Richland's Field

Bulldogs52

Drove by today and there coming along pretty well noticed that they have the play clocks in, they weren't there last week and to me it looks like there ready for the carpet to come in.. It's gonna make that stadium one of the best in the area, if they would just put more visitor seats in.. Can't wait too see the final stage....

[ QUOTE ]

would be nice if you could actually get visitors stands that you could see the whole field...aka higher up...not just at Richlands but everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just park up on the 4-lane. That should be plenty high enough.

[ QUOTE ]

would be nice if you could actually get visitors stands that you could see the whole field...aka higher up...not just at Richlands but everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about that...their visitor's stands may not be so bad after they put the turf in since they had to grade that mountain in the middle of the field. You may actaully be able to see the players/coaches on the Richlands sidelines from the knees up now instead of only from the neck up...

Im glad that the work is coming along quickly. A good program such as theirs deserves better playing facilities. When I went down there in 06 for the first time, I thought it was a joke that there was a hill in the middle of the field.

[ QUOTE ]

Im glad that the work is coming along quickly. A good program such as theirs deserves better playing facilities. When I went down there in 06 for the first time, I thought it was a joke that there was a hill in the middle of the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a joke....gottcha!!

As my daughter says it, the fake grass is going down, I drove by the field late Saturday afternoon and they had half the field laid down.. The blue in the the endzone looked good with the green. Gonna be nice.

[ QUOTE ]

looks like the wrong shade of blue. royal instead of navy

[/ QUOTE ]

SHHHHH! You'll hurt their feelings if you say that too loud...that's a touchy subject for some them right now...they are trying to convince themselves it will get darker when they put the rubber pellets on the field...but it is definitely the wrong shade of blue UNLESS they are changing the color of their uniforms next season...shocked.gif

I drove by there Sat. eve. on my way back from O-town - looks like about 3/4 done. They started on the elementary side and are working towards the 4-lane. They stoppped at the end of the stands, and it looked like the white line was waaaayyyyy crooked there.

[ QUOTE ]

This is the first step to lighten the school colors back to light blue and eventually turn us into Giles Spartans colors!

[/ QUOTE ]

So Richlands will eventually be wearing red and white with a little bit of baby blue thrown in??? Going to the single wing too???

eh who cares what color it is...i wish Grundy had any color field turf to play on...I must admit I would miss the muddy games, but I think I could talk myself in to accepting it lol.

I think it's cool they are getting some nice fields around here finally.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just park up on the 4-lane. That should be plenty high enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have this odd need to actually be in the stadium that I am watching a game at which prevents me from camping out in traffic to watch a game...probably a better view from up there than you would get on the visitors side though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SHHHHH! You'll hurt their feelings if you say that too loud...that's a touchy subject for some them right now...they are trying to convince themselves it will get darker when they put the rubber pellets on the field...but it is definitely the wrong shade of blue UNLESS they are changing the color of their uniforms next season...shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when they put the Mitchell rug down, the royal blue actually looked darker than it did when the product was finished. Which makes me wonder if the royal blue endzones at Richlands will look lighter than they do now. But then again, it is a different manufacturer so it may turn out ok. But if not what a screw-up.

[ QUOTE ]

So Richlands will eventually be wearing red and white with a little bit of baby blue thrown in???

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Columbia Blue/Red/White combination has already been done at Richlands (during the mid to late 1970s). Off the top of my head, Jack Lyons' hoops teams and Jim Hammond's football squads had uniforms featuring that scheme. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there is photographic evidence of local legend Snake Palmer donning the all-light blue duds during his gridiron days.

One other bit of trivia....

For some reason, I'm inclined to believe that Richlands wore white jerseys with red numerals in the home opener against Tazewell back in 1978. This is only significant because of our mascot. Effectively, the only blue on that uniform for the Blue Tornadoes was the navy blue accent stripe on the pants (and even that was bordered by two red stripes).

Consider yourselves enlightened.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks very light right now, but I've seen it up close and it's dark when the fibers are "fluffed". The crew that's installing it told me it will be even darker once the pellets are in place. That makes sense considering the turf backing that the pellets will cover is a light color and the fibers themselves are semi opaque.

[ QUOTE ]

Drove by today and there coming along pretty well noticed that they have the play clocks in, they weren't there last week and to me it looks like there ready for the carpet to come in.. It's gonna make that stadium one of the best in the area, if they would just put more visitor seats in.. Can't wait too see the final stage....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard an interesting story the other day. Back in the mid-70's when EHS was being built, the budget allowed for matching home and visitors stands AND locker rooms... but unfortunately the Tazewell athletic department was "operating in the red" at the time so the county reappropriated part of the EHS funds to them and the stadium had to be built as it is now. I mentioned this to a newspaper friend of mine and he confirmed the story. So GMan, don't blame Richlands for your lousy seat... Blame Tazewell grin.gif