Ravenswood 25 Bluefield 25 Half

GMan

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Well we arent alone in supporting Havens... here is what Mick Price said about Havens courtesy the BDT...“I think he’s probably underestimated (for) the job he did with these kids. He deserves, and Bluefield deserves, a lot of credit.â€

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Mick Price and what does he know about Bluefield basketball???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ravenswood Head Coach.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Well we arent alone in supporting Havens... here is what Mick Price said about Havens courtesy the BDT...“I think he’s probably underestimated (for) the job he did with these kids. He deserves, and Bluefield deserves, a lot of credit.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ravenswood Head Coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well then, he must be right...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Well we arent alone in supporting Havens... here is what Mick Price said about Havens courtesy the BDT...“I think he’s probably underestimated (for) the job he did with these kids. He deserves, and Bluefield deserves, a lot of credit.â€

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ravenswood Head Coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well then, he must be right...

[/ QUOTE ]

at least he has seen haven's team play...

Once again, no disrespect to Havens, but he hasn't really proven to be a good coach in my opinion. He has taken Bluefield to the state tournament one time, and didn't blow it like Gilliard did. Mind you, that Bluefield does have one of the weakest, if not the weakest sections/regions in AA. Havens was blessed with one thing that he never had at Montcalm: a team full of athletes. If Havens over-achieved with a team full athletes, put Webster in the same situation and he would have looked like the next best thing to John Wooden.

[ QUOTE ]

Once again, no disrespect to Havens, but he hasn't really proven to be a good coach in my opinion. He has taken Bluefield to the state tournament one time, and didn't blow it like Gilliard did. Mind you, that Bluefield does have one of the weakest, if not the weakest sections/regions in AA. Havens was blessed with one thing that he never had at Montcalm: a team full of athletes. If Havens over-achieved with a team full athletes, put Webster in the same situation and he would have looked like the next best thing to John Wooden.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're been knocking it out of the park with your posts the past few days...BEST POST OF THE THREAD TONIGHT...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I must disagree. This team coached by anyone else would not have won any more games than they did in the state tournament. And Havens one trip to the state tournament, was harder than Gilliard could have ever imagined.

Havens beat one of the best Pike View teams in awhile, for the FOURTH time that season, a top 10 team in the polls in Summers County, and won a game in Charleston. No disrespect to Webster, but what would make anyone think that he could do any better? This team may have had athletic talent but they lacked shooting and basketball IQ, but half of the time it was pure stupidity. Not to mention lack of experience.

I actually spent some time with a, well ill call it a "person of interest" and he told me that he believed Havens was improving as a coach, and wasnt that bad. he commented that he did not like the lack of plays Havens ran, but that is a sidenote. He also said he would be back next year in coaching...

And you can say Webster would have had a better relationship with these players, but that still would not overcome the fact that they were met by a better team in the semis.

I only see one thing Havens could improve on, discipline. And i have said it a few times, but i believe that it will come with experience and while also developing relationships with his players. He was under a lot of pressure this year, but i say he really did achieve more than i thought he would, and most of us did.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

We come back before that half and tie it at 25 going into halftime. Then Havens puts them in a zone and they crush us...

[/ QUOTE ]

bluefield was never in a zone the entire game.

could you imagine if bluefield would have had a

6-5 or 6-6 "true" center this year and ansel would have been playing more of a forward position???? why cant bluefield get a center like that. the tallest center i recall bluefield ever having was

Martin in 95, 96... he was 6-5 i think. and then matthews was like 6-4 wasnt he.

RJ Wilson has alot of potential. Ive been impressed with his limited play this season. Hopefully he will hit a growth spurt and be a 6-4 or 6-5 over the next cpl of yrs.

Deron Reed is a sophomore. He was homebound last year as a freshman and now is back at Bluefield High this year as a sophomore. This is his first year playing though, so that is why everyone thinks he is a freshman.

As for Bluefield having a "true" big man, itd be perfect. Ive played ball with Ansel a lot and he is great at being a 3 guard/small forward type of player. If he wasnt the strongest and tallest guy on our team, he'd only be better as he could show off how he can move with the ball from a guard position. I would absolutely have loved to see Ansel play for a bigger, size wise, team for him to be able to truly showcase his athelticism.

So does this look like the beaver roster for next yr minus freshman

G Craig Ponder  11

F Will Cole  12

G Jacob Lilly  11

F Robert Mitchell  12

F Kyle Harris  10

F Marcus Patterson  11

C RJ Wilson  11

G Jeffery Reed  11

G Anthony Woart 11

F Zach Foley 11

F Mathew Riggs 11

F Alex Morris 11

F James Dewitt 11

F Damian Price 11

F Brandon Davis 11

G Davon Crawford 12

[ QUOTE ]

Deron Reed is a sophomore. He was homebound last year as a freshman and now is back at Bluefield High this year as a sophomore. This is his first year playing though, so that is why everyone thinks he is a freshman.

As for Bluefield having a "true" big man, itd be perfect. Ive played ball with Ansel a lot and he is great at being a 3 guard/small forward type of player. If he wasnt the strongest and tallest guy on our team, he'd only be better as he could show off how he can move with the ball from a guard position. I would absolutely have loved to see Ansel play for a bigger, size wise, team for him to be able to truly showcase his athelticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be great to see deron reed play football this yr. not just for his potential contributions to the team, but for the influence the team can have on him. keep him in a team family atmosphere for the whole year would have a very positive impact on him.

I agree with you. But i thought the same thing would have happened to Turquan Casey when he played football for a few weeks last year. If they havent been tought to have a team mentality earlier than high school then it is harder for them to become a team player. And yes Deron had been in and out of juvy for the past couple of years.

And for the last true big man i believe it was Steven Yost from i think 97. Im pretty sure he was like 6'8".