What is Grundy's Record since 2000?

GrundyWinsAll

[ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to put together some info. Can you guys help me out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been really good or really bad........

2007 2-8

2006 1-9

2005 2-8

2004 9-2

2003 8-4

2002 10-3

2001 10-2

2000 I don't know the exact record, but I do know they won the southwest district. I was thinking 8-2 that year, but don't hold me to that.

well...what you need to look at to get the full picture is the last year that Vansant Elem. existed...those kids grad in 2004.

After that there is no feeder system and you get what you see...not so much enrollment as it was the death of little league...which enrollment led to the closing of the lower level schools, but..if you are looking for a smoking gun for the demise of Grundy football...that' your answer.

Enrollment has dropped 60% since 1998. The feeder system was removed last year when the eighth grade football was dropped. Little League football didn't end with Vansant. The little league had about 100 kids playing football last year. I heard the high school team had 15 kids counting eighth graders at the football meeting last week.

I don't agree at all...but everyone is entitled to their own opinions...

I just know what I have seen happen myself...you went from having 10 or more teams at one point to one..that included 6th - 9th graders...and when there were 45 kids on the sidelines, only about 12 ever played...then half of them quit to go wrestle once they got on up to the high school...by that time the ones that stood around on the sidelines and played in the dirt and never got to play were no longer interested in football.

Say what you want, but at one point you had a productive feeder system that encouraged kids to play...if you were on the team then you played...it wasn't just about winning it was about learning the game...Vansant alone had 2 teams for many years as a result and a LOT of kids got to learn the game and play. Once Vansant closed, you lost a lot of football players...the shift towards a non-productive system began....and continues.

I know and talked to a lot of the kids that played in 8th grade then quit...i'm telling you what they said...I asked why they don't play...they all said "why bother? you work your ass off and never get in the game?"...I've seen kids leave and go get Milk Duds during a game...I've seen them playing with Hot Wheels in the dirt during the game...no one cared.

It's sad that the enrollment has dropped...but that's no excuse...no one wants to play because they don't have a productive low level program where its fun for kids to learn to love the game...if there are still 400-500 kids in the school...thats enough to get 25-30 that want to play ball if they know and love the game...there are other schools with less students that have good programs...thats where the problem lies at Grundy...you can't just cry about not having a lot of kids...you have to work with the ones you have and figure out a way for them to learn the game...and in turn love the game.

You should know better than anyone that with the same amount of kids the wrestling program has still had success...maybe not domination of years past...but the program is a success still...why? because you have a group of people who care and work with the kids that wrestle...money gets spent...it's a positive situation...football had that at one time, but it's gone...by the time the kids get in the 10th grade it's too late.

In the Grundy that you keep refering to the coal buisness was booming and the housing wasn't filled by law school students. I agree that in the past it was a much better system. If you have 5 feeder schools and teams at each school more kids get to play, the 3rd and 4th teamers feel like they are quality. In a system "after consolidation" everyone is at the same school and less kids come out. Now the same "on the fence playing in the dirt" kid that was able to play a lot in the 80's is a 3rd or 4th teamer because all the teams are together. I'm talking about middle school. Now I know other teams have success with fewer kids. They have great coaching, good programs, and they compete against teams of similar enrollment. I didn't want this to turn into what the football program needs to change. I'm just gathering some info. The population of Buchanan County is down 75% since 1990.

we are pretty much on the same page...just saying that's what the problem is and where it started.

My other point was that maybe winning at the 8th grade level is not as important as it is for those 4th stringers find a way to get some playing time...because the ones that were playing in the 8th grade were for the most part not playing football anymore in the 10th or 11th grade and the ones that would have been playing are the ones that don't even go out because 8th grade killed the desire to do so.

The population is what it is...you have to find a way to work around it. There are still around 500 kids at Grundy High...they don't just show up in the 10th grade...those same kids need to be playing when they are in the 4th - 8th grade.

Post up some of the acutal population numbers you have and lets take a look at them...be interesting to see what you are looking at.

[ QUOTE ]

My other point was that maybe winning at the 8th grade level is not as important as it is for those 4th stringers find a way to get some playing time...because the ones that were playing in the 8th grade were for the most part not playing football anymore in the 10th or 11th grade and the ones that would have been playing are the ones that don't even go out because 8th grade killed the desire to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU NAILED IT!

I played on the last two "8th grade" football teams at Riverview/Grundy. Yes we won a lot of game but it was a joke. Im not going to use any names but the head coach had a son that played and wrestled. Just about everybody that started on the time was a wrestler. I played about half the time on D cause I had to share time with a wrestler that was about 2 years younger than me. I think we had 37 people to finish that year and only about 12 or 13 played it was a joke. I played last year and just got enough it, there no reason to work my butt off for a 1/3 of my summer in the heat to sit on the beach for a losing team, so I now play on the golf team and enjoy it. Plus baseball is my main sport and there was no reason on risking getting hurt on the scout team and missing baseball.

