Richlands @ Gate City?

applebarn

I expect a hard hitting, well coached game on both side. Both teams will come out and try to set the tone early. Both teams are expected to do well this season. GC has around 20 returning starters from last year & Richlands seems to re-load every year. Legion field should be electric this Friday night. I hope it is GC's year, either way I think this will be a good old fashion south west virginia football game.

Guest RedAshMash

Could be a slobber knocker come fri night at legion field.

Remember, in 2006 Richlands beat Gate City 44-14 at GC.

I would say they want a little payback.

Can they do it?? Don't bet on it. Richlands has a really stout D again this year.

Richlands by 17.

GC all the way... richlands is a great team but they dont have Anderson in there backfield.. there kinda lackin a good quarterback since mccracken left.. but good game im sure.. i dont see either team winning by more than 7

GC all the way... richlands is a great team but they dont have Anderson in there backfield.. there kinda lackin a good quarterback since mccracken left.. but good game im sure.. i dont see either team winning by more than 7

Anderson was there last year--and the Blues did okay. Elswick (qb) was one of the main players who led the Blues to the state finals last year. Not as tall as McCracken, does have sideburns, but can throw the ball very well.

Just got back from the game, and all I can say is, "wow!" Gate City really showed up to play and they laid it to us. They have a great team. Their offense was amazing. I’m not sure if their defense was that stellar, or if our offense was that flat. Either way they played a heck of a game.

Our defense played ok in the first half, but GC's QB (#12) and RB (#8) were too much to contain. They did do a much better job of containing them in the second half though. Our secondary seemed to have some issues at some points in the game, but I think that was a product of the running attack being so dangerous.

The Blues could be in for a long season if they can’t find an offensive rhythm. Nothing seemed to work for us. Again I will hand it to GC's defense for a great game, but our offense just didn’t click at all. Overall, I was under impressed with the team and overly impressed with Gate City's team. I just hope things get a little better before district play start, because with the games that Tazewell and Graham played tonight we wouldn’t stand a chance against them right now.

Just my $0.02.

It just goes to show you, never say never, and don't count your chickens before they hatch. In football, there are many things that can make or break a team. It is all about team effort. Whatever the reason Richlands lost, maybe this year will be more of a challenge than the past ones for them. Anyway you look at it "The Blues are Blue tonight"!!

Richlands will be fine. I think their passing game could be dangerous. GC made alot of mistakes tonight that they'll have to address, and I have no doubt that they will. Richlands beat us in the first game last year and we still made it to the state championship game with 3 losses. Never say never. Good luck to the Blues the rest of the way.

Richlands will be fine. I think their passing game could be dangerous. GC made alot of mistakes tonight that they'll have to address, and I have no doubt that they will. Richlands beat us in the first game last year and we still made it to the state championship game with 3 losses. Never say never. Good luck to the Blues the rest of the way.

I agree Quincy, but if the Blues dont improve on thier prefoemance last night then it iwll be a long season. Also GC did have a few mistakes, but the Blues couldnt take advantage of them. Good luck the rest of the season to Gate City.

I think that Richlands has the talent to do some damage on offense. The concern this year though should be the defense. In my opinion, they looked sluggish, somewhat confused, and out of place alot Friday night. Give credit where credit is due, Gate City's QB and RB were amazing, not to mention their kicker giving them a 46 yard field goal!! I just hope that the defense wakes up against Honaker, and the offense finds a rhythm in practice on Monday!!

Richlands is talented, but it's raw talent. Simply put, they are young and they are one year away. They will be fine this year losing 2 more games at most and going 7-3, 8-2 and likely win a weak Region 4. Richlands will not make the state title game this year.

I think that Richlands has the talent to do some damage on offense. The concern this year though should be the defense. In my opinion, they looked sluggish, somewhat confused, and out of place alot Friday night. Give credit where credit is due, Gate City's QB and RB were amazing, not to mention their kicker giving them a 46 yard field goal!! I just hope that the defense wakes up against Honaker, and the offense finds a rhythm in practice on Monday!!

The Gaty City offense has a lot of 3 year starters and sounds like the 06 Richlands team, talented. There going to make a lot of people look confused this year. The Richlands offense skilled ,except qb, are young, have some growing and evoling to do, in three years and I'm sure before they will be making some teams look confused.

Edited by thundercloud

an incident in the Gate City-Richlands game. The only thing I could glean from it was that maybe a GC player hit a Richlands player with his helmet and caused an injury. Some reference too that it was very intentional. Anybody shed some light on this?

I was watching the play develop, but all I seen was after the play was over a Richlands player was complaining to the ref for 5-10 seconds (that I seen) with his helmet on the ground. The referee obviously hadn't seen anything because he didn't throw the flag until the discussion with the player. Once he threw the flag, the player flopped on his back and grabbed his head. A player from Gate City was ejected and the Richlands player finished the game at his offensive line position. This took place on 3rd down pass play that Richlands didn't convert in mid/late fourth quarter with the score 27-7 in Gate City's favor. After the Blue Tornadoes scored with a little less than three minutes left in the game, the Richlands player in question stayed out on the field after the PAT talking to the head official while both teams left the field of play onto the sidelines.

I'm not drawing any conclusions and not saying what or what didn't happen, but thankfully we have video in this day and time that can sort out just exactly what did transpire so there will be no doubt. Myself, I would trust the word of whoever the officials, coaches, et al that will review the film over internet messageboard gossip/accusations. Good luck to the Blue Tornadoes the rest of the season.

Edited by Observer77