but i dont see anything wrong for giving credit where credit is due, especially to another Beaver.

[ QUOTE ]

First off, my hat is off to Ansel Ponder. He was a dominating force today and its been a long time since ive seen a beaver step up and play like that with his career on the line. Congrats to your great season Ansel. Sencondly, I honestly became a fan of Craig Havens this week. He handled himself very well on the sidelines, especially when compared to other coaches. He showed that he obviously wanted to win it all in what i saw of the postgame, and in my book, he is a Beaver. And for that, I am going to stand by him and say that I think he did an excellent job. Sure, the wins may not have been pretty, (summers) or games slipped through our hands (princeton) but he still overacheived in my book. This was the year Bluefield wouldnt go to charleston, my mind was made up in January, But he and his team proved me wrong.

Finally, the main thing that led me to be a supporter of Havens was his coaching in charleston. He took a less talented, lower seeded team and won a game in charleston. That is something that even Gilliard couldnt do last year with all the talent he had. Coach Havens proved to me that he was a Beaver this week, and yes he can work on some things, but it is evident that he wants to learn and ultimately win a state championship, something only one other coach has done in Bluefield history...

There is something in me that tells me Craig Havens is like a favorite coach of mine. Has great talent, but hasnt had the stage of a premeir program like bluefield. Both seem to struggle with player/coach relationships and dicispline, but hopefully havens will get a longer shot than the other did.

and sure go ahead throw me under the bus, but i dont see anything wrong for giving credit where credit is due, especially to another Beaver.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN BROTHER...... I have been quiet also. I have been to all games but 5, and I still can't find the horrible coaching.

[ QUOTE ]

He took a less talented, lower seeded team and won a game in charleston.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??? He took a #4 seed team and beat a #5 seed team whom he had already beaten twice during the regular season...that isn't saying a whole lot...

I find it amazing that a coach that no one wanted, takes a team that lost good talent last year and takes them on quite a ride this year. He lost to the #1 seed, I would be pissed if he took a #2 team to Charleston and lost to a #7 team like last year. Congrats to Coach Havens and to the players for a good season.

I have stood behind him through almost everything this year, and would like to see him stay around for a while. People dont realize that this was his first time coaching in Charleston on that level. And overall i think he handled himself pretty well. He just didnt have the weapons to get it done this year.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He took a less talented, lower seeded team and won a game in charleston.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??? He took a #4 seed team and beat a #5 seed team whom he had already beaten twice during the regular season...that isn't saying a whole lot...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was comparing his seed to Gilliard's last year, as well as his talent. Gilliard #2, Havens #4. And winning ANY game in charleston is tough, and his team played very well against ravenswood, just met an incredible performance in the first half by Dusty Mullins and a better team.

[ QUOTE ]

he has been in that state tournament before, so this wasnt his first time. I still dont like him, havent since he came to BHS, and I just dont think he is right at all for this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what youre talking about. I dont believe he has ever taken the Montcalm boys team to Charleston. If you can let me know when he took them i would appreciate it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

he has been in that state tournament before, so this wasnt his first time. I still dont like him, havent since he came to BHS, and I just dont think he is right at all for this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what youre talking about. I dont believe he has ever taken the Montcalm boys team to Charleston. If you can let me know when he took them i would appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He took the Montcalm girls' team to Charleston back in the early 1990s...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No disrespect but i dont think you can truly compare the girl's state tournament to the boy's.

All returning that will see varsity time: parenthesis = 07-08 status

Craig Ponder(varsity)

Marcus Patterson(varsity)

Deron Reed(JV/varsity)

Robert Mitchell(varsity)

Jake Lilly(JV/varsity)

RJ Wilson(JV/varsity)

Damien Price(JV)

Kyle Harris(JV/varsity)

Byron Steptoe(JV)

Davon Crawford(JV/varsity)

Cody Wassum is expecting to play. He was planning to this year but was worn out from football. He dominated JV play his sophomore year so if he does play, he and Damien Price will be our two "big guys." And if Jerell Powell and Tevin Allen (both from Princeton) transfer like they've talked of, they will play too.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Well we arent alone in supporting Havens... here is what Mick Price said about Havens courtesy the BDT...“I think he’s probably underestimated (for) the job he did with these kids. He deserves, and Bluefield deserves, a lot of credit.â€

[ QUOTE ]

All returning that will see varsity time: parenthesis = 07-08 status

Craig Ponder(varsity)

Marcus Patterson(varsity)

Deron Reed(JV/varsity)

Robert Mitchell(varsity)

Jake Lilly(JV/varsity)

RJ Wilson(JV/varsity)

Damien Price(JV)

Kyle Harris(JV/varsity)

Byron Steptoe(JV)

Cody Wassum is expecting to play. He was planning to this year but was worn out from football. He dominated JV play his sophomore year so if he does play, he and Damien Price will be our two "big guys." And if Jerell Powell and Tevin Allen (both from Princeton) transfer like they've talked of, they will play too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Byron was telling me that Tevin is no longer coming to Bluefield after Jerome Flack was shot to death.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No disrespect but i dont think you can truly compare the girl's state tournament to the boy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never compared. I was letting you know that he did have state tournament experience, which is what the other poster was talking about.

[ QUOTE ]

Well we arent alone in supporting Havens... here is what Mick Price said about Havens courtesy the BDT...“I think he’s probably underestimated (for) the job he did with these kids. He deserves, and Bluefield deserves, a lot of credit.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Mick Price and what does he know about Bluefield basketball???

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I see Rick Wilson being a big factor next year. He has potential and will be starting IMO...

He had some good minutes in charleston.

ahhh, yes Rick haha. I just call him RJ, never heard Rick before Charleston. caught me totally off guard when they announced his name when he was subbed in against Oak Hill. When announcing the lineups they said RJ, but changed it around when he was subbed.

I say if Cody plays next year, he will start along with RJ down low. Craig, Marcus, Kyle, Cody and RJ are who I see as the starters with Deron and Damien playing well off the bench.