By the way, when we did have a "little league program" it was not a great program. There was two vansant teams, I played on one. One team was all the wrestlers and good people from vanast the other was from just bascially the kids that wanted to play that didnt wreslte, which was about 11 or 12 and we got killed every game..I remember because I was the QB. And it was the same 8th grade coach that coached the vansant team of wrestlers. They divied the teams up very unfairly.

yeah...both Vansant teams in the past were pretty much balanced out and it was always fun when they played each other...was always a close game.

I think the ones that are not very good at that age are the ones that need to be worked with..natural talent is great but if a kid has the desire to play and is willing to work, you can help them become a better player over time...once they get up to the 10th grade level it's much harder to do that sort of thing and with only a few people on a small team there is a "jump in the fire" situation at that point...they have to just learn along the way and that's what you see now...and along with that comes a good beating of a young team.

Another point, when you had all the lower level schools open, it was much easier for parents to get the kids to practice and all that sort of thing.

[ QUOTE ]

yeah...both Vansant teams in the past were pretty much balanced out and it was always fun when they played each other...was always a close game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the last 3 years that they had two vansant little league teams, it was not balance. One was really good because they had all the wrestlers (which alot of them dont play no more) and people from vanast. The other was just kids that wanted play that didnt wrestle. I remember, my first year I played it was pretty balance and after that they messed up where all the wrestlers where on one team just people that wanted play that didnt wrestler which barley had enough for a team, we was lucky to get 11 there every game

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to put together some info. Can you guys help me out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been really good or really bad........

2007 2-8

2006 1-9

2005 2-8

2004 9-2

2003 8-4

2002 10-3

2001 10-2

2000 I don't know the exact record, but I do know they won the southwest district. I was thinking 8-2 that year, but don't hold me to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Golden Waves record is inversely proportional to how heavy Jack Comption is at the start of two a days. Back in 2001 and 2002, SlimJim Jack was doing the Richard Simmons thing and was a lightweight when practice started. Ever since he went on the high carb / high fat diet back in 2005, his weight has teeter totted north and south of 300. Did anybody see how heavy he was this morning? The heavier he is, the more games the Wave will loose...easy to figure this one out!

Everbody doesnt get to play. Everybody will never get to play. Once you step out of little league you have to earn your time. Thats for every sport. Coaches are paid to do a job and are expected to have quality results while doing their job. If you arent good enough to start or to earn any playing time at all, then maybe the kid should have worked harder when he or she was younger. If a kid is better he's better. Whoever the coach feels gives his team the best chance to win is who should play.

[ QUOTE ]

Everbody doesnt get to play. Everybody will never get to play. Once you step out of little league you have to earn your time. Thats for every sport. Coaches are paid to do a job and are expected to have quality results while doing their job. If you arent good enough to start or to earn any playing time at all, then maybe the kid should have worked harder when he or she was younger. If a kid is better he's better. Whoever the coach feels gives his team the best chance to win is who should play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then you only get 15 people who play. If you go out and practice you should play...I can see in a close game what you are saying would be true...but, in a blowout either way...which is mostly what Grundy sees these days...no excuse for everyone not getting in the game...not saying you hand anyone anything they don't deserve...but if you are down by 20+ points at the half...and you only have 20+ kids on the sidelines...everyone should play....that's all I'm saying...you try to win, but you have to know when it's not going to happen and do what's best for your program...and if the 11 on the field are getting beat like a drum, they aren't that great to begin with.

[ QUOTE ]

If you go out and practice you should play...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you participate, you should get a trophy...grin.gif

I think you've been in Abingdon too long, the "soccer-mom" mentality is growing on you...must be something in the water down there...shocked.gif

no i just think if you only have 20 kids you can find a way to let them all get in a game...kick off team or something...obviously if you have a larger size team that's not going to be an option...let's not mistake what I'm saying here. In Grundy's case a lot of kids won't turn out because they were good enough to play in the lower grades, but weren't given a chance to do so...that problem has since been corrected I think...but I still think if you have 20 - 25 kids you can find a way to get all of the kids in a game somehow...I don't think everyone needs a trophy, thats stupid...and you should know everyone from Grundy moves to Abingdon at some point...lol. I'd move to Grundy in a heartbeat if there was anything there...but, there's not.

[ QUOTE ]

no i just think if you only have 20 kids you can find a way to let them all get in a game...kick off team or something...obviously if you have a larger size team that's not going to be an option...let's not mistake what I'm saying here. In Grundy's case a lot of kids won't turn out because they were good enough to play in the lower grades, but weren't given a chance to do so...that problem has since been corrected I think...but I still think if you have 20 - 25 kids you can find a way to get all of the kids in a game somehow...I don't think everyone needs a trophy, thats stupid...and you should know everyone from Grundy moves to Abingdon at some point...lol. I'd move to Grundy in a heartbeat if there was anything there...but, there's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abingdon, otherwise known as Grundy on the Holston...LOL...

I knew what you're saying, I was just poking fun at the choice of words. I agree if you've got 20 kids that bust their butts everyday and are capable of playing, give them a chance...

[ QUOTE ]

Abingdon, otherwise known as Grundy on the Holston...LOL...

It's true, Abingdon is a mecca for Buchanan County retirees and their families. Just as you would go to Hardees at Richlands and hear the old timers talking mining and the union, the same is true in Abingdon at Hardees. It's refreshing to hear--it reminds me of home.