When will Graham, Tazewell, Richlands and Grundy go Single A?

GrundyWinsAll

I think Richlands is in the 700's somewhere. I dont think you will see these school drop, but if they did I think it will be many years before you see that. It would be a shame to see that day come.

740 was the cut-off last year, and Richlands was just 30 over that. Just need to shift a couple dozen to Tazewell & all 3 could be A.

Of course, with a few new big schools and some enrollment gains by those right below, the Blues might be A next time around without any line-tweaking.

[ QUOTE ]

740 was the cut-off last year, and Richlands was just 30 over that. Just need to shift a couple dozen to Tazewell & all 3 could be A.

Of course, with a few new big schools and some enrollment gains by those right below, the Blues might be A next time around without any line-tweaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely...the time will come when all three drop to Class A and that time is drawing ever so near...

I think it will be much smarter for all the schools to drop at the same time...plus there is the oustide chance that they will reclassify the levels and expand to a 4A or 5A system...which would be the smart thing for the VHSL to do...more teams in the playoffs, better match ups of schools by size, and more state champs...whats not to like from the VHSL's point of view on that....plus it would finally level out some of the NOVA schools that are AAA and would be 5A in that situation.

I think that you could see the AA level stay in the 400-800 range in that sort of situation...A level 400 or less...or something along those lines.

to be honest i wish VA could work out a plan like WV has.they could do it maybe add 4 more teams to make the total to top 20 teams and extend the playoffs a week longer or something.im sure they could work it out.i would just like to see the teams that deserve to be in the playoffs get their chance.didnt honaker miss the playoffs a few years back with a 9-1 record.ive seen teams get it with a 4-6 record before,now thats a messed up system if you ask me.

2003 honaker lost 1 game.0-6 to haysi and missed the playoffs.ridiculous.i know their in the same district,but they shouldve met again.they were almost mirror images of each other that year.honaker scored 357 pnts gave up 72 and haysi 334 pnts and gave up 99.thats in 10 games.my point is,is that va needs to do something.a team shouldnt be cleaning out their lockers with a 9-1 record.and its happening too much.

[ QUOTE ]

With the declining enrollments of SWVA when do you guys think these schools will drop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never. There will be two consolidated High Schools built in Tazewell County first. I don't know about Buchannan County.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

With the declining enrollments of SWVA when do you guys think these schools will drop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never. There will be two consolidated High Schools built in Tazewell County first. I don't know about Buchannan County.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will be a long time before Tazewell Co. has the money to build to new high schools...current facilities won't cut it...

don't look for any changes soon at Grungy. When they found out a couple of years ago now high construction prices were, talks of a new school died instantly. I think once some road work gets done, it'll fire up again. If the town is moving up the mtn, the school should, too. Then they'll see if closing Hurley or Council is an option.

the idea to put the school, or anything on top of poplar gap is stupid...look at the law school...the Jr.High was in worse shape than the High School is now...would be MUCH cheaper to invest in an upgrade to the existing High School and if the population is headed as far south as everyone is saying it is going to be, then there is MORE than enough room at the existing High School for everyone.

I can't believe they are even considering doing anything on top of poplar gap...they built all these fields up there and no one can get to them in the winter...not in a safe way anyway....so you are telling me that you are going to bus kids from all over the county up there? get out of here...that's just crazy talk.

There is no reason why you can't just re-do the existing High School like they did the Jr. High.

The town needs to get it in gear and get the new town that was supposed to be done in 2007 finished...they've already bitten off more than anyone over there can chew...get something completed before you go talking about all these new projects.

