G-MEN STRONGER UP FRONT

zack

On first day, leaders step up for G-Men

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD, Va. — It would be fine with Doug Marrs if the 2008 Graham High School football team was boring — as long as that leads to wins.

Marrs and his assistants led approximately 60 G-Men through a spirited workout Monday morning, the first day of high school football practice in the state of Virginia. West Virginia schools begin football practice next Monday.

Marrs said the next five days or so will be focused on “working on conditioning, the mental part and the physical part.â€

“This was a pretty good practice, this morning,†Marrs said. “I knew it was a good practice when, about two minutes ’til 9, I looked out here and we were already lined up. We were ready when I came out of the dressing room.â€

That was a tribute to his veterans’ willingness to volunteer for responsibility, he said. “We played with a bunch of young kids last year. They knew that, kind of, the monkey was on their back to be leaders, and they did a nice job this morning. ... They know what we expect.â€

He has the expectation that Graham will be able to control the ball and wear down defenses.

“I hope we’re boring as can be,†he said. “I’d really like to just be a boring football team, and just run, run. ... If you run a 12-play drive, and a 15-play drive, and a 10-play drive, it wears on (your opponent). It really does.â€

There is another option besides the run, and Marrs seemed inclined on Monday to throw that at the opposition as well.

The coach said, “We’ve got a quarterback (David Marrs) who can throw the ball. He threw for over a thousand yards last year, the most yardage we’ve had throwing since H.T. (Mathews). We can throw the ball a little bit. We’ve got to find us a couple of receivers.

“We didn’t throw the ball much this morning, but we found a couple of kids this morning who we think might can catch a ball, so we can add a little bit more throwing to it.

“But it’s fine with us to be boring.â€

Two important elements are in place for success, a couple of seniors reported at lunchtime Monday. Running back Ronnie Scott said, “We’ve got some speed this year.â€

From the perspective of the line of scrimmage, Josh Halsey, an offensive guard, said, “We’ve got a lot of talent I think, up front, big guys, strong guys. I believe we’ll be pretty good up front.â€

Halsey said a lot of work has taken place in the weight room. “Actually, the whole team has been in there all summer — well, all fall, all winter. We’ve been in there for awhile. So we’ve got some pretty strong guys.â€

Marrs said, “We feel like, right now, we’re as strong as we’ve been in many, many years, just physically strong. But physically strong won’t beat anybody. ...

“That’s just one part of many parts. You can be physically strong, and have poor technique, and you’re going to get beat every time. That’s just one part of the whole gamut.

“But we’re much better strength-wise than we were last year.â€

Scott said, “We have a lot of younger guys who stepped up last year and played with us. As far as leadership (goes), the seniors are going to have to start it, but we’ve got a lot of younger guys who’ll step up and fill that role as well.â€

“We know the plays, and all that,†he said, adding that the real key to his team’s success is “coming together as a team, a family.â€

— Contact Tom Bone at

tbone@bdtonline.com

• Click to discuss this story with other readers on our

everyone knows by now that the G-Men will have a big physical line.and have a solid backfield.my only concern is the QB.david was solid last year,and i was impressed with him.but he suffered 2 concussions and if he is protected from that happening this year we will be fine,but if he gets hammered one good hard time,well that could be a problem.i just hope we stay healthy.one more thing i hope he doesnt play any defense.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

he did.

It was towards the last few minutes when you were forced to pass...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That great line allowed that to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what you want, but that line was much better than what Tazewell put on the field last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I will say what I want. I didn't play last year or the year before that or the year before that for Tazewell. When I played you guys were still getting ur asses wiped by mommy.. I was being nice to the Graham people in another post and they wanna turn around every thing you tell them, so piss on ya.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That great line allowed that to happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what you want, but that line was much better than what Tazewell put on the field last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I will say what I want. I didn't play last year or the year before that or the year before that for Tazewell. When I played you guys were still getting ur asses wiped by mommy.. I was being nice to the Graham people in another post and they wanna turn around every thing you tell them, so piss on ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, but if you played for Tazewell anytime in the last 20 years or so then you were getting your butt kicked by Graham. What have you beaten us 4 times since 1988. And two of those were in the playoffs. Sometimes its better to just keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are a moron, rather than open your mouth and prove it.

[ QUOTE ]

You're one to talk. Saying they beat you twice in the playoffs means they sent your butts home, so your point isn't very well proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey stupid, if you have a record against someone that is about 20-4 in the last twenty years that is pretty good. Now go away new boy. Don't you have some Cole ass to kiss?

Putting all the animosity aside, lets not forget that this version of the G-MEN line is the same line (that I remember) that played very physically against extremely good Richlands and Marion teams last year. They are returning lot's of expeirence and I know that most of them worked their tails of in the off season. They are BIG and it would appear that they will take advantage of that size and run the ball. I was at the Marion playoff game and recall some of the big hits that the QB was taking late in the game. It was a tough game and Graham was forced to pass late to try and win. That allowed Marion to pin their ears back and put pressure on a young line and offense. My prediction is that you will see a rumbling bumbling g-man team that will stay close in most games and win more often than not. And before anyone gets there shorts in a bunch about this I must also point out that last year I stated that Graham would not do well due to a lack of talent. I ate crow on that one and will not doubt this team. They are seasoned and ready.

With graham returning that much they should have a good year. It will come down the Blues and Graham for the district title I think even though the Blues are replacing alot and are young.

Yes, but two losses where it counts really stings, eh? Now just sit back, find something to be completely wrong about, become completely misinformed, and make an idiot of yourself again. We all know youre capable of such.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but two losses where it counts really stings, eh? Now just sit back, find something to be completely wrong about, become completely misinformed, and make an idiot of yourself again. We all know youre capable of such.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it do you??? You need another timeout...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it do you??? You need another timeout...

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't get what?! That his opinion is not wanted by the powers-that-be on this board? What about the opinions of those in power that us regular guys don't like? There isn't a damn thing we can do about them is there?

Oh, I really liked it when I tried to make a point about something you did wrong and what did you do? Erase the entire thread, because we all know that Gman can't mess up.

Childish...