GMan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

The better team won, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching the game, Bluefield was not overpowered by Ravenswood by any means. Yes, Dusty Mullins was the best player on the court but Bluefield had a chance to be just as good of a basketball team, if not better than Ravenswood. Coaching is the biggest downfall for Bluefield. A couple ill-advised shots and mental breakdowns was the biggest difference in the game.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The better team won, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching the game, Bluefield was not overpowered by Ravenswood by any means. Yes, Dusty Mullins was the best player on the court but Bluefield had a chance to be just as good of a basketball team, if not better than Ravenswood. Coaching is the biggest downfall for Bluefield. A couple ill-advised shots and mental breakdowns was the biggest difference in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant leave 20points on the rim from missed layups...... USE THE BACKBOARD!!!!

Bluefield couldnt get a single rebound when they really needed them. And the fact that Bluefield has no shooters, other than Craig Ponder who took only 2 or 3 shots from beyond the arc, came back to haunt them. I dont think i have ever seen a team with a worse basketball i.q. than us. It was poor decision after poor decision.

On another note. Does anyone know any websites to find tall kids that we could bring over here in a foreign exchange program like Ravenswood did?

And I don't want to get into a battle of what was Bluefield's downfall. I’ll preface my comments by saying that I didn't see a single Bluefield game this year; I haven't since the 2005 state tournament loss to Westside. However, I've spoken with several people knowledgeable in the game of basketball that have watched Bluefield play multiple times throughout the year. I agree that coaching, or a lack thereof, was a problem throughout the season. However, blame for ill-advised shots, mental mistakes, poor shooting, stupid fouls, etc cannot be placed at the feet of the coach. The player(s) must burden the majority of that blame. I do think though that when such mistakes are made the coach should make the player aware so to try and keep it from happening in the future. From talking with the people I have Bluefield suffered from a lack of basketball I.Q. from both the coach as well as the players. These aren't your Danny Gaither coached teams, which spoiled us for so many years.

I have heard rumors that Havens is going to be taking a test to become Assistant principal at Montcalm. And if he gets the job i think he has to quit coaching. Dont quote me but this is just something i have heard.

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard rumors that Havens is going to be taking a test to become Assistant principal at Montcalm. And if he gets the job i think he has to quit coaching. Dont quote me but this is just something i have heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just quoted you on it...............in this post i made.

the thing is this game, our shooters werent shooting. Craig, Deron, Kyle, Turq, werent shooting the ball at all. They didnt have the opportunity to not shoot well because they werent shooting. Deron missed his first shot and was nervous and baffled the rest of the game. Ansel truly was the only person who showed up to play, thats it.

This is irrelevant because I agree that the players have to step up and make plays too... But I wonder what the outcome of this game, and the whole season in general, would have been if Webster was coaching this team. He always had great JV teams and maximized their potential. No disrespect at all to Havens, but all the kids loved Tony and really rallied around him, both JV and varsity teams. Coaching makes the players better, and the players, in essence, make the coaching better. Relationships between players and coaches are essential and I think it would have been interesting to watch Webster and Willie Ellison do what they could with this team since they have grown up with these kids...

Dusty Mullins of Ravenswood is one hell of a basketball player..He was just completely tearing it up in the first half..To be honest, he looked like the fastest player on the court...Bad coaching really hurt this game..Along with lack of rebounding and alot of shots that should not have been taken...

[ QUOTE ]

This is irrelevant because I agree that the players have to step up and make plays too... But I wonder what the outcome of this game, and the whole season in general, would have been if Webster was coaching this team. He always had great JV teams and maximized their potential. No disrespect at all to Havens, but all the kids loved Tony and really rallied around him, both JV and varsity teams. Coaching makes the players better, and the players, in essence, make the coaching better. Relationships between players and coaches are essential and I think it would have been interesting to watch Webster and Willie Ellison do what they could with this team since they have grown up with these kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

alot of conversations in the shadows this season on this very topic... and it is relevant...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to take a test to become an Asst. Principal??? Interesting...he better hope there aren't any questions regarding coaching basketball...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to take a test to become an Asst. Principal??? Interesting...he better hope there aren't any questions regarding coaching basketball...

[/ QUOTE ]

God know Dr. Judy Black didn't take the damn test. She couldn't pass an old lady in a Buick on 460.