What I'm Hearing is there expanding the Airport to a Cargo Airport. The "Poplar Gar Project" will have 3 "factory" buildings, a planned community with housing for 3 differant income levels, the park, four lane road to the coal fields expressway, state of the art technology, and there is still room for the Buchanan County High School or Grundy if we aren't made to change the name. I expect in the next 5 years the School board will close Hurley, Twin Valley, and Council. They will also be closing Russell prater and J.M. Bevins. All the elementary kids will be bussed to Riverview and the High school kids will go to the Gap. I expect council kids will go to Haysi. The other two schools will probabally be closed in seperate years to keep the uproar to a minimum. This is the only way to keep enrollment up and costs down. I don't like the way it sounds, but I'm not in charge.

[ QUOTE ]

expanding the Airport to a Cargo Airport. The "Poplar Gar Project" will have 3 "factory" buildings, a planned community with housing for 3 differant income levels, the park, four lane road to the coal fields expressway, state of the art technology

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, keep dreaming on this one...

[ QUOTE ]

I expect in the next 5 years the School board will close Hurley, Twin Valley, and Council. They will also be closing Russell prater and J.M. Bevins. All the elementary kids will be bussed to Riverview and the High school kids will go to (Grundy).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only likely thing to come out of this...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will be a long time before Tazewell Co. has the money to build to new high schools...current facilities won't cut it...

[/ QUOTE ]

They (the TCSB and the TCC) won't let a little thing like funding get in the way.

[ QUOTE ]

What I'm Hearing is there expanding the Airport to a Cargo Airport. The "Poplar Gar Project" will have 3 "factory" buildings, a planned community with housing for 3 differant income levels, the park, four lane road to the coal fields expressway, state of the art technology, and there is still room for the Buchanan County High School or Grundy if we aren't made to change the name. I expect in the next 5 years the School board will close Hurley, Twin Valley, and Council. They will also be closing Russell prater and J.M. Bevins. All the elementary kids will be bussed to Riverview and the High school kids will go to the Gap. I expect council kids will go to Haysi. The other two schools will probabally be closed in seperate years to keep the uproar to a minimum. This is the only way to keep enrollment up and costs down. I don't like the way it sounds, but I'm not in charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the same town that has been trying to 4 lane the same stretch of highway from what was Singleton's then Heck's now Peebles or whatever it is to the end of town limits...and still hasn't been able to pull that off...it took them 20 years to get half way...what in the world makes you believe they can build all of this stuff in any sort of realistic time frame?

They should be making plans to re-do Grundy High in the mean time while they make all these other plans to do all this great expansion. Maybe someday our great great grandkids will see some of it completed....they are already 2 years behind on building a new town and that's with the corp of engineers running "most" of the show.

The poplar gap project is a pipe dream and a waste of money and time...unless there is something that is going to make whoever owns the land a ton of money...that whole area is remote...why not invest it in the current area and outskirts they just blew up and tore down?

Wal-Mart - word is they're waiting until Main St. gets done b4 they start building, so it'll be a while yet.

About the CFX - Alpha changed the path so it doesn't bother Looney's Creek or Harman - it'll be beside 6 & 20 now and go straight up the hill to within a mile of P-Gap. Easy access from Hurley/Slate Creek, and just minutes from downtown.

About the school - talked to someone about 10 years ago about remodeling - can't be done at a reasonable cost. No room to build new while the old is still there, unless they lose the ballfield for about 4 years. The Jr. High & Garden were easy to fix once they were empty. There's no place left that could be a temp. HS for 2 years.

Yeah, Hurley will prob. close, but I think TV will stay open.

About the town - Rem., it's not the town, it's VDOT and the Corps that's footing the bill and dragging their feet. In case you didn't know, the "new town" will be up high - they're moving the courthouse & jail up there, too. All that will be left down here is lawyers, maybe the PO, a bank and the new museum showing the old Grundy (I've got some Lynwood & Ben Franklin stuff waiting for someplace to go).

The Airport - Don't understand the whole deal. They've killed the new one on Harman to expand the old one. But that will require closing it for, oh, about 5 years. I'd say we'll end up with a landing strip while they mine out the old one. Don't really know what they can do with a mile-long runway in the middle of nowhere.